from 520 to 220 in 18 months.

Options
I know there are lots of large people out there, I am one of them, and so was my brother Kevin. At his heaviest he weighed ( drum roll please)..... 520 pounds. However just 18 months later he weighed 220 pounds. Impossible you say right ? He didn't have surgery, or his stomach stapled, and no he didn't lose his legs or anything.

But went to Jail, well Prison actually, Jail is something else. 520 pounds when he went in, he would write me letters from Prison telling me how awful it was there, but he said he was losing weight, because the food sucked. He said he walked every day and did push-ups and sit ups in his cell. Just so you know he didnt kill anyone, do drugs, or guns or anything violent, he did a little white collar money crime and was sentenced 2-4 years.

After 4 months of walking and doing whatever exercises he could do, he wrote me that he had lost 100 pounds. He also told me that he was going to apply for the Boot camp shock program, because he could reduce his sentence if he completes it. This camp was designed for punk kids in their 18-25 but they had a range to 40, Kevin was just about to turn 40, so he applied at 400 pounds. He was denied. When he questioned them they said " you weigh 400 pounds and are 40 years old you aint gonna cut it" Kevin's mind was pretty shape and he said Judge , I just have 1 question, "are you discrimination against me because of my age and weight ?" Mind you this is all being recorded, by a stenographer, The Judge said absolutely not, I will grant you your request.

A few days later he started Boot camp along with the young men who were enrolled in the program. he was the oldest and fattest by far. The very first day the Drill Sargent ( some big Black dude who was an ex marine), came in and worked them out, he immediately singled out my brother and gave him his nickname - Fat Boy. OK Fat boy front of the line, and for the next week he beat the crap out of my brother, with push-ups, running and all kinds of exercise, Kevin didn't quit, he lost more weight a few weeks went by and he was down to 375, then a month or so later he was 350, then 300 and his numbers kept dropping day by day. Now certainly I'm not recommending that any of you commit a crime and go to jail to lose weight, but I think this story shows that even in the worst of situations its amazing what you can accomplish. When he finished bootcamp he was 220 pounds, and he had lost the most weight of anyone in the state of New York who had gone though the program. He got a special certificate from the State and the Drill Sargent actually shook his hand.

He got released and went to live with my folks. I'm going to post the pictures (if I can figure out how) so you can see the before and after, its pretty amazing. The sad part is that about a year later, he was working construction, and one day they hired some homeless from the local shelter. Later that day one of them attacked my brother in his apartment and killed him, in Buffalo. The homeless man, who we have found out now was a career criminal, only wanted his money ( maybe 100 bucks or so that he had), he stole his truck and phone. The man is now serving 20 years in Attica for Manslaughter.

Replies

• nisharae
    nisharae Posts: 204
    Options
    Wow that sounds absolutely amazing.... I think it just goes to show that this journey takes determination, and if you have that, nothing can stop you. Cant wait to see the pics!
  • Sunshine_Girlie
    Sunshine_Girlie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    That is quite the accomplishment. That is amazing for him. I definitely would like to see the pictures just for inspiration. Thanks for sharing.
  • kat05317
    kat05317 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I agree that is amazing, and I can't wait to see pictures either!
  • rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    Options
    Sorry about your loss, Smitty. His story was amazing, very inspirational! Thanks for sharing.
  • Shawneea
    Shawneea Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Such a great inspiration story. Thank you for sharing it with us.
  • twooliver
    twooliver Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Wow...what a sad story....and what a memory to have of your brother! He taught you many things, how to make the most of a bad situation, to confront addiction and change your life...

Thank you for sharing his story...
  • WhiskeyBravo
    Options
    What a story.... I really tire of hearing the cliche' " everything happens for a reason"....but daggonit it seems to apply to your brother and his prison boot camp journey! Very Inspirational and I am sorry for you loss.
  • BeastieGirl
    BeastieGirl Posts: 76
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss, but at least your lovely brother was turning his life around when he died. It's such a shame he is no longer here to inspire and help others, as I'm sure he would have xxxxx

4819602.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • Quierstina
    Quierstina Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    That is an amazing story and I am glad that your brother used his time to better himself. If I am reading the story correctly - it doesn't have the happiest of ending and I am so sorry for your loss. It seems like you choose to remember your brother for his accomplishments and the good. Be well :flowerforyou:
  • Smittyinthesun
    Options
    I posted 4 pictures of him in my picture section, it was the only place I knew where I could post them.
  • Trezzy
    Trezzy Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    WOW! That is an amazing story! I am so sorry for your loss, I can see you are very proud of him!
  • rhalse
    rhalse Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You have my deepest sympathies for the loss of your brother. This is a truely inspirational story. It is awesome that he didn't quit and that he didn't let someone tell him he couldn't do it.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    What a sad ending....
  • sjackson902
    sjackson902 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    That's a fantastic motivational story. I know you're proud of him. Thank you for sharing. Looking forward to seeing the pictures.
  • carolinenp
    carolinenp Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    wow.
  • Smittyinthesun
    Options
    It was funny the week he got release, I flew home to see him, and I was standing outside of parents home when my nephew pulled up in his car, he and his brother got out of the car and then the back door opened and this "other person" got out of the car, I thought it was one of their friends from school, I asked my Dad, " who is that " My Dad always the jokester, said "oh let me introduce you, this is your brother Kevin".

I couldn't believe my eyes, Kevin was 220 pounds like he was when he graduated high school. The round barrel chested guy you see in the pictures i posted, was gone and the guy in the green # 28 Jersey was standing in front of me. My jaw was on the floor. I couldn't believe it.
  • AprilLegerWalters
    Options
    I am so sad for your loss! But your brother was an inspiration! Thanks so much for writing the post>
  • simplysara9
    simplysara9 Posts: 521
    Options
    What an amazing story of your brother and his weight loss journey. Losing weight can be done anywhere and by anybody. All you need is motivation and determination!

I would like to say I am sorry about the death of your brother.:cry:
  • MoLivesLuvsLifts
    MoLivesLuvsLifts Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    This is a good way to honor your brother. I'm glad that you have fond memories of him. Can't wait to see the pix!
  • Dawntodusk
    Dawntodusk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    What an amazing story. So sorry to hear he was killed. I think it would make a great movie, though...
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!