I had a great conversation with a PF employee

So I had a very cordial chat with a Planet Fitness employee this weekend. He told me that he wanted to build up his chest muscles, but that the Smith machine felt awkward to him.

Naturally, I took this opportunity to explain why the Smith machine was a poor choice for strength building. I explained that it forces one's joints (shoulders, spine) to move in unnatural ways. I also said that a proper bench press (i.e. without the Smith machine) also engages the stabilizer muscles, which are critical for functional strength.

On the one hand, I was deeply disappointed that a gym employee didn't know such basic things. On the other hand, I'm also sure that most of their employees don't actually have any professional certifications -- not at the kind of membership prices that they charge.

Anyway, it really was a very cordial conversation. I was pleased to see how open he was to learning these things, rather than just saying, "What are you talking about? We only have great equipment at our gym!" I might not like the PF business model, but by and large, I can't voice the same criticism toward the people who work there.

Replies

• annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    I lift at home, but I run at lunchtime at the PF near work.

Not sure why people rank on them all the time.
    The convenience store doesn't sell great Italian bread, but that doesn't mean they should all be destroyed.
  • tri_bob
    tri_bob Posts: 121 Member
    Heh. There's a marketing opportunity: Fitness Bodega.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    annaskiski wrote: »
    I lift at home, but I run at lunchtime at the PF near work.

Not sure why people rank on them all the time.
    The convenience store doesn't sell great Italian bread, but that doesn't mean they should all be destroyed.

Where is that claim being made?
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Also -- and I know that this has been said many times before -- the complaint isn't simply that they don't provide heavy weights. Neither does Curves, but you don't hear them criticized for that.

Rather, the issues that people have stem from their derogatory marketing strategy, the misinformation that they spread about exercise and fitness, and the fact that they actively discourage people from pushing hard. I know that's been said many times before though, so I really hope that it doesn't have to be emphasized again.

In any event, I did appreciate my conversation with this guy and the chance to educate him a little bit on fitness. It would be much better if PF employees were properly educated on the basics of weight training and general fitness, but still... it was nice to see someone who works for the company but isn't slavishly devoted to the information that they present.

On a related note, he also mentioned that they don't provide bench pressing stations because they don't cater to bodybuilders. I responded by saying that bench pressing is actually a great beginner exercise, as long as you keep the barbell suitably light. I also mentioned that bench pressing is even taught at the high school level. He responded, "Oh, really?" with a tone of genuine interest and intrigue. Again, no defensiveness, no blind toeing of the company line. I can't help but respect that.
  • annaskiski
    Honestly I don't know how they "actively discourage people from pushing hard". I don't think I've ever even had a PF employee speak to me. They're not trainers, they just maintain the premises.

PF is just a place with gym equipment, and you can use it if you like. They don't have any programs.
    If you want more than that, then you should go to a gym that offers personal training.
  • spartan_d
    Honestly I don't know how they "actively discourage people from pushing hard". I don't think I've ever even had a PF employee speak to me. They're not trainers, they just maintain the premises.
    I've encountered people who were told that they need to slow down on the treadmills, lest they "intimidate" the other members. I've also encountered folks who were told that they need to limit the number of plates that they put on the machines. (Apparently, those locations still had machines with removable barbell plates.) And of course, there's the whole rule against even light grunting or loud exhaling, which is natural when lifting heavy objects. Or the fact that one needs to set the weights down ever so gently, which naturally discourages people from pushing for their maximum number of reps. And so forth, and so on.
    PF is just a place with gym equipment, and you can use it if you like. They don't have any programs.
    If you want more than that, then you should go to a gym that offers personal training.
    Nobody said anything about the lack of programs, Anna, so that point -- while perfectly valid -- is irrelevant to the topic at hand.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    edited April 2015

The stories come from people who were generally fit who were trying to build muscle.

- Members would complain the guys in the squat rack were grunting or lifting too much and the squat rack guys would be asked to leave. Eventually, they pulled the squat racks.

- A woman, who looked awesome, was asked to leave because she was intimidating some of the other women. When she asked why, they said she was too muscular and that alone made her a lunk (I think that’s the term they use).

When people who are pushing themselves hard are interrupted during their workouts and/or asked to leave, well that’s a pretty clear message. You have to be in the sweet spot of our customer-base bell curve or we don’t want your $10.
  • annaskiski
    Well, I guess I'm skeptical of these stories, but whatever....
  • williamwj2014
    williamwj2014 Posts: 750 Member
    edited April 2015
    Yeah I have been going to PF for the past 7 months and now that I've gotten more in shape, I really hate the gym. I'm moving in a week and a half and cancelling my membership (don't want to go to PF ever again) It's not a real gym at all but it can do wonders for anyone who puts the equipment to use but don't expect to get big at PF. It's a very casual gym. Most employees at my gym are in fair shape except a few who I can honestly say are out of shape but I never intended to get a trainer there anyways. I make use of the equipment as best as I can and still feel like I'm making progress albeit slower than I would at a gym with the proper equipment.

As for the whole intimidation thing, I think that varies from place to place. Each PF i've been to here in Las Vegas has had many different kinds of people. Surprisingly, I have seen a few people in great shape but nothing was ever said to them as I have seen them come back again and again but of course, body builders shouldn't consider PF at all as the equipment is just bad. The best gyms though are the ones that are owned by locals and not big franchises which is hard to find these days but luckily, the city I'm moving to has one that is owned by local people in the city. Overall, PF is great for beginners and once you outgrow it, it's time to move on even if you won't find a price as cheap as $10 a month.

Oh. None of the PF gyms here in vegas have that lunk alarm.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member

Other than ' hi' and 'have a nice day' on my way out the door, I barely speak to them (other than if i have, yet again, left something behind the day before in the locker room and am looking for it.)

I have no doubt that some people have had some issues, and i do think this can vary WIDELY from gym to gym. There are women who push far harder than i do (and have the body to prove it) who work out there every day. They are a great motivation! There are also old people, young people, fat people, thin people, and people of all kinds. I love the diversity.

Are they for everyone, no - but neither is (for example) Gold's Gym. I think the world is plenty big enough for a multitude of gym types and price points. I"m grateful for a cheap one that has what I need and (from what I've seen) has no issues regarding how members use equipment or what they wear or look like.

My PF does have personal trainers (at least one)- though based on what I've SEEN.... I'm not sure its worth much. The lady who leads my zumba class (obviously not affiliated with pf) is also a personal trainer and I've seen her in sessions with clients in her own studio, and I think she pushes her clients much harder (which would be the point, afterall) that pf 'trainers'.

• branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member

You are allowed to be skeptical, but let me ask you this. Have you seen any of their commercials on TV? They are disgusting. For promoting themselves as a Non judgemental gym their commercials are the most judgemental things I have seen. (The one with the muscular guy that they portray as not being able to say anything other than "I lift things up and put them down" over and over again is THE WORST) Just because someone lifts weights and wants to gain muscle does not make them stupid, or unable to put sentences together, it's disgusting really. I would never ever give my money to an organization like that. NEVER!

• callsitlikeiseeit

For promoting themselves as a Non judgemental gym their commercials are the most judgemental things I have seen.

even i will agree its rather hypocritical, but so are lots of things in this world (myself too, at times LOL)

• annaskiski
    I LOVE THAT COMMERCIAL!

I want to get a t-shirt that says "I pick stuff up and put stuff down".
    I'll wear it every time I lift.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited April 2015
    I think it all depends on the Planet Fitness. The one near my place never had any problems with people pushing themselves, and I saw plenty of people there that were fit. I never heard the lunk alarm once. They had a personal trainer there that would write up workouts for people and show them how to use the equipment. ( Since their weights were limited, I believe he used another gym to do his own workouts. I don't know if he was certified, or just someone that was in shape.)The only problem that I had with them was that they didn't have enough weight to continue to challenge me and I wanted to start a barbell program.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    edited April 2015
    I LOVE THAT COMMERCIAL!

I want to get a t-shirt that says "I pick stuff up and put stuff down".
    I'll wear it every time I lift.

there are people on etsy who make/print customized shirts that i bet could do that for you. i think they run around $25 (i have some on my etsy list LOLOLOL)
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    To be honest, I don’t have a problem with their rules. They market to a very specific customer-base. I’m not in that demo. If you are, enjoy the discounted access to equipment, it is a good deal.

Now, if someone opened a lunk only gym for $10 a month and had 225 lbs on a squat rack by the door saying squat this to join, or walked by and said to a patron, "you’re not working hard enough, please leave..." there’d be an outrage for sure.
  • annaskiski
    To be honest, I don’t have a problem with their rules. They market to a very specific customer-base. I’m not in that demo. If you are, enjoy the discounted access to equipment, it is a good deal.

Now, if someone opened a lunk only gym for $10 a month and had 225 lbs on a squat rack by the door saying squat this to join, or walked by and said to a patron, "you’re not working hard enough, please leave..." there’d be an outrage for sure.

I'd join that gym too....
    I'm aiming to look like Emily Blunt in "Edge of Tomorrow".
    I do Stronglifts, but would love to know what program she follows...
  • spartan_d
    My PF does have personal trainers (at least one)- though based on what I've SEEN.... I'm not sure its worth much. The lady who leads my zumba class (obviously not affiliated with pf) is also a personal trainer and I've seen her in sessions with clients in her own studio, and I think she pushes her clients much harder (which would be the point, afterall) that pf 'trainers'.
    Actually, the PF CEO has gone on record as saying that personal trainers are essentially useless. PF even discountinued their use a while back. Cite: http://www.truealphatraining.com/2010/12/18/planet-fitness-insults-personal-training-industry/

I'm therefore not surprised that your Zumba instructor pushes her clients harder than the PF "trainer" in question. I'd even question whether this PF trainer has any professional certifications outside of PF.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Meh, I'm not against Smith Machines at all and actually think they get a bad rap. You can absolutely get phenomenal results from a Smith machine. Is it ideal? No, but it can work.