Feeling discouraged

Options
Today's just been one of those days where I looked in the mirror, and got insta-depressed, I'm losing weight been logging everything for almost 90 days now, but I just don't see results, I felt great in the beginning, nothing picked me up more than to see my weight down every time I stepped on that scale, but lately that evil discouraging mirror is getting the best of me, I don't know how to get myself out if this funk, I know losing weight the right way takes time, I just feel discouraged that my figure hasn't changed more significantly, and maybe that's the wrong attitude, but unfortunately it's how I'm feeling.

Replies

• williamwj2014
    williamwj2014 Posts: 750 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Happens. Maybe you should avoid looking in the mirror so much (hard, I know) and just focus on getting through your day to day activities. There are times even now that I don't like what I see in the mirror but I've learned how to accept myself for who I am and not care what others may think of when they see me. It gets hard to see differences in yourself though since you get use to seeing yourself all the time. You stated you have been losing weight, that's good! It takes time for the real changes to take place. Got to stop putting yourself down based on how you look. Go to the gym, work up a good sweat. Follow your diet. The small things help my friend. Have to stop yourself from getting down about yourself and tell yourself things to lift yourself up such as "there is only one of me in this world, there is no one like me!" Small things to tell yourself will pick you up and others start to notice this confidence about you and most importantly, you'll love how you feel. Good luck.

Could always change your appearance also like getting a haircut, change of clothes, etc. It can make a difference in how you see yourself.
  • fallenoaks4
    fallenoaks4 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Do you have a strength training routine? That will help get you what you want to see in the mirror.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    It's hard to see the difference when you see yourself every day. Try taking photos and then making progress photos every 4 to 6 weeks. That's long enough for changes to become apparent. Also, find some pants that were tight when you began this journey and put them on. Feel how they feel different now. There's a lot more going on than what the mirror or even the scale will show you.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    You should try taking measurements and pictures, more gratifying imo.

• monamonababy
    monamonababy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    i think we all know how you feel. i've been feeling discouraged for the past week because the scale didn't budge at all for almost 10 days...and then this morning..down four. it goes like that sometimes. and when it does one can start to feel defeated or hopeless. BUT...it's important to understand that this is the exact feeling that leads us to fall off the wagon. THIS is the feeling that needs to be conquered for long-term success... it's not the eating or excercising, it's the managing of the hard times. DO NOT GIVE UP. If you feel lousy, you feel lousy, it's ok, it happens..but don't listen to the lousy feeling...just acknowledge it and let it pass. or get mad as hell and do some cardio. or whatever works for you. just don't be tricked into letting the feeling derail your hard work. you've come a long way, so celebrate your success so far and hang on. you'll be down another 15 in no time!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    It's slow. Remind yourself that it is good to be slow so that you don't have flappy loose skin everywhere, and as others say, take measurements. It will help you to see the truth instead of whatever body image stuff your brain feeds you. And record the measurements on mfp to keep track over time. I also agree that lifting weights will be super, super helpful.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Don't look in the mirror and stay the course. The human body is a wonderful machine - took years to get out of shape, but anyone can get back into shape in months. Stick to the basics, calorie deficit, cardio, and introduce weight lifting if you have not already done so.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

Pictures and tracking measurements are the best way to judge your progress. I also like the idea to keep one pair of pants you wore often before you started to lose weight. Whenever you feel like you aren't making progress put on those pants again and you'll definitely see the difference.

Chin up!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    ^ yup. Take pictures. You look in the mirror and see a new starting point - if you had your previous starting point to compare it to suddenly it would look like the progress that it really is.

The other thing is, positive self talk. Remind yourself of your good choices and hard work. Keep doing that and it will help.
  • r5d5
    r5d5 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Definitely like everyone is saying, be kind to yourself and focus on the good things you're working towards and have already done! Also, keep in mind that you're here. You're deciding to make a lifestyle change. That in and of itself is a feat! It's not easy to change our habits. Great work so far, and good luck with your progress! Your choice to improve yourself and your health is a wonderful reason why you shouldn't feel bad and it should be encouragement to keep going! :)
  • tonydixon3
    tonydixon3 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Appreciate the love guys helps a lot! My health has improved a lot these past three months, and that is what's important, just one of those days.
  • tonydixon3
    tonydixon3 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Do you have a strength training routine? That will help get you what you want to see in the mirror.
    I did, but lost my workout partner this past 30 days, and can't afford the membership no longer, having money problems for the time being, and I live in a rural area so membership costs are way overpriced here unfortunately, I planned on starting a chain, tire and sledgehammer routine till I figure out a way to get to some free weights.
  • Carpe_diem1983
    Carpe_diem1983 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I've had "a day" myself. Feeling discouraged.
    Tomorrow is a new day to tackle your goals with a new perspective, strength and positive attitude. Don't give up!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    It's part of the process. I've lost 60 lbs and I still feel fat more days than I want to admit. The only thing that helps is not quitting. I'm fairly sure angsty feels are an unavoidable part of the process.

Edit because subject/verb agreement is hard.
  • Valrotha
    Valrotha Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    You're not alone. Personally, I'm the last one to notice. Usually, friends and family comment on me losing weight before I've noticed it. Perhaps you're the same way.

I think we've all been discouraged at one point or another. Just don't let it control you.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    tonydixon3 wrote: »
    I did, but lost my workout partner this past 30 days, and can't afford the membership no longer, having money problems for the time being, and I live in a rural area so membership costs are way overpriced here unfortunately, I planned on starting a chain, tire and sledgehammer routine till I figure out a way to get to some free weights.
    Check Craigslist. You should be able to find some for cheap. I know how it goes to not have even $1 extra, though.
    If you have a smart phone, the c25k app is fantastic. It's an absolute beginner's app for running.
    If you have internet at home, there are lots of fitness videos on YouTube for free.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I dont get why you will let the mirror rule you when you know for a fact you are losing weight, which means its just a matter of time before you notice the differences. go and pick a weight up equivalent to what youve lost and realise thats no longer being carried by youir body. I cnat say I looked in the mirror hoping for change and later when it happened i just got enncouraged, but im more of a person who gets on with things. As suggested above performance easures at the gym inspire me more becayse they tell me im getting stronger, faster fitter and I spend time making those everyday.

If you work hard and get the performance increased, then the rest will follow, hence i think its just a mistake trying to look for improvements without putting the work in at the gym. It will come in time if you keep on losing. Be patient. Its changed for me quite a lot, bow I look in the mirror, but as I havent really ever been a mirror person im much more interested in how my fitness has improved. thats soemthing you can track and feel.

Stick with it, because your alternative is to quit and then you will 100% not be seeing any improvements, so its not really an option. If you hot a rough patch fight back twice as hard.
  • scotvalkyrie
    scotvalkyrie Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I planned on starting a chain, tire and sledgehammer routine till I figure out a way to get to some free weights.

I think using things around the house as a lifting routine is a fantastic idea. Even a soup can makes a great free weight (they weigh a pound or so). For kettle bells, fill a milk jug with water or sand. Metal pipes are good free weights too. Be creative! Who needs free weights if a sleepy cat works just as well?

I also don't see too much change when I look in the mirror. I look to other objects to see my weight loss, like a 20-lb bag of dog food. If you're out and about, find something that weighs about the same as the weigh you've lost, and try carrying it around the store for a while! That will give you a boost, guaranteed!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'm giving you an assignment. You are going to resurrect this thread in the fall, September 1st. See if you notice the change then. And take pictures along the way. The body transformation sneaks up on a lot of us.
  • babybelle92
    babybelle92 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain, I just had a baby and now when I look in the mirror I am not exactly thrilled. I recommend taking pictures through the weeks or months and comparing them. I'm not happy when I see my body in the mirror but when I look back at that first picture I took after having my son, and I see the difference in my body, it makes me feel a lot better and encourages me to keep going.