Food Diary - meat?

Hi, if i search for meat such as sirloin steak is it the weight uncooked or cooked that I go by?

Replies

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    uh.... you eat it cooked, right? So therefore I would use the cooked ounces/nutrients.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Uncooked.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Uncooked
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,959 Member
    edited November 2014
    I weigh it raw and choose an entry that says "raw". This way, if I freeze it, I can still weigh it frozen (fresh raw and frozen raw weigh the same if the container was well sealed). However, once it thaws, it loses water and loses weight (cells bursting) in comparison to the fresh raw. I don't like weighing things cooked because the weight can vary too much. For example, if you cook a steak to medium rare vs. well done, the medium rare will weigh more (still has lots of water internally). Meanwhile they're still the same number of calories. The entries on MFP don't seem to differentiate between doneness and even if they did you still couldn't trust if your definition or MFP's definition were the same.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    gothchiq wrote: »
    uh.... you eat it cooked, right? So therefore I would use the cooked ounces/nutrients.

Unfortunately things aren't that simple. Just know that the calories in an "8 ounce" steak are for a steak that weighs 8 ounces BEFORE it's cooked.
  • Thank you everyone x
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    It depends on whether you weighed it cooked or uncooked. Ideally, weigh it uncooked, as it's not affected by how done you like it.
  • mobo1989
    mobo1989 Posts: 6 Member
    So if an uncooked steak was 8 ounces with 200 calories in it, and after I cook it only weighs 6 ounces, does it still have those 200 calories and same nutritional values?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    mobo1989 wrote: »
    So if an uncooked steak was 8 ounces with 200 calories in it, and after I cook it only weighs 6 ounces, does it still have those 200 calories and same nutritional values?

Yes.
  • ithrowconfetti
    ithrowconfetti Posts: 451 Member
    mobo1989 wrote: »

Um, is that a serious question? Yes. It still has the same number of calories. It's like wilting spinach or cooking mushrooms. They'll shrink in size after cooking, because of moisture content, but calories will still stay the same.
  • chooksta1
    chooksta1 Posts: 1 Member
    what about bacon cook on a grill it loses it's fat content does it still have the same as raw
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    chooksta1 wrote: »
    what about bacon cook on a grill it loses it's fat content does it still have the same as raw

Bacon packages that I've seen usually list calories as per "1 pan fried slice" so it sounds for the fat rendered off the bacon.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Long answer - always log raw if possible. If not, log cooked but use a 'cooked' entry (which is tough for steak as you don't know what 'cooked' means really... rare, medium?).