Options

Replies

• Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    geotrice wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    sugar, imo, can lead to overeating if you're not careful, but that's why people are obese. Nobody wants to stuff their face with broccoli, but because ice cream, donuts, etc, are hard to eat in moderation for some folks. It was for me until I became serious about losing weight.

overeating all foods leads to obesity ..not sugar …

you can restrict sugar, over eat, and be obese….

Yes, but it's much harder to over eat broccoli and lettuce than it is to overeat ice cream and chips ahoy.

It is easy to overeat vegetables covered in a creamy cheesy sauce, and lettuce topped with a calorie-dense dressing and nuts. I believe people seldom eat plain lettuce, and not many like plain steamed vegetables.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Emilia777 wrote: »
    sugar, imo, can lead to overeating if you're not careful, but that's why people are obese. Nobody wants to stuff their face with broccoli, but because ice cream, donuts, etc, are hard to eat in moderation for some folks. It was for me until I became serious about losing weight.

Yes, but it's much harder to over eat broccoli and lettuce than it is to overeat ice cream and chips ahoy.

It is easy to overeat vegetables covered in a creamy cheesy sauce, and lettuce topped with a calorie-dense dressing and nuts. I believe people seldom eat plain lettuce, and not many like plain steamed vegetables.

this too …

• ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I think, in general, the vast majority of people in the US do not have open conversation about healthy food. Not just with their children, but with other family members and friends. No reinforcment of ideas. People are very apathetic about many things. Not thinking is the easiest thing to do.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

That makes no sense. In your scenario, the vast majority of calories are coming from non-vegetables. It's not the vegetables that are being over-eaten, it's the dressing and nuts and cheesy sauce.

If anything, this is a demonstration of just how hard it is to actually over-eat vegetables.
  • geotrice
    geotrice Posts: 274 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

I think you missed the point. People toss hot fudge and caramel sauces on ice cream and frosting on cookies too. You can always add calories to whatever you're eating. The point I was making is that vegetables are generally not as calorically dense as processed food.
  • ndj1979
    Options

I think you missed the point. People toss hot fudge and caramel sauces on ice cream and frosting on cookies too. You can always add calories to whatever you're eating. The point I was making is that vegetables are generally not as calorically dense as processed food.

who cares? I never mentioned vegetables. There are plenty of calorie dense foods that don't contain mass amounts of sugar.

when I was over weight I over ate on sheer volume of foods like pizza, philly cheesesteaks, cheese, fried mozzarella, fried chicken, etc…..

you want to blame everyone on sugar, when over consumption is the real problem.
  • geotrice
    Options

who cares? I never mentioned vegetables. There are plenty of calorie dense foods that don't contain mass amounts of sugar.

when I was over weight I over ate on sheer volume of foods like pizza, philly cheesesteaks, cheese, fried mozzarella, fried chicken, etc…..

Excuse me for not listing every non-sugar based food in the world and only using vegetables as an example.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Excuse me for not listing every non-sugar based food in the world and only using vegetables as an example.

you tried to use a ridiculous example to prove a ridiculous point…

• geotrice
    Options

Yeah, bro. Vegetables are hella ridiculous.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Sugar is the new fat.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Yeah, bro. Vegetables are hella ridiculous.

no, bro. Your example was.

catch up, you are lagging behind….
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    DaniH826 wrote: »
    Sugar is the new fat.

Sounds about right. The SAD is too high in both.
  • geotrice
    Options
    What's ridiculous acknowledging that CICO is true and about saying that filling up on vegetables will generally mean consuming fewer calories than filling up on processed foods?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    What's ridiculous acknowledging that CICO is true and about saying that filling up on vegetables will generally mean consuming fewer calories than filling up on processed foods?

because who is just eating vegetables?

I said over consumption of all foods leads to obesity.
    you took exception wit that, for some reason, and came up with a straw man example about broccoli, as if that is the only food out there.
    I simply pointed out that there are plenty of OTHER foods that are low in sugar AND are calorie dense that one can over consume on. Or, are you saying that people that eat broccoli would not eat other calorie dense foods, OR are you saying that people that eat broccoli are not obese, because they eat 100% broccoli?

so yes, your broccoli example is ridiculous.

• Mr_Knight
    edited May 2015
    Options

Nobody. (Well, a few vegans might be, I suppose).

And nobody is suggesting anybody is.

I said over consumption of all foods leads to obesity.

That's not correct. There is an entire macro group - protein - that is not over-consumed in SAD. There are also large classes of individual foods in the two other main macro groups that are not being over-consumed.

Foods that aren't being over-consumed by definition don't "lead to obesity".
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

Nobody.

And nobody is suggesting anybody is.

rushing to the rescue again I see …

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    You know what broccoli is really good with? Cheese ;).
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    You know what broccoli is really good with? Cheese ;).

just make sure it is not processed.
  • geotrice
    Options
    WHAT?! There are other vegetables besides broccoli and lettuce?! Blasphemy!

By your logic any example that is not 100% complete and exhaustively detailed is ridiculous.

Also that's not a Straw Man fallacy. Here's some reading material for you. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

Maybe you should spend less time in the gym and more hitting the books.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    WHAT?! There are other vegetables besides broccoli and lettuce?! Blasphemy!

By your logic any example that is not 100% complete and exhaustively detailed is ridiculous.

Also that's not a Straw Man fallacy. Here's some reading material for you. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

Maybe you should spend less time in the gym and more hitting the books.

awww resorting to name calling already, bro? That is the sign of a small mind, and concession that you have no fall back and have lost.

anyway, I stand by my original assertion that over consumption of food is what is leading to obesity, and not sugar.