Options
2»

Replies

• goldfishgoo
    goldfishgoo Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    What are your goals with jump roping?[/quote]

@yopeeps025 ...

My goal is to find a do a good exercise. I fear the 'excess skin' that comes with weight loss. So finding something to keep at is very important to me. The bands help and are fun and they are now a daily habit. But they are not enough. I need to add to my daily routine.

I read that it was beneficial for the whole body: coordination, cardiovascular, toning, and other benefits. I can do it at home without a major expensive machine. I don't fool myself into an instant fix. Still, my body needs repair.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I jump rope 3-4 times a week- it's my warm up for all my lifting. It's wonderful.

But it does take time- I like to use music to help pace myself- and I usually can talk myself through just one song- oh this is a good song- keep going- do this song- and I just add more songs to my jump roping.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    What are your goals with jump roping?
    @yopeeps025 ...

My goal is to find a do a good exercise. I fear the 'excess skin' that comes with weight loss. So finding something to keep at is very important to me. The bands help and are fun and they are now a daily habit. But they are not enough. I need to add to my daily routine.

I read that it was beneficial for the whole body: coordination, cardiovascular, toning, and other benefits. I can do it at home without a major expensive machine. I don't fool myself into an instant fix. Still, my body needs repair.

I think we because I am included too that the fear of excess skin we cannot really have because it might not happen. It is almost something we really cannot control. It genetics.
  • goldfishgoo
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    @yopeeps025 ...

I think we because I am included too that the fear of excess skin we cannot really have because it might not happen. It is almost something we really cannot control. It genetics.

Darn those genes!!! :s You are right on that one! I know I'm reaching here. But, hey, it's getting me off the couch at least. So there is another reason to buy less expensive exercise help. I gotta save for that excess skin removal! ;) I'm kidding.

• SonjaK14
    SonjaK14 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The more you do them the easier they become.
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Yes it gets easier. Are you just jump roping or is this part of a larger workout?

I include jump rope in my gym routine as HIIT. Each workout I pick an exercise to super set with jump rope (i.e. triceps extension, lateral raise, db lunges, push-ups) and then go from one to the other (with as little rest as possible) for 4 sets. When I started I could only go for a minute of jump rope at a time, with maybe a minute of rest between. Over the past 18 months I've worked up to 2 min 45 seconds of jump rope (hitting somewhere between 300-450 jumps). The added element doing it this way is whatever body part you're working on for that day (i.e. shoulders, chest, legs) really gets punished (in a good way).

I use a custom speed rope from Rogue. The best advice I can give, if you're going to really incorporate jump rope in your routine, is to get a good rope that is the proper length. I tried a few other brands before settling on the Rogue, and currently have two different ropes of varying weight to switch between.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    sm4astan wrote: »
    Yes it gets easier. Are you just jump roping or is this part of a larger workout?

I include jump rope in my gym routine as HIIT. Each workout I pick an exercise to super set with jump rope (i.e. triceps extension, lateral raise, db lunges, push-ups) and then go from one to the other (with as little rest as possible) for 4 sets. When I started I could only go for a minute of jump rope at a time, with maybe a minute of rest between. Over the past 18 months I've worked up to 2 min 45 seconds of jump rope (hitting somewhere between 300-450 jumps). The added element doing it this way is whatever body part you're working on for that day (i.e. shoulders, chest, legs) really gets punished (in a good way).

I use a custom speed rope from Rogue. The best advice I can give, if you're going to really incorporate jump rope in your routine, is to get a good rope that is the proper length. I tried a few other brands before settling on the Rogue, and currently have two different ropes of varying weight to switch between.

Surprisingly I can use a jump rope that is way too big for me.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    @yopeeps025 ...

Darn those genes!!! :s You are right on that one! I know I'm reaching here. But, hey, it's getting me off the couch at least. So there is another reason to buy less expensive exercise help. I gotta save for that excess skin removal! ;) I'm kidding.

A jump rope goal I have also is to be able to jump rope so fast that you cannot see the rope your naked eye in videos without slowly the video down.
  • goldfishgoo
    Options

[/quote]

A jump rope goal I have also is to be able to jump rope so fast that you cannot see the rope your naked eye in videos without slowly the video down.
    [/quote]

Judging by your video I can see you are well on your way to accomplishing that goal!

My rope arrived! I got a cable style one (fitskuad brand). I have a lonnnnnnnnnnng way to go! :p Oh man, I'm so bad. But the god news is my heart was just a pumping away! (Ha!) But, yep, I think I could keep this up. The challenge to learn the task is intriguing. I can do 10 minutes easily! Okay the rope isn't actually turning the whole time. It's mostly me tripping like crazy! Like I said, entertainment for the neighbors! :p
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    sm4astan wrote: »

that's how I like to use the rope when its' with training- otherwise just my warm up- but it is a GREAT way to up the antie as it were on a workout (not sure if I spelled that right- but you know what I mean lol)
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    Bump to see how the jumping rope is going OP?
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    It gets a lot easier. I started doing 5 minutes of jumping rope - I've been doing it for about 4 months - now I do two sessions of 8 minutes each. Keep at it!