5:2 fasting

Options
2»

Replies

• flinx1241
    flinx1241 Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    Ahh... that awkward moment where you realize that you are "on the same side" of a discussion as the person shouting at everyone in CAPS LOCK...
  • harpsdesire
    harpsdesire Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Is there some secret to fasting without the negative effects like being shaky and faint?

I'd like to try this but I can't really go long without eating or I feel quite terrible. I'm quite overweight so I know I have plenty of stored fuel in my body. Why does fasting make me so sick and tired?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    asheekah wrote: »
    Hi
    Is anyone doing this? I've just completed day 1 finishing up on 500 cals eaten/drank. I ran for 40 mins too burning 400 cals. A good 1st day I think?

Well .....we'll see. Weight loss is a marathon, not a sprint. Can you keep this up for months on end?

I do 5:2 also, but my 500 calorie days are my rest days. I figure I can workout on my maintenance days. Only eating 500 calories gave you a deficit already, and large deficits make it hard for your body to support existing lean muscle....something to think about.

Here's a link to the 5:2 Group:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100058-5-2-fasting
  • FoxyMars25
    FoxyMars25 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Is there some secret to fasting without the negative effects like being shaky and faint?

I'd like to try this but I can't really go long without eating or I feel quite terrible. I'm quite overweight so I know I have plenty of stored fuel in my body. Why does fasting make me so sick and tired?

Drink lots of fluids! I start the day with black coffee, move to tea (usually herbal as too much caffeine without food does give me a headache) and then LOTS of water. I was really worried I would get shaky/dizzy, but I have been completely fine so far.
  • GlenG1969
    GlenG1969 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Hi
    Is anyone doing this? I've just completed day 1 finishing up on 500 cals eaten/drank. I ran for 40 mins too burning 400 cals. A good 1st day I think?

Well .....we'll see. Weight loss is a marathon, not a sprint. Can you keep this up for months on end?

I do 5:2 also, but my 500 calorie days are my rest days. I figure I can workout on my maintenance days. Only eating 500 calories gave you a deficit already, and large deficits make it hard for your body to support existing lean muscle....something to think about.

Not necessary mate, you are only limiting calories for two non-consecutive days a week. I am no expert but I know It takes longer than 24hrs for the body to start to converting muscle tissue into energy, when in starvation mode. Personally I think the 5:2 is great because of the drop in insulin levels, causing the body to turn to its fat stores for fuel.

That said I don’t lift weights on fast days, but I do smash out the cardio. Also I normally go a little higher on my calories between 700-800 in line with the original Fat Diet I saw on a the T-Nation body building website a while back.

• snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I can imagine doing this for a week, maybe two. I find that once I deplete glycogen from not eating enough I am in the danger zone...then I feel like crap, end up making bad decisions with my food

• Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Hi

Whether or not you train on a fasted day is personal preference. Cardio or lifting. if it affects performance to train fasted then don't.

I found I manipulated what I ate the day/night before and it improved training on fasted days. I've always trained fasted, even when I was running a daily deficit but this gave me extra cals to play with the day before and I noticed better performance the following training day. So it just depends on the individual.
  • Karen_DisneyFan
    Karen_DisneyFan Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Yep, another happy 5:2 member here. I usually fast on Monday & Thursday, so today is a fast day for me :)
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I'm currently pregnant but am thinking of trying some kind of fasting to shift the baby weight post pregnancy. I find that if I eat breakfast I feel hungry for the remainder of the day and seem to want to snack all morning between breakfast and lunch so maybe that kind of fasting may work for me.
  • Qskim
    Options

Then don't do the method. Perhaps you have an existing underlying medical condition? Medication? This can affect fasting. If you aren't eating at your maintenance level on up days this too can affect fasting days. Food choice can affect fasting days.

So, for you it sounds like the standard daily deficit is the better option. It's going to give you the same rate of loss as the 5:2. The 5:2 is not a "fast" as in speed of loss...it's a way of eating that condenses a weekly deficit into two days rather than spread over 7. Initial losses can be quick like any other method but then it can eventually trickle like any other method.

• Qskim
    Options
    I'm currently pregnant but am thinking of trying some kind of fasting to shift the baby weight post pregnancy. I find that if I eat breakfast I feel hungry for the remainder of the day and seem to want to snack all morning between breakfast and lunch so maybe that kind of fasting may work for me.

You planning to breastfeed? I was super hungry breastfeeding! Might be a difficult balance there with the 5:2. Be worth asking in the group link above perhaps if other members have done it.
  • Roxie8611
    Roxie8611 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have been doing 4:3 for the past 3 weeks and I love it! Lost weight and feeling good. Also did my first workout today on a fast day
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Hi

I did alternate day IF for my weight loss phase and then used 5:2IF as a transition from active weight loss to maintenance. I now do 16:8IF as part of my maintenance plan :) There's a IF group here on MFP that you'll probably find helpful,
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Options

Intermittent fasting is not traditional fasting-you still eat on your 'fasting' days, just lower amounts of calories (around 500). It's not for everyone, but for me personally, I loved doing it and I continue to do a form of IF now that I'm in maintenance :)
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options

Everybody's at least a little bit different and fasting may just not be the thing for you. It may be a good idea to check with your doctor before trying this. I have read that fasting might be a bad idea for diabetics.

I recall a time long before I tried fasting when one day I had to wait until after 10 AM before I could eat because of a blood test. I was weak and grumpy and I thought I would expire long before 10:00 got there. But when I first tried fasting (intentionally) I didn't have a problem. So, I guess my attitude had something to do with it.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Options

Everybody's at least a little bit different and fasting may just not be the thing for you. It may be a good idea to check with your doctor before trying this. I have read that fasting might be a bad idea for diabetics.

I recall a time long before I tried fasting when one day I had to wait until after 10 AM before I could eat because of a blood test. I was weak and grumpy and I thought I would expire long before 10:00 got there. But when I first tried fasting (intentionally) I didn't have a problem. So, I guess my attitude had something to do with it.

You bring up a good point-from everything I've read, this plan is NOT a good fit for those who are diabetics.
  • angela233Z
    angela233Z Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I love it. It is the best diet i have ever tried ( and I have done a bunch). Anytime I tried calorie counting, weight watchers etc, I got tired of counting every day and losing so slowly. I am losing at the same rate- but only have to think about it 2 days a week.

The fast days get easier with time - as you learn what works/doesn't for you.
    Here is what works for me
    1 - stay busy
    2 - eat one large meal after 4 pm ( 500 calories, but lots of vegies and soup)
    3- be prepared with healthy, delicious options ( raspberries and asparagus today)

come join our 5:2 group

good luck
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    it's only for 2 days a week that you under-eat. The rest of the time you eat very well. I've read research that actually promotes a higher rate of fat loss by exercising (cardio) in a fasted state

The research I read showed a very minor benefit for fasted cardio, but that was often countered by being well fueled for a workout, enabling better performance. If it was clearly superior and backed up then most people would do it, rater than it being personal choice.
  • Juliecsimpson001
    Juliecsimpson001 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have been working with an amazing company that has a fasting component. It's easy and provides an encredible amount of health benefits. I am an athlete and easily work out and/or run on fasting days. It's all about the quality of nutrition consumed on a fasting day.