Cardio and Weights--How Many Times a Week

Options
Hello, everyone!

I recently started my weight-loss journey and am attempting to lose over 50 lbs. I am wondering: how often should I be doing cardio within the week and how often should I be doing weight training/resistance training?

Thank you,

Shiva

Replies

• ellasmommy08
    ellasmommy08 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering the same. I would like some detailed routines. I seem to think that I'll embarrass myself in the weight lifting areas of the gym so I stick with cardio machines. ☺️
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    It depends on your schedule, what you like and what type of exercise you want to do. Weight loss will mainly happen from changing how much you eat (calories, not quantities). Exercise is for health and fitness. The minimum recommended for heart health alone is 15-30 mins cardio as much as possible, ideally at least 5 times a week (walking is cardio, no need to think e.g. of high impact classes 5 times a week) and some resistance training twice a week. Start by deciding what you like doing, what you can see yourself doing for a while, what is available near you at convenient times, what your goals are, and then you figure out your routine.
  • amongstthewildflowers
    Options
    You should be weight training at least 3 times a week if you want to see results! I weight lift 4 times a week and try to get my cardio in at least 2 times a week. Hope that helps!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    You should be weight training at least 3 times a week if you want to see results! I weight lift 4 times a week and try to get my cardio in at least 2 times a week. Hope that helps!

Depends on the program you are following. There are routines that require just 2 days, routines that require 6 days.
  • Mrsallen6_11
    Mrsallen6_11 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I do agree that it is going to mainly depend on when you can work it into your schedule. Some people workout twice a day 6 days a week, while other people may only workout 4 or 5 days a week. Some people do cardio and strength training in the same day, while others alternate days. It all depends on you and what you believe will work best for you to reach your goals.

In my opinion two days of strength/weights and two days of cardio is a pretty good base to start out with and then work from there. Adding to your workouts as you see fit, or adjusting them as your goals change.
  • ChangeIsADecision
    ChangeIsADecision Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Bookmarked! B)
  • nekoface
    nekoface Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    The CDC guidelines suggest at least 150 minutes moderate cardio a week and strength training 2x a week.
  • Whittedo
    Whittedo Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Everybody is different and there are lots of folks on MFP that seem to not be fans of cardio. I run about 5km 4 days a week. On non-running days I do 45 minutes of elliptical. I follow a slightly modified version of Jason Blaha's Ice Cream Fitness plan https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout every second day and abs on the off days with the exception of one day a week when I don't go to the gym. I also walk my dog approximately 12 km a day on non-running days and 7 km on running days. I have lost nearly 40 pounds since Jan 5, 2015 with 10 more to go to reach my goal.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    As a matter of general fitness I would split it up about 50/50...3x weekly for weight training with a full body program and 3-4 days of cardio on non-lifting days. I wouldn't spend more than about an hour in the weight room and cardio anywhere from 30-60 minutes.

More specific fitness goals could and likely would change this.
  • PAtinCO
    PAtinCO Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I work out 5 days a week typically (6 if you count my weekend hike which is usually my biggest calorie burner, but that's more just for fun). I usually alternate between weights and Insanity workouts so it's 3\2 one week and 2\3 the next. I take an extra day off here and there when I feel beat up.
  • cmbauer99
    cmbauer99 Posts: 184 Member
    Options

This this this!!! and more of this.

More muscle burns more fat. So that would mean build more muscle so you can burn more fat

• cmbauer99
    cmbauer99 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Here is a good article you may want to check out

http://www.askmen.com/sports/bodybuilding/best-ways-to-lose-weight.html
  • Gritty_Gal
    Gritty_Gal Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with a lot that has been said above.

I think starting with changing your eating habits should be the first step. And creating a deficit of about 20 - 25% in your daily calorie intake would be a good start.

As for exercise, I would suggest you start with number of times and amount of time spent at the gym that FITS YOUR LIFESTYLE. Some people suggest 5-6 times a week. That would never work for me. I go to the gym 3x a week to do weights and make sure that I move a lot during the week - go out for walks with my kids, ride the bike, park far away and walk to the stores - I make conscious decisions to do those things. I joined the challenge to reach 10,000 steps a day and that has been a great motivation for me as well.

I find that the changes I made fit well into my lifestyle and are sustainable. I know I'll be able to do this for months without being hungry or feeling like I'm spending most of my life exercising.
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Everyone is completely different, depending on your goals and your fitness level. I generally love different kinds of exercise, so I work out every day. My schedule starting this week is MWF lifting, TThS cardio for one hour and yoga 45- 90 minutes, Sunday restorative yoga only. That's because I have three main goals: gain strength, enhance cardiovascular health, and advance my yoga practice.

None of my workouts are about weight loss, since you don't need to work out to lose weight. Weight loss happens in the kitchen.