• onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    add me! we can struggle together
  • Smiley_Emi123
    Smiley_Emi123 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Go for what? You won't fix being "skinny fat" by losing another 10 pounds. And by looking at your profile picture, you maybe should not lose any weight. You have to work on your body composition with a resistance/weight training program.

+1. You don't need to lose weight you need body recomp
  • NotQuiteNorm
    NotQuiteNorm Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Go for what? You won't fix being "skinny fat" by losing another 10 pounds. And by looking at your profile picture, you maybe should not lose any weight. You have to work on your body composition with a resistance/weight training program.

Not necessarily - even bodybuilders lose fat to go from 'muscley-fat' to lean and muscled, I think the term is 'cutting'. Especially if you don't want to look necessarily muscular, I do suggest working out to tone up, but losing the weight is often necessary!

-from my personal experience in the past
  • erinmccormick00
    erinmccormick00 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Love all y'all's post! It's exactly what I'm struggling with. Need to loose a few pounds and tone up. I'm ready to start over and try harder. =)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

Not necessarily - even bodybuilders lose fat to go from 'muscley-fat' to lean and muscled, I think the term is 'cutting'. Especially if you don't want to look necessarily muscular, I do suggest working out to tone up, but losing the weight is often necessary!

But if you are already at a healthy weight and have little fat, a recomp is nice. Why continue losing more fat if you are already thin? And perhaps you're not ready for a bulk. Body builders cut and bulk, yes, but we're not all body builders. You can change your body lifting heavy with maintenance calories.
  • Gritty_Gal
    Gritty_Gal Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Hi.

Go for it, Lindsay! Don't listen to anyone, but your own inner voice. Commit and get rid of those love handles and mini-Buddha belly (that's what I call my stomach :) ). YOU CAN DO IT!

You put it perfectly. I'm "skinny-fat" too, and I'm trying to tone and get some muscle.
    I changed my diet and started exercising about two months ago as I have been struggling with my last ten pounds as well.
    Would love to have you as friends (I'm new on MFP) so we can support each other.
    I have no background in fitness and would also like some advice regarding types of exercises you do to get some muscle.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Bonkers logic, losing more weight will not improve matter, just make you look skinnier. Lift weights.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    Bonkers logic, losing more weight will not improve matter, just make you look skinnier. Lift weights.

Thank you. I've been waiting for at least two people to back me up on that.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Don't settle, get the body you want. I agree with the others who have suggested lifting weights and also monitoring diet. It will take time but you will get there!!
  • pninatopham
    pninatopham Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I did a search for skinny fat and found this thread! That's the perfect way to describe my body, and I need some serious help with motivation.

I have countless DVDs and a treadmill but for years feel like nothing I do actually makes a difference. Its a running joke with my husband that I look the same (soft and jiggly but decent in clothing) no matter what I do - walk 5 miles, see a train or just sit on the couch!

I want to be healthy for my heart, it's not just about jiggle reduction, just feels like my body is happy like this! But I'm not happy with it, it's time to commit to a change.

Would love your support and advice and to follow how you are all eliminating the wiggle and getting toned!

Thanks!!
  • randihammond
    randihammond Posts: 3 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    "Skinny Fat"! That's me for sure.
  • mommy2jjbear
    mommy2jjbear Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I hate taking about wanting to lose weight around most people who assume I'm already skinny. Snarky comments have taught me to keep my feelings to myself. When I'm naked my rolls and belly are released like the kraken. Working on losing about 7 pounds.
  • randihammond
    randihammond Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    "Skinny Fat"! That's me for sure. A little back story on me...

I have been overweight my entire life. Ever since I was a child. Yo-Yo dieted. Tried everything. Some weight came off. More came back.

I had started a very successful exercise and diet regimen after my son's first birthday, mid 2010. I was making great headway too. Walking 30 minutes & doing the Julian Michaels Yoga Melt Down every single night. I had lost 30 lbs and 8 pant sizes in 4 months. Then my (then) current health and physical issues collided with more (now) health and physical issues to make new ones. Which put my physical activity on the fast track to nowhere and on back the lbs I packed!!!

My health has worsened over the years and my physical capabilities have not improved any either. But I figured my weight couldn't be doing my health any good. So, for the 2nd time, I started on MFP on 1 January 2013. I had finally had enough of being overweight. I was going to lose it this time, dang it!! But for good.

Alright, 1 1/2 years later...

I had lost 85 lbs (115). Gone down 25 pant sizes (0-5 depending on the style/cut/brand). Because of my physical limitations I haven't been able to actually do much in the way of exercise, per say. My exercise was pretty much my day to day life. Keeping up with toddler, his preschool life, my MULTITUDE of Dr's appts, physical therapy, keeping up my house, etc etc etc... That all seemed to be just enough to keep me active to where I had, what I call, "fit flab". Or, "skinny fat".

All of my new cute (skinny) clothes hung so nice. Hugged where they should. While my remaining "leftovers" stayed hidden. Nothing is more exciting than buying new clothes for your new figure. For me, it was even more exciting. I have 3 sisters. All of whom have always been super slender. Never been plagued by the battle of the bulge. EVER! One of my sisters walked into the hospital to have her daughter, walked right back out wearing her size 00 jeans 2 days later.

As of today...

My son started kindergarten the end of August. Then my car dumped out on me, beyond repair, in September. Thus leaving me basically home bound. In hibernation/hermit status. I have no mode of transportation. No means of getting about on my own personal will. I am completely at the mercy of others. Then I had a hysterectomy in December. Which my healing
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy things and put them down. Repeat.
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I agree with the lifting weight,lift heavy, etc...
    I am skinny fat, look fine fully clothed, but show the arms/legs/stomach...ughh.
    Now that I have lost most of the extra weight I will be starting a lifting program and walk in the evenings.
    Kind of disappointing when you lose the weight and still don't look like you expected. Afraid weights are the only answer.
    Good luck All.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    I'm a runner. I understand the idea of skinny-fat because I've been there a few times. You should see me when I'm training for a race - I'm 5'10" and have long limbs so when I get too thin, I look like a big spider. Not even kidding. My nickname is "Spidey" (just look at my profile pic lol)

As others have said, the only way to fix it is lifting weights. And not 1,000 reps with a 2lb weight, we're talking lifting heavy weights.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    You need to lift some weights. You don't need to lose any more weight. I am going to post this as an example and hopefully it will make you realize that weight shouldn't be the end all and be all of your body composition...
    skinny_fat.jpeg
  • 3babiesforme
    3babiesforme Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    @ mommy2jjbear I can agree skinny girls can have problem area too. I have 3 kids and just seem to gain more weight after each one. Maybe me can try to loose weight together:) For support:)
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

But if you are already at a healthy weight and have little fat, a recomp is nice. Why continue losing more fat if you are already thin? And perhaps you're not ready for a bulk. Body builders cut and bulk, yes, but we're not all body builders. You can change your body lifting heavy with maintenance calories.

100% agree with Arditarose

No offense to OP or some of the others, but your mind really is in wrong place. You are so afraid of the scale and the number you won't get the results you want for your body.

My biggest advice would be to listen and follow the advice of people here that have proven to have results you want. If you continue to do the things you've done in the past that doesn't give you 100% of your goal you will spin in circles. Stop listening to the advice of people that are just blurting out the same answers that haven't worked for you before.

The marketing word of tone is made up to sell products and is used too much around here. Way too much. Your not going to look too muscular by just lifting weights. It is very hard for a man to gain muscles not alone a woman.

You don't want to be skinny fat, then gain muscle either through recomp or bulk...not in some belief in "tone".
  • allison_moushey
    allison_moushey Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm "skinny fat" too. I'm 5'4 and 112lbs. I've read a lot on here to not worry about losing weight, but to maintain calorie intake and work on strength and resistance training. I have never been to a gym and don't know how to use any of the equipment so I'm kinda embarrassed to go. But I guess everyone starts somewhere!