How do you stay consistent?

Options

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    I stay consistent by not giving foods a back story and personality.

Broccoli isn't some doctor who volunteers for doctors with out boarders.

McDonald's isn't some leader of a rogue nation with nuclear capabilities.

So true!

I love the way you put this.

• Sophiasmomma
    Sophiasmomma Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    You need to log the good days AS WELL AS THE BAD. For me being consistant is the only way this "diet" thing works LOL
    For me its like a game to stay close to my allowed calories for the day. Then I workout and make a choice to have extra treats such as full fat ice cream, cookies or chips.
    eat lots of protein it definitly has kept me full alot longer throughout the day. Also walk or do sometype of activity to get yourself consistant.
    I have three kids and am a very busy mom. I leave my sneakers on every night 6-7 days a week and the second they fall alseep I workout. You can always make time if you want something bad! Good Luck!
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    kaittea wrote: »
    Well the basics. Icecream, pizza, etc. I understand there are healthy alternatives to these things but when I go off my diet it's usually when I'm out at dinner or my boyfriend really wants something so we get it. I have tried moderation but frankly I have a really hard time with it.

Account for it! We have pizza every Friday. I plug it in at the beginning of my day, then I make breakfast and lunch choices around the remaining calories. Ice cream is something I just can't do. I want a whole big ol' bowl. So I don't buy it.
    When you go out, try to make better choices. Get the steamed veggies or side salad instead of fries. Get grilled chicken, not breaded and fried.
    I had a brunch with some ladies last Saturday. What I wanted from the restaurant would have added up to almost 700 calories. :s I instead ordered 1 order of banana nut pancakes, coffee, and sipped on water while we were chatting. I had just as much fun as if I had ordered the pancake/waffle with sausage and hashbrowns. It was still a high breakfast, with the syrup, but I accounted for it and moved on.
  • Ocrgrrrl
    Ocrgrrrl Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Meal prepping. I prep all my meals on Sunday's. I'm so much more consistent because:
    A. I know I spent all that time prepping all those meals that will go bad if i don't eat them and
    B. I've actually made it easier, faster, and more convenient to eat healthier and stay on plan.

It also takes the thinking out of it for me. I think about my meals one day a week and that's it. I know it's not for everyone, but seriously...Google it or look it up on Pinterest. It will change your life.
  • uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Well the basics. Icecream, pizza, etc. I understand there are healthy alternatives to these things but when I go off my diet it's usually when I'm out at dinner or my boyfriend really wants something so we get it. I have tried moderation but frankly I have a really hard time with it.

It gets easier with practice. I had a "homemade" turkey bacon, cheddar, sauteed mushrooms & onions,100% beef burger on an actual brioche bun! I saved the majority of my calories for this and it was worth it. I haven't had real beef and real cheddar in ages, too pricey ha ha. I was under my calorie goal and totally satisfied woot woot.

I had a small snack of 1 oz cheddar and raw mushrooms earier in the day and worked out for my burger. I only ate a small % of my exercise calories to have this. My whole day ended at 1450 for the day including my coffees w/milk in the morning + multi and omega 3 :smiley:

Btw, those seattle brioche buns are not all 75 gms @ 200 calories per bun. Mine weighed out to 85 gms @ 230.

tkt0df410txa.jpg
  • uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    uvi5 wrote: »

It gets easier with practice. I had a "homemade" turkey bacon, cheddar, sauteed mushrooms & onions,100% beef burger on an actual brioche bun! I saved the majority of my calories for this and it was worth it. I haven't had real beef and real cheddar in ages, too pricey ha ha. I was under my calorie goal and totally satisfied woot woot.

I had a small snack of 1 oz cheddar and raw mushrooms earier in the day and worked out for my burger. I only ate a small % of my exercise calories to have this. My whole day ended at 1450 for the day including my coffees w/milk in the morning + multi and omega 3 :smiley:

Btw, those seattle brioche buns are not all 75 gms @ 200 calories per bun. Mine weighed out to 85 gms @ 230.

tkt0df410txa.jpg

It's been almost 3 hours since I had this burger and i'm still full. Maybe the 10 oz of beef, 2 oz sharp cheddar and 1 Tbs full fat mayo did the trick! Took an hour to eat the thing. It got kinda cold, but the taste was still fantastic.
  • kaittea
    kaittea Posts: 96 Member
    Options

tkt0df410txa.jpg

It's been almost 3 hours since I had this burger and i'm still full. Maybe the 10 oz of beef, 2 oz sharp cheddar and 1 Tbs full fat mayo did the trick! Took an hour to eat the thing. It got kinda cold, but the taste was still fantastic.

that sounds incredible! I definitely need to eat more, even if it means slowing my progress I think it would keep me more consistent overall
  • Jgasmic
    Jgasmic Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I will say tell myself that today is a maintenance day. That means I can go 500 over my goal for that day (I'm set for a pound a week) and still lose weight the rest of the week, just not as much. Once I tell myself I can't have something that is all I want, so I make it work. This makes it more sustainable for me, it may make it a little slower process but it isn't a race, as long as I finish I'll be happy.
  • joshuapowell1989
    joshuapowell1989 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I have only cut out one food, and my misses bought me it during my diet and i still ate it.
    If you want it, make it fit your calories. Look at making pizza rather than store bought pizza, look at eating a smaller portion etc.

I Lost 9lb last time I dieted and I cut out alcohol and fatty foods. I then put 7lb back on as I just binged!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Meal prepping. I prep all my meals on Sunday's. I'm so much more consistent because:
    A. I know I spent all that time prepping all those meals that will go bad if i don't eat them and
    B. I've actually made it easier, faster, and more convenient to eat healthier and stay on plan.

It also takes the thinking out of it for me. I think about my meals one day a week and that's it. I know it's not for everyone, but seriously...Google it or look it up on Pinterest. It will change your life.

Yep! I cook ahead of time so I can just grab a healthy meal and microwave it when I'm ready. I also make sure to search for recipes that I know I want to eat and are delicious, not just foods "that are good for me." When I dive into that stuffed pepper, quiche, bowl of chili, I really enjoy eating it!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I don't stay consistent. Some days I find it really hard to stay within my calories (mostly weekends). So, I lowered my daily calorie goal to 1300. I could never meet that every day, but that is the point. I keep it low when I can so that I can enjoy the days I want high calories. Since I did this I have had no trouble keeping a consistent weekly deficit.
  • LuckyMe2017
    LuckyMe2017 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Be consistent about calories and exercise but allow for variety. Also, don't ignore your cravings. It's ok to have a bite or two or half portion.
  • kaittea
    kaittea Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I don't stay consistent. Some days I find it really hard to stay within my calories (mostly weekends). So, I lowered my daily calorie goal to 1300. I could never meet that every day, but that is the point. I keep it low when I can so that I can enjoy the days I want high calories. Since I did this I have had no trouble keeping a consistent weekly deficit.

Really great idea!
  • MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Habit, routine, and a willingness to put in a bit more exercise to cover any spontaneousness ;)
  • Allelito
    Allelito Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Since I started allowing myself to eat what I used to consider "weekend-only foods", I've been doing so much better. I'll sometimes have some ice cream, a chocolate bar or something else that I can fit into my daily calorie allowance if I feel like it.
    This has massively helped with my previously uncontrollable binges on weekends, because I no longer see Saturday as "oh my god this is the one day I'm allowed to eat sweets, what do I pick? Ice cream? Chips? Chocolate?? I WANT EVERYTHING!" aaand that just leads to massively over-eating. Now, instead, I'll go "hmm.. Ice cream or chips..? Meh, I can have an ice cream tomorrow, let's have some chips today!"

Good luck OP! :)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    you either want it or you don't.

It comes down to that simple fact.

I prelog my week allowing for changes here and there and that allows for me to see if and when I can go out and have some fun or I log based on plans.

That being said I still eat my chocolate every night and it still works out.

For example I logged all week on Sunday and left Friday's dinner alone...I know I have about 200 extra calories from this week I didn't use up plus whatever is left for today...we are going to chinese buffet...I have logged it and can still stay in my weekly goal..might not be in my daily goal but I could fix that too if I so choose.
  • KBmoments
    KBmoments Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    The game changer is realising you can eat anything. I didn't believe it either, until I tried it for one week and still lost weight.

Long story short, track your calories and eat crap when you really want it - just don't go over the calories.

This worked for me, too! When I was trying to eat everything 'clean', I would probably binge every 2 weeks because I felt so restricted.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Hey guys!
    I'm really terrible at staying consistent. I can do so good for like a week or two, and then as soon as I get a taste of something off my plan, I have a hard time getting back on board.
    I've been working on making my diet more sustainable (finally incorporating carbs back into my diet) but it seems like as soon as I commit to it I start thinking about all these foods I can no longer eat, naturally making me want to eat them even more.

How do you guys stay accountable? Any tips or tricks to help keep you on track when the cravings roll around?

(no need to mention "tracking calories", that much is a given!)

I don't have foods I can not eat. If I want something I fit it in my day. I don't really experience cravings.
    I pre-log my food for the whole day every day... Usually the night before or in the morning. It makes it pretty easy to see how everything fits together.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I stay consistent by prepping meals and logging them in advance.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Depending on your perspective, this could be good or bad: I don't eat high cal and/or fatty things any more because I stayed away for them for long enough (a year) that if I eat them now, I get sick as crap and I feel horrible for 16 hours and everything I've eaten in the past 48 hours or so blows through my system like a freight train! I tried to eat one piece of fried chicken. Ho-lee-cow. %( I thought I was gonna die. So if you DO plan to work that stuff back in on occasion, don't abstain totally like I did, because the choice might then be made for you by your digestive tract.

So that enforces consistency. You may or may not want that.