how long

Options
How long did it take to loose 100 lbs

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    as long as it takes.

assuming one pound per week loss that would be about two years.
  • elizabethcook5
    elizabethcook5 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    How do u keep from becoming discouraged during the weight loss..how much have you lost
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Obviously, this will be different for everyone. Remember, you can't walk 10 miles into the woods and expect to get out in 2.
    Good luck!
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Faster in the beginning and then slower as you get to goal.

The first few weeks or months you might be able to lose 2-3 pounds healthily but then 2, the 1.5 the 1 pound per week.

No matter how long it takes, start now.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I lost about 35 to 40 pounds …215 pounds to 175

I would think of it this way. Are you are happy with your weight right now? You are here, so the answer is obviously no. If you start now, you can start make changes that will result in you getting to a place where you are a healthy weight and are happy with your weight and how you feel. So you can do nothing, and keep being unhappy, or make changes now that are going to be result in you being happy.

I would say just take it one day at a time. Don't look at it as it is going to take me two years to lose 100 pounds…try and make positive changes each day that result in you getting closer to your goal.

I know some people set "mini goals" …lose 25 pounds by x date, etc, etc….
  • elizabethcook5
    Options
    Ive lost 11 so far and would like to loose another 114 lbs. Its coming off pretty good... .5 lbs .8 lbs or 1 lb a day. I figure it will start to slow down. I work out and I have a lot of calories a day left over. I'm also drinking a lot of water. I guess I'm wondering if its possible to loose that much is less then a year and it be healthy
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Ive lost 11 so far and would like to loose another 114 lbs. Its coming off pretty good... .5 lbs .8 lbs or 1 lb a day. I figure it will start to slow down. I work out and I have a lot of calories a day left over. I'm also drinking a lot of water. I guess I'm wondering if its possible to loose that much is less then a year and it be healthy

You're doing wonderful! Yes, it will slow down and thats okay, as you want to make sure you're doing this in a sustainable way.
  • elizabethcook5
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

I would think of it this way. Are you are happy with your weight right now? You are here, so the answer is obviously no. If you start now, you can start make changes that will result in you getting to a place where you are a healthy weight and are happy with your weight and how you feel. So you can do nothing, and keep being unhappy, or make changes now that are going to be result in you being happy.

I would say just take it one day at a time. Don't look at it as it is going to take me two years to lose 100 pounds…try and make positive changes each day that result in you getting closer to your goal.

That makes sense. I'm not wanting to or trying to set myself up for defeat. I just would like to be healthy and happier. I have felt good just these last few days and I have realized my battle with food is all me. I can let it get to me an d win or I can call the shots and beat it. Its nice to see success stories and know I can do it
  • ndj1979
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

That makes sense. I'm not wanting to or trying to set myself up for defeat. I just would like to be healthy and happier. I have felt good just these last few days and I have realized my battle with food is all me. I can let it get to me an d win or I can call the shots and beat it. Its nice to see success stories and know I can do it

it sounds like you have the right mindset. Just focus on getting closer to your goal every day, and before you know it, you will be there….

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I've never been that obese, but it took me seven months to lose fifty.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    You don't want to go to fast. Sure the weight might come off faster but you might run into other issues from malnutrition etc

You got to eat enough to live on. Plus starving yourself is the first step to snapping and eating an entire 4 litre tub of ice cream and wearing the container as a hat.

Slow and steady wins the race.
  • elizabethcook5
    Options
    Believe me I eat. I make sure I eat when I feel hungry. I just don't over do it. I eat about 1300/1400 a day but with working out it gives me more calories to eat and I can never eat that many in a day. I log everything I consume and I make sure I get my daily nutrients that I'm supposed to get. I know about starvation mode and your body and how it has negative effects and how it effects your weight loss. I just don't believe in eating when A I'm not hungry and B just to fill in the calories. I will continue to work and not worry about time. I just fear getting discouraged but Rome wasn't built in a day
  • ndj1979
    Options
    do you use a food scale?
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Took me 14 months to lose 100#, lost 92# in a year. I stuck with portion sizing and weighing my food, added in daily walking, and at what MFP gave me for 1#/week loss.
  • elizabethcook5
    Options
    Im getting into the habit of the food scale. I need to become more religious with it
  • elizabethcook5
    Options
    I would be so happy with 92 in a year. But however long it takes I have done diets before and have always failed obviously that's why im here. I'm hoping that getting into the mind frame that this has to be a life change not just a diet I will be in for the long haul. The last thing I want is to be back here in 6 months back at my hw when I should be half way to my gw
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    You said you want to lose about 114 more lbs. A healthy forecast would look something like:
    1. 2 lbs per week until you have 80 lbs left = 34 lbs. That's 17 weeks
    2. 1.5 lbs per week until you have 60 lbs left. That's about 13.5 weeks.
    3. 1 lb per week until you have 20 lbs left. That's about 40 weeks
    4. 0.5 lbs per week the rest of the way. About another 40 weeks.

110 weeks total, so yes - about two years. However, that's two years of feeling accomplished with the small victories, two years of impressing yourself, two years of progress. That would be a pretty fulfilling two years. And in those two years you will have become a healthier and smaller version of your current self, and you will have learned healthy and sustainable eating patterns to carry through the rest of your life. The next two years are going to pass no matter what. By then, you could either be proud of yourself and all that you have accomplished, or kicking yourself wishing that you had started two years ago.

ETA: Weight loss isn't linear, so your forecast would likely not play out exactly like the example I used above. You may go a few weeks without losing anything at all and then experience a "whoosh" of a few lbs. This is normal and nothing to worry about.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Im getting into the habit of the food scale. I need to become more religious with it

i would suggest using it to weight all solids and as many liquids as possible.

that will make your logging a lot more accurate….
  • elizabethcook5
    Options
    OK I will have to start doing that.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    You're off to a good start! I lost 44lbs in about 6 months, to my original goal weight. Then I continued to lose at a slower pace over several months as I transitioned into maintenance. All said and done it took me about 9 months to lose around 60lbs and I've been maintaining the loss for around two years now. It sounds like you've got your head in the right place, which is most of the battle-you've got this :p