what kind of protein powders do you use

Options

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    Protein powders are not for weight loss, they are for….well, protein. People use them to hit their protein goals.

This.

I am lactose and soy intolerant, so I have to be very careful. I use a whey drink by Jay Robb, which I get from Whole Foods, which is about the most delicious one I've tasted. I use it after weight lifting only as a recovery/repair drink. I do not replace a meal with it.
  • 1mumrevolution
    1mumrevolution Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition Extreme Chocolate, Cookies & Cream, and Cake Batter.
    As above only Strawberry, extreme chocolate and French vanilla. I use to boost my protein.
  • AlisonAgnew50
    AlisonAgnew50 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I yous PHD it has only 98 cal a shake
  • leyla87
    leyla87 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Bulk powders chocolate cookies flavour whey isolate
  • Mwm20296
    Mwm20296 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Dont get all caught up with the brand name, they are simply there as a SUPPLEMENT. It doesnt matter if you use ON standard or impact whey by myprotein, sure the protein qauility is higher in ON, tthe macros might be a bit more appealing but at the end of the day just get what you can afford, theres no point spending so much more cash to improve your results minisculely
  • peterjens
    peterjens Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition 100% Gold Standard Whey Protein - 24 grams protein, 120 calories - from Costco
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    I used Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard chocolate or vanilla for a long time. I was using their Natural vanilla for the past few years, but due to the price hikes lately I switched to MET-Rx 100% Natural (still vanilla) a few tubs ago. It tastes sweeter than I'd like, but I'll get used to it. The ON GS Natural vanilla has a very neutral flavor which I definitely prefer, but I can't justify the price just for better taste.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Aria vanilla for women - sold at Trader Joe's, $9.99 for 12 oz.
  • Ocrgrrrl
    Ocrgrrrl Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Ultimate Muscle Protein by Beverly International. Seriously is addictive it's so delicious. I bake with it too and it's fantastic!
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I just add bobs red mill soy protein to my smoothies. I prefer flavorless protein powder so i can have it taste like whatever i want it to. 1 tablespoon is 20 calories and 5 grams of protein.
  • TexasGirl972
    TexasGirl972 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I just ordered vfinity gonna try it. Ive never done one before. Im new to it
  • squeakbunny
    squeakbunny Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    i use pea pro, its a vegan protein natural product made from peas with no additives that i know of and have it sparingly so im not overloading on protein to lose weight. great to have in just about any drink or food source going best bit is no chemicals involved with a natural product.
  • BaDaSsBrUnEtTe
    BaDaSsBrUnEtTe Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I use optimum nutritions all natural whey to help meet my protein goals :)
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I use Muscletech Whey Isolate. I don't use it for weight loss though. The only reason I use it is to help me get enough protein in my day.
  • willking618
    willking618 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Protein powders are not for weight loss, they are for….well, protein. People use them to hit their protein goals.

But as protien helps build muscle which helps burn more fat I'd say they are good for fat loss
  • FoxyMars25
    FoxyMars25 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard, Extreme Milk Chocolate. Best tasting protein powder I have ever had. I love it!
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

But as protien helps build muscle which helps burn more fat I'd say they are good for fat loss

Protein doesn’t built muscle in itself, you have to be lifting heavy as well, and to be eating at a surplus or at least maintenance. I wish that eating protein would mean I get more muscle… Ha.

Anyway, I use Muscletech Phase8, it’s a blend with different rates of digestion to provide a steady supply for muscle repair. I don’t know if it accomplishes that, but I like it. It’s a post-workout snack for me, not a meal.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I use Dymatize, but also like muscle milk and EAS.

Honestly, you will probably see very little difference between most protein powders. Find one that you can afford and enjoy the taste.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

In a calorie deficit, protein helps retain lean muscle. If you are building muscle, you need to be a calorie surplus, and that always comes with some fat gain. Protein shakes can be part of a variety of diet plans with a variety of goals, but the calorie intake is going to ultimately determine whether an individual loses, gains, or maintains.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Is there one that tastes decent? All the ones I've tried taste like rotted cardboard to me. Not that I have experience with that, just guessing.

(i guess a whey one - there are issues with soy, right?)