The healthiest part of weight lifting

Options
Milenac93
Milenac93 Posts: 47 Member
For me, it's strengthening my confidence. My college's gym is one room with cardio machines on one side, weight machines in the middle, and free weights on the other side. The majority of the people who use the gym are members of the sports teams (i am not).

I used to wait until the coast was clear before flirting with the free weights. I would literally go to the bathroom and give myself a little pep talk in the mirror before walking in and breaking the barrier between the cardio machines where most of the girls stay and the free weight area where most of the guys are.

To work up the nerve to strut over and lift as heavy as I could and to do that consistently even on my worst days when I was feeling super self conscious seems to be its own version of strength training.

Knowing that I am now a "regular" in the weight area of the gym makes me feel so proud because I feel like I have proven myself not only to myself but to the guys who used to just look at me like I was an alien for picking up a heavy weight.

If anyone, especially any women, are struggling with a similar thing just remember that when you take a risk to better your health, you almost demand the respect of those around you. You might feel as though people are judging you at first, but if you fake it till you make it, you will make it!!

Replies

• Marlene1667
    Marlene1667 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way. I went to the gym with my husband and I really felt that the fattest, oldest person there and everyone would think "what is she going here?" but I just pushed through it. Now that I have been going for a while, people all say hi and I can even impress some of the young guys with how much I can lift, especially leg press and squats. I still have a lot weight to lose but weight lifting has changed my life. I love the feeling of being strong. I am glad you posted this.... I thought I was being really silly, glad I am not the only one :smiley: I hope other women will read it and not be afraid to go work out. If you keep going, people will remember you, respect your committment to getting healthy, and welcome you, no matter what size you are....... just keep going.
  • MrsMizart
    MrsMizart Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Wiell done lass! Not easy fur sure, but the feeling of confident belonging is a wonderful one :-)
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I love being in the heavy weights area of the gym...I feel invincible!
  • OlleyThorpe0
    OlleyThorpe0 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Check out my Instagram page for tips tricks nad motivation, plus my own personal fitness journey : OTFitness0
  • rdlewis123
    rdlewis123 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way. I went to the gym with my husband and I really felt that the fattest, oldest person there and everyone would think "what is she going here?" but I just pushed through it. Now that I have been going for a while, people all say hi and I can even impress some of the young guys with how much I can lift, especially leg press and squats. I still have a lot weight to lose but weight lifting has changed my life. I love the feeling of being strong. I am glad you posted this.... I thought I was being really silly, glad I am not the only one :smiley: I hope other women will read it and not be afraid to go work out. If you keep going, people will remember you, respect your committment to getting healthy, and welcome you, no matter what size you are....... just keep going.

Oh so NOT silly! I too am a more mature person in my gym and I love the squat rack and free weights! I RARELY do cardio except for Zumba a couple of times a week because I love it. I love the way my body is shaping up. I get many comments on how toned and built I am looking. Not bad for 49 if you ask me!
  • jeanlake
    jeanlake Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this topic and for all your comments. I just switched gyms so I could feel more comfortable beginning my weight training. Cardio for years, but now I switch off (cardio & weight training) every other days. Losing the back fat -- just feeling toned in general, even though the pounds aren't dropping. Got a trainer for a day and learned how to do weight training w/o hurting myself. I'm now a believer that both are important. Good luck!
  • Watch_Me_Rise
    Watch_Me_Rise Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I think more often than not, in the weight room especially, the feeling of being judged is our own judgment of ourselves and not from other people. From my own experience, people are there to get their work done and not worry about what other people are doing. If they're looking in your direction, its probably because they have to look at something in between sets. It still doesn’t make it easy being the only female in the weight room, but as I was told by a random guy at the gym once, most of them think we’re badass for just being there and working hard. I also think the unspoken thing about a weight room is the community, because even a newbie who consistently shows up and puts in work, is easily welcomed into the pack.

• BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I think more often than not, in the weight room especially, the feeling of being judged is our own judgment of ourselves and not from other people. From my own experience, people are there to get their work done and not worry about what other people are doing. If they're looking in your direction, its probably because they have to look at something in between sets. It still doesn’t make it easy being the only female in the weight room, but as I was told by a random guy at the gym once, most of them think we’re badass for just being there and working hard. I also think the unspoken thing about a weight room is the community, because even a newbie who consistently shows up and puts in work, is easily welcomed into the pack.

So much this. And, a lot of times, if you ask for help they will give it to you.
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! You are so correct in the confidence building aspect of it. I used to just do my cardio and leave if there was more than one guy in the free weights area. It was hard enough feeling conspicuous for wheeling an o2 tank around the gym, let alone braving "the dudes" in the weights area. Now...idgaf, I will make room for myself. I still lift very light by their standards, but heavy for me and am making good progress. I get looks, sure, don't know if it's my size (large) my o2 tank, my multiple and visible tattoos, or just my badassery, and I no longer care! :D Keep lifting ladies!!!!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!