Jump rope

Options
So I want to jump rope for 10-15 mins daily. Well I can't make it to 10 mins. Someone please tell me it gets easier the more I do it please lol

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Yes...
  • sweetandsassyred
    sweetandsassyred Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I wish I could, but as sad as it is to say I have yet to learn how to jump rope. I am just a big klutz. I do jump rope with out the rope and after a while it did get easier. I think it's like anything else you practice enough you don't even seem to notice that you've improved.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Yes, by progressively working on this you will build the endurance and skill to be able to continue for longer periods of time. You can make that progression happen by either pushing to just go longer each time. Or you can go until you need a rest, take a minute or two rest, and then do another session, rest, and then a third. These “reps” will get easier (longer) and you can reduce your rest. Patience, perseverance, progression.

Enjoy!
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Yes you will build stamina and it will get easier. I had to stop due to arthritis, but my duaghter would jump rope with me, remember how you could do doubles with one person jumping in, that is what she would do. Between doing it together and how long it took for her to jump in, she could keep me going with 15 seconds rest now and again for up to 30 minutes. Kids are great incentive :smiley:

Enjoy it!

Oh and try chanting some of those old games for jumprope when you were little, it can make it more fun and less difficult.
  • goldfishgoo
    goldfishgoo Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    So I want to jump rope for 10-15 mins daily. Well I can't make it to 10 mins. Someone please tell me it gets easier the more I do it please lol

I just bought one from amazon. It should arrive today. I've been doing bodylastics band exercises as an intro to, hmmmm, moving. So far, so good. I don't see results but I am feeling them. With the jump rope, I read that it is great exercise and works the whole body. This should be interesting. I'm a total klutz. Oh well, at least I'll be entertainment for the neighbors!

Please update how you are doing with the jump rope. It helps knowing there are others doing this who are not already experts! Any motivation I can get is nice! o:)
  • goldfishgoo
    Options

Oh! I forgot to mention this: there is a cool video on youtube that is a great help for beginner jumpers. Look for the one by: Tim Haft. The video is called: 'Rope Jumping for Fitness: How to correct 5 common mistakes'. Give that a view. I think it prevented some things I just know I would be doing! Best wishes. :)
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    hmm I never really try for distance . I have tried to do 1000 revolutions without a mistake. I do know the way I jump rope it helps increases other cardio endurance.
  • goldfishgoo
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    hmm I never really try for distance . I have tried to do 1000 revolutions without a mistake. I do know the way I jump rope it helps increases other cardio endurance.

Hire long have you been doing this? I'm not sure I could get through 5 minutes nevermind 10. I think right now my goal is coordination so I'll want to build that stamina!
  • yopeeps025
    Options

Hire long have you been doing this? I'm not sure I could get through 5 minutes nevermind 10. I think right now my goal is coordination so I'll want to build that stamina!

I use jump rope to do variations of High intensity interval training. I have been jump roping for years consistantly.
    Last year some MFPer called me out saying that it is impossible for someone to jump rope like 60 revolutions in 20 seconds so I made a youtube video showing that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhaPfdvPw1M
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You have to work up to it, just like any other exercise. I remember the days in elementary school when I could jump rope and sing at the same time and not feel winded. When I started back up with jumping rope last year I could make it maybe 30 seconds while huffing and puffing. Gradually it got easier and I lengthened my jump rope intervals. I can't say that I do it for 10 minutes at a time but it definitely is much more enjoyable and doable now.
  • goldfishgoo
    edited April 2015
    Options

I use jump rope to do variations of High intensity interval training. I have been jump roping for years consistantly.
    Last year some MFPer called me out saying that it is impossible for someone to jump rope like 60 revolutions in 20 seconds so I made a youtube video showing that.

Oh my goodness!!! Yes, yes, I saw that video. You are incredible! I only wish I could get to jumping like that! You are an inspiration. Thanks for posting that. As I said, my rope should arrive today and I'll get started. I'll be slow as herd of galapogas turtles running through peanut butter. ;) Oh well. I managed to get through the body bands daily so this can happen too.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I wish I could, but as sad as it is to say I have yet to learn how to jump rope. I am just a big klutz. I do jump rope with out the rope and after a while it did get easier. I think it's like anything else you practice enough you don't even seem to notice that you've improved.

You will eventually figure out the rhythm and pace that works for you, just keep at it.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

Oh my goodness!!! Yes, yes, I saw that video. You are incredible! I only wish I could get to jumping like that! You are an inspiration. Thanks for posting that. As I said, my rope should arrive today and I'll get started. I'll be slow as herd of galapogas turtles running through peanut butter. ;) Oh well. I managed to get through the body bands daily so this can happen too.

I actually hit my jump rope harder than I do with my weight training. I did that so that I should never get efficient at what calories and repair process (more calories) I burn. I look at that video and yes I notice the more weight I have dropped. I was close to 20-30 pounds more in that video that I am way faster at it now. I can effortlessly get up to 70 revolutions on both feet jumps. Keeping that pace at a 2:1 work rest ratio is where the workout really starts because I never do. I never keep my intensity high enough.
  • csman49
    csman49 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Here's me doing it badly, but a huge improvement from where I started
    https://youtu.be/4Zu5_F5eTpw
  • tcbutler8627
    tcbutler8627 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    As others have said, it does get easier. You do have to work at it though. I used to be terrible at it from the coordination aspect. It was all I could do to go 30 seconds before I screwed up. Now I can do it easily and can even go about 10 minutes without messing up or stopping. I used to hate jumping rope, but now before just about every workout I include it in my warm-up.
  • goldfishgoo
    Options
    @yopeeps025
    Do you jump rope daily? Regardless of intensity you are doing something right. You worked really hard for that 30lb loss!
  • goldfishgoo
    Options
    csman49 wrote: »
    Here's me doing it badly, but a huge improvement from where I started
    https://youtu.be/4Zu5_F5eTpw

You are doing a pretty good job there! I'm pretty sure when I jump rope the Looney Tunes music will be cranking!
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    @yopeeps025
    Do you jump rope daily? Regardless of intensity you are doing something right. You worked really hard for that 30lb loss!

I do not. I want to get into boxer level jump roping. Now that is fast. If I take into account different intensity levels I could jump rope everyday. Endurance one day speed intervals another.
  • goldfishgoo
    Options
    As others have said, it does get easier. You do have to work at it though. I used to be terrible at it from the coordination aspect. It was all I could do to go 30 seconds before I screwed up. Now I can do it easily and can even go about 10 minutes without messing up or stopping. I used to hate jumping rope, but now before just about every workout I include it in my warm-up.

Currently I'm only doing exercise bands and working on getting my steps in for the day. After today, my goal is to keep up with the jump rope. I feel like I'm on a good track. I am feeling more awake and energized. All of these posts are inspiring and a great help!
  • yopeeps025
    Options

Currently I'm only doing exercise bands and working on getting my steps in for the day. After today, my goal is to keep up with the jump rope. I feel like I'm on a good track. I am feeling more awake and energized. All of these posts are inspiring and a great help!

What are your goals with jump roping?