Does your BMR and TDEE change as you lose weight?

Options
Question as in the title :p (assuming your level of activity stays the same) and also do they change if/as you gain muscle too? I've just been wondering if mine will be the same or not when I reach my goal and while working to it. Hope this isn't a silly question.

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Yes. Generally lower as you lose weight and vice versa.
  • ShortButNotSmall
    ShortButNotSmall Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Really? damn :/ how does gaining muscle affect BMR and TDEE though?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    BMR will, although I don't know by how much and offsetting it by an increase in musculature could be conceivable

of course your TDEE depends a lot more on your activity and exercise levels.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Really? damn :/ how does gaining muscle affect BMR and TDEE though?

Gaining a pound of muscle will result in you burning about 5 to 10 more calories per day (about the same number of calories as you would burn by chewing gum).
  • audiojister
    audiojister Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    There's a formula to calculate TDEE that accounts for body fat %. Here you go, it's the last one: http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Does anyone know the rate of change? I am going to change to TDEE from NEAT and I know I need to lower it. How much should I lower it for each 10lb lost? 100 calories? 5% (I am currently 207lb)? Another amount or percentage? My estimated TDEE, less 500 calories to lose 1 lb a week would put me in the range of 2100-2200 currently.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    TDEE is different every day.
    BMR changes mostly in relation to size, body composition is a minor component.
  • Jgasmic
    Jgasmic Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Does anyone know the rate of change? I am going to change to TDEE from NEAT and I know I need to lower it. How much should I lower it for each 10lb lost? 100 calories? 5% (I am currently 207lb)? Another amount or percentage? My estimated TDEE, less 500 calories to lose 1 lb a week would put me in the range of 2100-2200 currently.
    I don't know the rate of change, but I just played with the TDEE calculator. I plugged in different weights and activity levels to see what it gave me for now and then as I get closer to goal. It was pretty exciting to see how much I could eat every day to maintain my goal weight.
  • sijomial
    edited April 2015
    Options

Suggest you work out your current average TDEE from your own numbers - which has the happy side effect of correcting any logging issues.

Add up total number of calories eaten in last four weeks, add 3500 for each pound lost in that time. Divide by 28.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

Suggest you work out your TDEE from your own numbers - which has the happy side effect of correcting any logging issues.

Add up total number of calories eaten in last four weeks, add 3500 for each pound lost in that time. Divide by 28.

I am already on it. I want a full four weeks of numbers to use and I am in week three, which is why I am estimating to within 100 right now. Final number will come in about 10 days.

Do you know how much I should be reducing it as I lose, or should I recalculate each time?

ETA: for the fun of it, I am also running a side calculation using the TDEE I get from my Fitbit to see what it says and how in compares to my "real time" numbers. Right now, it is a little lower.

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    For me my BMR has gone down a bit maybe...per calculations at my heaviest it was 1670...60lbs later and a couple years it's 1450...but my TDEE has changed.

When I was 205 doing little exercise my TDEE was 2000...it is now 2000-2500 depending on if I am lifting only or add in cardio...60lbs later and a couple years...

I am personally good with that...doesn't bother me a bit.
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    When I plug it into the calculator, it takes about 30 lbs before there's a 100 calorie difference for me with a moderate lowering of body fat. It went from 1875 for my current stats to 1773. Not a lot of change for the amount of weight lost. This is for a short person (5'3") who works out 4x/week. Now, if I lose more body fat my TDEE goes up to 1987 with BMR following suit. This is why I'm strength training while losing!

I seem to recall that you should recalculate every 10 lbs, or so.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options

Suggest you work out your TDEE from your own numbers - which has the happy side effect of correcting any logging issues.

I am already on it. I want a full four weeks of numbers to use and I am in week three, which is why I am estimating to within 100 right now. Final number will come in about 10 days.

Do you know how much I should be reducing it as I lose, or should I recalculate each time?

ETA: for the fun of it, I am also running a side calculation using the TDEE I get from my Fitbit to see what it says and how in compares to my "real time" numbers. Right now, it is a little lower.

Why complicate things?
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

Why complicate things?

I thought you don't count calories. What she is figuring out is what all people who count calories should be doing as there weight changes.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    according to my MFP average gross calories compared to weight loss over 30 days my TDEE is 2300

according to my average recorded TDEE on fitbit (HRM used to overwrite steps during workout) my TDEE is 2100

*ponders* that may well explain why I'm finding finding my maintenance a little tricky atm
  • ShortButNotSmall
    Options
    There's a formula to calculate TDEE that accounts for body fat %. Here you go, it's the last one: http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
    I've no idea what my body fat percentage is though :( I'd guess it's quite high, seeing as I'm only 5'1" and around 227lbs.
  • sijomial
    Options

Loss of fat is only about 2 cals a day difference for each pound. Think you are going a little overboard with your quest for accuracy. Daily variations in activity and food are going to swamp the tiny effect of losing a few pounds over the course of weeks. Adjusting calories based on actual results seems far easier to me.
  • upgradeddiddy
    upgradeddiddy Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Weight, age and height are the three factors that drive both
  • ShortButNotSmall
    Options

Suggest you work out your current average TDEE from your own numbers - which has the happy side effect of correcting any logging issues.

Oooh, I've just added that up myself and my current average TDEE would be 2415 then, whereas it'd be either 2163 or 2045 using that calculator link further up. Thanks for suggesting that, even though it wasn't aimed at me haha, something else to track and add to my Excel sheet, yay :D
  • ShortButNotSmall
    Options
    ar9179 wrote: »
    When I plug it into the calculator, it takes about 30 lbs before there's a 100 calorie difference for me with a moderate lowering of body fat. It went from 1875 for my current stats to 1773. Not a lot of change for the amount of weight lost. This is for a short person (5'3") who works out 4x/week. Now, if I lose more body fat my TDEE goes up to 1987 with BMR following suit. This is why I'm strength training while losing!

I seem to recall that you should recalculate every 10 lbs, or so.
    It went up? :o even more reason for me to find a strength training routine I like, awesome.