Why can't I stop sabotaging?!

Options
Hi guys, I feel like I can't stop sabotaging lately! It's driving me crazy and I keep telling myself to stop and eat better/drink more water but I fail every day. I'm just eating crap ugh. I have a high stress job and I am currently having a little bit of a breast cancer scare (surgery May 7th) and I think I'm just eating terribly as a way to manage my stress. I was going to hot yoga like 3-4 times a week and I can't find the motivation right now to go more than once a week.

Long rambling story short, does anyone have any suggestions or advice on how to stop/get out of this funk?

Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    My guess. You don't want to loose weight more than you want to overeat. How to overcome that? Well you have to change how you think about food and how you think about yourself. You just dodged a huge bullet. This ought to put your life into perspective. Only you can decide what that perspective is.

• sungoddess337
    sungoddess337 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I do this too. Have you tried relaxation or meditation? Sometimes it helps if I take my time and become very deliberate with what I eat, logging before helps some. Make a point to notice negative thoughts and counter with positive ones. I pray everything turns out well for you. You can do this just don't give up!
  • KellyA09
    KellyA09 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Yea you're right. I feel like anytime I get scared or stressed I go to food. I don't know how to get my self control in check and it's ridiculous.
  • KellyA09
    Options
    I do this too. Have you tried relaxation or meditation? Sometimes it helps if I take my time and become very deliberate with what I eat, logging before helps some. Make a point to notice negative thoughts and counter with positive ones. I pray everything turns out well for you. You can do this just don't give up!

I find it so hard to just turn my mind off. I started anxiety medication about 5 months ago and it's helped immensely but I feel like I just never stop and relax. Yoga definitely helps though when i can get up the motivation to go lol. Thanks for the advice and well wishes!!
  • patmid
    patmid Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    KellyA09 wrote: »
    Hi guys, I feel like I can't stop sabotaging lately! It's driving me crazy and I keep telling myself to stop and eat better/drink more water but I fail every day. I'm just eating crap ugh. I have a high stress job and I am currently having a little bit of a breast cancer scare (surgery May 7th) and I think I'm just eating terribly as a way to manage my stress. I was going to hot yoga like 3-4 times a week and I can't find the motivation right now to go more than once a week.

Long rambling story short, does anyone have any suggestions or advice on how to stop/get out of this funk?

Thanks in advance!!

It is understandable with what you are going through, and I really hope it turns out well for you. You have to think about the fact that not being in control of your food is making you more miserable. At this stage you cannot do anything about your impending operation, but you can take control to eat healthier and feel better about yourself and lose weight.
  • aNewYear123
    aNewYear123 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Find someone you can talk to or someone who will go out and do something with you that doesn't involve food. You need a good distraction to keep you mind busy on other things. I hope everything turns out well.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Would reading or doing crafts help take the stress off?
  • daaaaaanielle
    daaaaaanielle Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    In terms of the crap food - try and make it a bit harder for yourself to actually get at crap food. Whenever I'm stressed I can eat a whole big bag of Doritos or a whole tub of ice cream if the feeling takes me. I get all my food delivered by my local supermarket and I only place an order when I'm meal planning - so Doritos and such aren't on my mind and I don't get them. If I'm having a really crap day, I don't have any Doritos to hand to gorge myself on so I just.... can't. I could, in theory, walk/cycle to the shop to go and get them, but having a crap day means I've hardly got the motivation for the things that I need to do, never mind the things I've got a temporary craving for. Don't worry too much about days like that though. You're allowed to stumble now and then!

Try doing some yoga at home. If you prefer to have some guidance while doing yoga, look up Yoga With Adriene. She has a youtube and a website. She has videos for lots of different moves and full routines that you can run through along with her. She has a very relaxing voice too!

I hope everything goes okay for you. Be strong! :)
  • KellyA09
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I really appreciate it! I used to be an avid reader but I've been so distracted lately. I'm trying to get back into it though!
  • TehBunny
    TehBunny Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The brain is very stubborn. It gets set in these pathways the more you use them. You've been using them that way for a long time. The more you keep doing the positive things(relaxing/making better eating decisions) the more engrained it'll become and the more successful you'll be. Also don't punish yourself or focus on the failures. It happens to everyone.
  • sengalissa
    sengalissa Posts: 253 Member
    Options

Thanks in advance!!

Here is what helps me: focus on what I am eating instead of focusing on what I should not be eating. Plan your meals, plan them well, and plan yummy meals! Give eating a priority and don't just let it happen. You can treat yourself well with good food and still be within your calorie budget if you plan ahead.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I have to have little talks with myself telling myself food is not going to help. I will get thru stuff without food, it is not my only chance of not falling apart. I can be strong. I don't have to be greedy, I get plenty, I exercise more to help with the stress, try to do healthy stuff, not do stuff that will hurt me, be good to me, take care of me. I know I am rambling but this is the way I talk to myself. I will be glad later when I fit into my clothes!
  • KellyA09
    Options
    In terms of the crap food - try and make it a bit harder for yourself to actually get at crap food. Whenever I'm stressed I can eat a whole big bag of Doritos or a whole tub of ice cream if the feeling takes me. I get all my food delivered by my local supermarket and I only place an order when I'm meal planning - so Doritos and such aren't on my mind and I don't get them. If I'm having a really crap day, I don't have any Doritos to hand to gorge myself on so I just.... can't. I could, in theory, walk/cycle to the shop to go and get them, but having a crap day means I've hardly got the motivation for the things that I need to do, never mind the things I've got a temporary craving for. Don't worry too much about days like that though. You're allowed to stumble now and then!

Try doing some yoga at home. If you prefer to have some guidance while doing yoga, look up Yoga With Adriene. She has a youtube and a website. She has videos for lots of different moves and full routines that you can run through along with her. She has a very relaxing voice too!

I hope everything goes okay for you. Be strong! :)

Awesome! That's a good idea. I try not to have junk food in the house but I have a new boyfriend and we've been going out and that's something I never really used to do. I think we just need to start cooking much more. I'll check out the yoga videos and thank you for the well wishes!
  • 2hmom
    2hmom Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I find doing more cardio, even running in place helps, in times of stress. I also try not to have any junk food in the house. Good luck to you. hugs
  • KellyA09
    Options
    I keep thinking like eating (insert bad food/drink here) wasn't worth it cause I ate/drank it without even thinking about it and I do it just cause I'm bored or something. I consciously think "you're not hungry you don't need x" but I usually give in anyway. I hate my lack of discipline
  • elizabethcook5
    elizabethcook5 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you may need to deal with the real issue at hand..which may be the fact that you are going through something very scary..the cancer stuff.. I would handle that first. Deal with what you are feeling with that and then you will be able to get back on track. You will find your motivation again.
    Good luck in it all
  • daaaaaanielle
    daaaaaanielle Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I keep thinking like eating (insert bad food/drink here) wasn't worth it cause I ate/drank it without even thinking about it and I do it just cause I'm bored or something. I consciously think "you're not hungry you don't need x" but I usually give in anyway. I hate my lack of discipline

Try pre-logging everything. I've gotten into the habit of logging stuff before I even open it so I can see how many calories that leaves me for dinner/snacks and quickly re-assess whether I reeeeeally want the thing I'm about to eat.

The discipline will come with time. You just need to be willing to stick at it! But even so, everyone has mindless days where they don't pay attention to everything they're eating. I know I did it last night with some biscuits. I said I was going to eat one then I got carried away and ate 5. I just chopped some stuff out of my dinner (which I had already pre-logged) to compensate.
  • KellyA09
    Options

Try pre-logging everything. I've gotten into the habit of logging stuff before I even open it so I can see how many calories that leaves me for dinner/snacks and quickly re-assess whether I reeeeeally want the thing I'm about to eat.

The discipline will come with time. You just need to be willing to stick at it! But even so, everyone has mindless days where they don't pay attention to everything they're eating. I know I did it last night with some biscuits. I said I was going to eat one then I got carried away and ate 5. I just chopped some stuff out of my dinner (which I had already pre-logged) to compensate.

Thanks! That's actually really good advice. I think I'll try that from now on. Just getting some support from y'all tonight helped me get motivated to do some yoga at home to relax :)
  • cjingles
    cjingles Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I feel you! I tend to overeat when I'm stressed at work, too. Today I received an email from a coworker that really upset me and my day was spent trying to deal with the fallout that it caused. All day I thought "man, I really want to go home, have too many beers, eat my weight in pizza, and chill out!" I was seriously thinking about it when I got home, and suddenly it hit me that I was letting my coworker impact my life outside of work. I decided that while I don't have the power to change his ways at work (unfortunately), I do have the power to not accept his negativity at home. I jumped on my exercise bike for 20 minutes, ate the dinner I'd previously been planning on eating, and I've been walking around all evening feeling really confident and proud of myself. Even if it didn't happen in the office, I feel like I've won my battle with him tonight. I'm not sure what stresses you have at work, but perhaps thinking of it that way might help you, too? Good luck with everything!!
  • heathervazquez75
    heathervazquez75 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I was a stress eater too! Go back to yoga and deal with your stress and do everything you can to eliminate stress in your life! Plan ahead! Prep some food to bring with you to work. Having food ready to go, you can just grab it on your way out the door! Eat before you feel really hungry! Seriously avoid trigger comfort foods! They are addictive and can cause you to gain weight if you are stressed your body will store fat! Recommit to your body and your life! Set a new goal. Write in your journal how you are feeling and how how are going to do better. Try to get up earlier in the morning and give yourself extra time to get ready or get to work. Avoid driving in a rush from now on! Take your time to do everything! Ask yourself if it really has to be done today! If it doesn't wait until you have proper time to finish without stressing. Get it together girl! You got this!