Smoothie diet questions..

Options
Hey. Ive been considering doing a smoothie diet. I know that this wouldnt be something to do for a long time, but I would like to do it in order to cleanse before starting a more well rounded diet. any suggestions on a way to make this work? Or if its a bad idea that too. Thanks.

Replies

• hilhall822
    hilhall822 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    If you make your own- put in some spinach or kale into your smoothies to make them more well-rounded. I personally would feel hungry with just liquid food all the time.
  • spaul82478
    spaul82478 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I do 2 smoothies a day... This way I get my milk and fruit in.... (I also am on WW) so it makes it easier... however I do not reccomend only doing smoothies.. you need nutrients that they don't cover.... :) but adding them would be a great way to help you get the nutrients you may be lacking :) GOOD LUCK
  • falonjohle
    falonjohle Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    add some protein powder to keep you full longer
  • Trista87Marie
    Trista87Marie Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Anybody have any good websites with healthy smoothie recipes?
  • julie0477
    julie0477 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of smoothies. I think its a good way to cleanse and its a great way to sneak nutrition in you might not otherwise be getting. Plus you get more nutrition calorie for calorie, so adding them to your diet is only going to be a positive. Just make sure you are using all natural ingredients (dont get protein powder with aspartame or artificial flavors for example) and use a variety of different fruits and vegetables. You actually can get all of your nutrients in if you do it right. Check out www.incrediblesmoothies.com. They have a lot of good info on diet and nutrition and tons of recipes. I do know some people that do 100% smoothies short term to cleanse, but I don't think any one could do that long term.
  • debbiestew
    debbiestew Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Well, I like to use Whey Isolate Protein. I never thought that I would like it, but I am surprised that I actually like it. It is a good way to replace fat with muscle and It is especially good to drink it after exercising. I usually use a scoop of whey 8 ozs of soy, and a banana (you can use any fruit that you like). I am not a big breakfast eater, but I like this for breakfast also. You can add any type of fruit. It is best to get the whey from a GNC. You can use the whey in chocolate milk or fat free frozrn yogurt, banana, and soy. It is great as a replacement meal on the run. It is filling.
  • Lbiacono
    Lbiacono Posts: 8
    Options
    I eat this smoothie:

1/2 of a chobani plain greek yogurt
    1 tablespoon of natural peanut butter
    1 cup of unsweetened dark choc. almond milk
    ice
    yum!

or..

1 chobani vanilla greek yogurt
    1 cup of mixed berries
    ice

You can add additional protein powder if you'd like.
  • Rocking_Robin
    Rocking_Robin Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I also say add some whey protein, my fave is strawberries, pineapple and banana...Good Luck!!!
  • AquaAura
    AquaAura Posts: 105
    Options
    I did a holistic detox .. was awesome !! I feel so much better after it .. was pretty much no sugar no gluten no dairy (aside the occasional greek yogurt and buffalo mozzeralla cheese) no red meat, no coffee no alcohol no fizzy only water and herbal teas. no fruit except bananas some other veges are not permissable because of the types of plants they come from but this is all purely for the detox programme once u get to the maintenance you slowly add foods (healthy foods) back into you're diet.

There is more to it than just the above its was hard at first but the results are so worth the commitment. And you eat some really healthy foods lots of veges and proteins I never went hungry. I think if you're gonna cleanse do it in a way that is going to give you lasting changes to your food and lifestyle habbits. But thats just how I feel about it.

I was an aweful junkfood addict I lived on soda and coffee no water couldn't stand drinking it. I ate high fat high carb foods and the more sugar the better ...

Now I dont crave sugar like I use to I make much better choices I just can't eat junk food it upsets my stomach. I've made the choice to stay gluten and dairy free I feel so much better that way. And surprisingly I only drink water and herbal tea lol who would have thought!

It's called Dr Joshi's holistic detox if you're interested its all in a book you can follow.

You lose weight purely because your eating low carb foods and no added sugar. Once you add the exercise in the benefits are astounding.

I love my protein banana smoothie its 100gms greek yogurt 125mls rice milk (or milk ) a medium banana and protien powder yummy !! totally kicks my sugar cravings when I do get them.
  • Brooke1542
    Brooke1542 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the body by vi shakes which for the most part have 33% of all the nutrients you need in a day in each shake and the actual powder is 90 calories. Then you add whatever you want to it to make it a total of about 250-300 calories. I add in almond milk, 1/2 a banana, peanut butter, fruit, honey, and a few other little things to make up some calories. I do one for breakfast and lunch and then eat a regular dinner. I snack in between on string cheese and light popcorn and fruit, but for the most part they keep me pretty full. It's kind of expensive for the actual powder, but my grocery bill has gone down a lot. The actual "challenge" is to do it for 3 months. I'm about 1/2 way through, and like it so far, but will defintely go back to eating normal after the 3 months.
  • Trista87Marie
    Options
    thanks for all the great advice and the amazing website.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't do it. I don't want my connection with food to be a series of trick and schemes. I want to just eat as well rounded as I can. Do I use smoothies? Yes. Particularly on gym days post work out. But i also put a lot of thought and planning into getting well rounded meals and snacks. I just think it trains you to have better eating habits. I'm finding more and more I can make better choices in social situations as a result.
  • Trista87Marie
    Options
    I personally wouldn't do it. I don't want my connection with food to be a series of trick and schemes. I want to just eat as well rounded as I can. Do I use smoothies? Yes. Particularly on gym days post work out. But i also put a lot of thought and planning into getting well rounded meals and snacks. I just think it trains you to have better eating habits. I'm finding more and more I can make better choices in social situations as a result.

I think that your right. I think I will use shakes as supplements. probably for breakfast and while im at work but I dont think it would make much sense to do more then that.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I try to have at least 1 smoothie a day. I do a combination of fruits and usually add spinach and vanilla protein powder (either a 90 or 100 cal one). Some of my favorite fruits to add are mango, strawberry, pineapple, and banana.
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I follow a lot of tips from Smoothie Girl Eats Too, but I usually just do a protein shake for breakfast and a snack before dinner, I eat healthy solid food for lunch and dinner. I like to do a 219 calories protein shake--my protein powder is 140 cals (27 g protein) and Silk unsweetened almond milk is 35 cals a cup. So 2 cups of almond milk, 1 scoop of protein powder, 1 teaspoon sf ff pudding powder (6 cals), and 1/4 t guar gum (2) and 1/8 t xantham gum (1) and one packet of splenda. 219 cals, 29 grams protein, 7 grams fat, 7 g carbs

http://smoothiegirleatstoo.blogspot.com/2009/08/smoothie-palooza.html

For a more nutritious smoothie, I like to do half a frozen banana (for texture and bulk), about a half a cup of frozen berries (strawberry is my fave), 1-2 cups of milk of choice (I use skim, soy, or unsweetened almond depending on my mood/how many calories I want to use), protein powder, and a little sweetener/flavoring if I want. Sometimes a spoon of peanut butter. When you use the frozen fruit you don't have to use ice, which can water it down (and is totally opposite than the tips above, but for me my protein shakes and my smoothies are completely different creatures).
  • daves1grl
    daves1grl Posts: 26
    Options
    I did a raw green smoothie fast before I started my "diet" for about a month. What got me going was greensmoothiegirl.com, she has a book "The Green Smoothie Diet" and if you want to get radical, the book "Green for Life" by Victoria Boutenko which is geared to the raw food lifestyle. It's a great way to jumpstart your nutrition and energy. You may in the beginning have some cleansing going on and feel tired or have rashes because they do cleanse toxins. Drink lemon water to help flush it out. Just do your research to figure out what will work best for your health. Everyone is different, but the great thing about green smoothies is your getting the live enzymes from the plants and veggies and its immediately available to your body. Look at the nutrition on raw kale, you'll be amazed!
    A typical smoothie for me: kale - tomatoe- cilantro- sometimes a carrot - Superfood Powder
    HIGHLY RECOMMEND DR.SCHULZE SUPERFOOD- buy it online, can get powder to put in smoothies or tablets
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I follow a lot of tips from Smoothie Girl Eats Too, but I usually just do a protein shake for breakfast and a snack before dinner,

I can't edit this now, but I meant that I eat smoothies for breakfast and a snack before *bedtime*, not dinner! :)
  • nisharae
    nisharae Posts: 204
    Options
    I eat this smoothie:

1/2 of a chobani plain greek yogurt
    1 tablespoon of natural peanut butter
    1 cup of unsweetened dark choc. almond milk
    ice
    yum!

or..

1 chobani vanilla greek yogurt
    1 cup of mixed berries
    ice

You can add additional protein powder if you'd like.

Where does one get DARK chocolate almond milk from??? Because THAT
    excites me!!!! ;)