from 520 to 220 in 18 months.

Options

Replies

• stariera
    stariera Posts: 224
    Options
    Thanks for sharing the story and it is a great inspiration. Sorry for your loss.
  • jessicajoy87
    jessicajoy87 Posts: 905
    Options
    I am so glad that you are sharing your brothers story! Its amazing and I am so inspired. I am sorry the way the story had to end though. Thanks again! Good luck with you weight journey!
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry for the loss of your brother, but what an amazing story. Thank you for sharing!
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing such an incredible story. I am just so sorry that it ends so tragically. I am truly sorry for your loss.
  • Smittyinthesun
    Options
    Thank You everyone for all your kind words, my Brother died to young. I hope that each one of you can find it in yourself to achieve your goals, no matter the obstacles. I could use some more friends, and you can see the pictures i posted in my profile, but I gues you have to friend me first.
  • tiaydew
    tiaydew Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I am sorry to hear that the ending wasn't perfect but wow! what an inspiration he is!
  • a10horan
    a10horan Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    That is an amazing story. I am so sorry for your loss.
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    Incredible story.. some of the worst situations bring the best out of us. .. I'm also sorry to hear about your brother.
  • newmeat30
    newmeat30 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Sorry about your loss, Smitty. His story was amazing, very inspirational! Thanks for sharing.

My sentiments exactly.
  • Smittyinthesun
    Options
    I know there are lots of large people out there, I am one of them, and so was my brother Kevin. At his heaviest he weighed ( drum roll please)..... 520 pounds. However just 18 months later he weighed 220 pounds. Impossible you say right ? He didn't have surgery, or his stomach stapled, and no he didn't lose his legs or anything.

But went to Jail, well Prison actually, Jail is something else. 520 pounds when he went in, he would write me letters from Prison telling me how awful it was there, but he said he was losing weight, because the food sucked. He said he walked every day and did push-ups and sit ups in his cell. Just so you know he didnt kill anyone, do drugs, or guns or anything violent, he did a little white collar money crime and was sentenced 2-4 years.

After 4 months of walking and doing whatever exercises he could do, he wrote me that he had lost 100 pounds. He also told me that he was going to apply for the Boot camp shock program, because he could reduce his sentence if he completes it. This camp was designed for punk kids in their 18-25 but they had a range to 40, Kevin was just about to turn 40, so he applied at 400 pounds. He was denied. When he questioned them they said " you weigh 400 pounds and are 40 years old you aint gonna cut it" Kevin's mind was pretty shape and he said Judge , I just have 1 question, "are you discrimination against me because of my age and weight ?" Mind you this is all being recorded, by a stenographer, The Judge said absolutely not, I will grant you your request.

A few days later he started Boot camp along with the young men who were enrolled in the program. he was the oldest and fattest by far. The very first day the Drill Sargent ( some big Black dude who was an ex marine), came in and worked them out, he immediately singled out my brother and gave him his nickname - Fat Boy. OK Fat boy front of the line, and for the next week he beat the crap out of my brother, with push-ups, running and all kinds of exercise, Kevin didn't quit, he lost more weight a few weeks went by and he was down to 375, then a month or so later he was 350, then 300 and his numbers kept dropping day by day. Now certainly I'm not recommending that any of you commit a crime and go to jail to lose weight, but I think this story shows that even in the worst of situations its amazing what you can accomplish. When he finished bootcamp he was 220 pounds, and he had lost the most weight of anyone in the state of New York who had gone though the program. He got a special certificate from the State and the Drill Sargent actually shook his hand.

He got released and went to live with my folks. I'm going to post the pictures (if I can figure out how) so you can see the before and after, its pretty amazing. The sad part is that about a year later, he was working construction, and one day they hired some homeless from the local shelter. Later that day one of them attacked my brother in his apartment and killed him, in Buffalo. The homeless man, who we have found out now was a career criminal, only wanted his money ( maybe 100 bucks or so that he had), he stole his truck and phone. The man is now serving 20 years in Attica for Manslaughter.

315hk05.jpg

2rqyk49.jpg

• Bethany28
    Bethany28 Posts: 263
    Options
    Sorry for your loss :( I am sure that was really hard on you and the rest of the people that love him. I am glad justice was served for him though! And he had an amazing weight loss journey!
  • Smittyinthesun
    Options
    PICTURES POSTED
  • LJSpady
    LJSpady Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    That's amazing! Your story is so inspirational!
  • kat05317
    kat05317 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting the pics, that's an amazing transformation!
    When I first read your post earlier in the day I guess because I was at work reading it I missed the last paragraph. I just wanted to say I am sorry for your loss...
  • patty9013
    patty9013 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Great story. Tragic ending. Sorry for your loss. Thanks for sharing.
  • julslea
    julslea Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    such in inspiration but so sad that he was killed by some lowlife criminal.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Wow what a story.would love to see the pics.
    jane
  • scubacat
    scubacat Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    So sorry for your loss, but its an incredible story, thank you for sharing it with us
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry for your loss. That is such a shame...But on the positive side, you are right...Even in the worst of situations your brother found something positive..That is commendable for ANYONE...and I am glad you are letting your brother's legacy live on..That is commendable as well..

Keep on Keeping on my friend...Keep on keeping on..
  • KnottyJen
    KnottyJen Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh...Here I am complaining about what a bad day I'm having and then I read about your brother. I am so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine how difficult it must be to lose a sibling in such a terrible way. Thank you for telling your brother's story. Truly, with hard work (and crappy food! :-)), we can all achieve our goals!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!