wanting to lose more than 1 lb a week

Options
Hey all. I'm a 29 yr old female. I currently hate my body image and want to shed more than 2 lb a week. Right now for 1 lb a week my allowance is 1920 calories. If I wanted to lose 2 per wk I'd have to go down to 1460 calories. I already feel hungry at certain times with 1920 calories. Also, I'm pre dietetic so when I don't eat enough I feel sick. I'm so lost. But I want to see results to stay on this!!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Are you looking for advice?

One pound a week IS results. You'll basically have to decide if you'd rather be a bit hungrier or if you want to see faster results. Your medical issues are important to consider as well.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Well, you've kinda answered your own question - you want to lose weight faster, but when you do you feel ill. This is why there are recommended rates of loss, because if you lose too fast you make yourself ill. What would you rather, lose weight faster but feel constantly hungry and ill, or lose weight slower but actually be happy with your day-to-day life?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Body image may be a separate issue from the weight loss goals. I sincerely believe it is worthwhile finding ways to love ourselves and our bodies at every size, as we work towards greater health, mobility, and strength.

The diabetes is first priority in my opinion. You must eat every few hours during the day to keep your blood sugars stable. I suggest you stick to the 1900 calories a day.

Here's my blog of mid-day snacks that may be a little higher in protein which will help with satiety and long term energy.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/jgnatca/view/mid-day-snacks-722504

Don't skimp on breakfast, always include a protein in every meal, and keep your snack sizes reasonable.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    If eating 1460 makes you sick, don't eat 1460.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I am more worried that you hate your body image. I have seen too many people drop weight trying to find a way to love themselves, and unfortunately if you don't love youself while heavy you are unlikely to love yourself thin. I think you need to really ask yourself if losing weight is what is going to fix your mindset, and if not them find out what is instead of just attacking your weight loss.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    If I loved myself heavy, I'd have stayed heavy. It would certainly have been easier.
  • getup25
    getup25 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    How about try for 1.5 lbs a week and see how you feel.
  • orangesmartie
    orangesmartie Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    what are your exercise goals? Can you do more exercise?
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If I loved myself heavy, I'd have stayed heavy. It would certainly have been easier.

here I edited my post so maybe that helps

my point is not that you should love being heavy but if you hate your body image you may not feel differently when the weight is gone

• tlh68
    tlh68 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady wins the race, keeps it realistic and leads to a way of life.
  • amandaiams
    amandaiams Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Love yourself for who you are. I know it sucks but honestly we are our own worst enemies. I'm 24 and I find that when I look in the mirror, I don't like what I see. worse than that, I feel terrible because of my weight and that to me is what's killer.
    As a pre-diabetic, make sure you snack and maybe compromise between 1900 and 1460 by like 1750, add walking and make sure you keep snacks with you at all times. Keep sodium on the DL, eat fiber and protein to keep yourself full longer and to help keep your Blood Sugar from dropping.
    Drink water too. That will help you rid some water weight and you can drink a glass before a meal to feel fuller.
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    We all want to lose weight faster. I'd love to lose more than 1/3 of a pound a week. But short of starving myself, being completely miserable and endangering my health, it's really not gonna happen.
    Remember the tortoise and the hare. Take it slow. Use the time to learn about yourself and your relationship with food so that you'll be able to maintain the loss when you're done. BE PATIENT.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I don't like tying my self-love to being a certain size. So how many years out of my long life will I really love myself? Heck, I was my most beauteous in my teens but I certainly didn't love my looks back then. Too young and too insecure. Now I'm a secure, mature woman but my body is far from perfect.

Now, there were a lot of things I hated about being overweight, loss of mobility being chief of them. It was my health and my desire to do more things that drove my weight loss and continue to motivate me. But I work hard to love myself through it all. Dress well. Stand tall. Face the world boldly.

It's this latent unhappiness, the desire to be a particular size or a preferred shape, that drives impatience. Who wants to hate their image every morning? So the rush begins.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    DirrtyH wrote: »
    Remember the tortoise and the hare. Take it slow.
    It seems to me that the lesson there is don't be overconfident and take breaks. Otherwise, the hare wins very time.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Hey all. I'm a 29 yr old female. I currently hate my body image and want to shed more than 2 lb a week. Right now for 1 lb a week my allowance is 1920 calories. If I wanted to lose 2 per wk I'd have to go down to 1460 calories. I already feel hungry at certain times with 1920 calories. Also, I'm pre dietetic so when I don't eat enough I feel sick. I'm so lost. But I want to see results to stay on this!!

Try splitting the difference....1.5 pounds would put you in the middle. You can over ride settings in MFP if you need to.

Walking 1 mile (above your normal activity level) "earns" you at least 100 more calories.

www.youtube.com/user/walkathomemedia

Meal timing and finding the right mix of protein, fat, and fiber content is going to help you stay full longer. Finding the "mix" that's right for you is going to take a little time.
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    It seems to me that the lesson there is don't be overconfident and take breaks. Otherwise, the hare wins very time.

Fair enough. What I meant was that to do it "faster", you're likely to have to cut calories to a point where you feel like crap and hate every minute of it, and therefore more likely to quit before you reach the finish line.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

Fair enough. What I meant was that to do it "faster", you're likely to have to cut calories to a point where you feel like crap and hate every minute of it, and therefore more likely to quit before you reach the finish line.
    Absolutely. There's a tension between patience and feasibility. The flip side is that if I, for example, did it slower and took two years instead of one, I'd be more likely to get sick of it than being at a higher deficit for a shorter time.
  • tiffanyk97504
    tiffanyk97504 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments. I'm going to stick with 1900 and take it slow. Thanks for the pep talk :)