overweight and pregnant

Options
hi, anyone who is overweight and pregnant? if so, how many pounds did you gain? ie. what was your start weight/end weight? (how tall?). Is anyone willing to post pics? :)
about 20 pounds overweight myself and debating on ttc baby #2. thank you!

Replies

• mommyofanangelboy
    mommyofanangelboy Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Guess no-one then! lol
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I was 167 when I got pregnant. I gained 40 pounds. 7 in the last week. I do not recommend this course of action. I don't think I have any pictures of me when I was pregnant but Mama B down below nails my general look.

Slide1%25255B8%25255D.jpg?imgmax=800
  • tsalagi82
    tsalagi82 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I was technically overweight with all 3 of my pregnancies..gained 65, 70, then 40 lbs. and lost it all. Don't have pics of pregnant belly, but I was up to 198-230 lbs. each time - not fun! I'm down to 130 lbs. now, so you CAN do it even after babies!! :smile:
  • punkuate
    punkuate Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I was overweight when I was pregnant buy I was really ill and ended up weighing 20 lbs less when I was 9 months pregnant than I weighed at my first appointment at 3 months pregnant.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    hmmmm when i got pregnant with my first (17 years ago) i was around 180? during preg i gained up to 200 i think. (I'm 5 '2 for reference)

7 years later i got preg with my second and was 200ish? and was prob 220 when i had him.

I didnt have any complications with either that were weight related. (my youngest got the cord wrapped around his neck during delivery but obv that has nothing to do with weight and all was good in the end :)

9 years after that i weighed 250 and finally had enough and have been on a downward trend since ;)

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    and i didnt allow cameras near me LOLOLOL

(there are a few pics floating around but i havent a clue where)
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I have three kids, my youngest is now 3.
    With the first one, I went from 170 (overweight) to 247, close to 80 lbs.
    With kid #2, I weighed 200 when I got pregnant and on the day before delivery, I was 252.
    With kid #3 I made it to goal weight, 140ish, found out I was pregnant and then had to be put on bedrest (and I ate my weight in ice cream) gaining a whopping 102 lbs.

All my pregnancies were very healthy, I had no BP or gestational diabetes, I just got really, really fat, and was exceptionally uncomfortable All my deliveries were between 4-6 hours and there were no complications there either.

I really don't think you need to worry about an extra 20 lbs, but see what your Dr. has to say about it. Some are pretty strict, mine never even mentioned my weight because my numbers were always so good.

Of course, I'm totally paying for it now, with a ruined tummy and still working of taking the weight off. ;)
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I'm 20 lbs from a healthy BMI, so yes, 'Overweight'. I lost 58 lbs before ttc #2. I'm 5'2 and was 155 lbs pre-pregnancy. I lost 1 lb at the beginning of my pregnancy, but overall, I gained 24.6 lbs, after losing a little at the end. I logged everyday and I exercised about 3x a week, except the last 4 weeks of my pregnancy it was alot harder to do, so there was not so much of it. I'm now .8 lbs from my 155 lbs pre-pregnancy weight and I'm 15 weeks post partum as of today.

During my pregnancy:
    pregcomp2.png

And this was me yesterday:
    20150429_101101.jpg
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10" and when I got pregnant with #2, I weighed 202 pounds. By the end of the pregnancy I weighed 230. After I had the baby (and all that comes along with it) I wound up weighing around 220lbs. So I basically gained about 20lbs of fat. I've since lost all the baby weight & then another 13 pounds.

If I had to do it over again and I'll suggest this to you, is I wish that I'd lost weight before I (we/husband & I) tried to get pregnant again. The thing with being overweight & pregnant is you really have to be mindful of what you eat and make sure you're diligent about exercise. With my 1st baby I was like "HELL YEAH! I'm pregnant, I can eat anything" which didn't turn out so well. The 2nd go around I ate pretty good and exercised almost every single day up until the day I went into labor.

Just don't go all pregnant lady crazy with food, exercise and take good care of yourself. Hopefully you'll end up with a "normal" gain for an overweight person.
  • mommyofanangelboy
    Options
    thank you everyone for your replies!
  • virelay129
    virelay129 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    When I got pregnant with my son (9+ years ago) I was 251...I lost 22 lbs. during the length of my pregnancy...gained it all back with his first year plus 20+ lbs.

• minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    20lbs overweight is nothing I personally would fret about. I must have been a good 100lbs overweight with both kids.

I lost weight both pregnancies with no effort. I still ate heaps.
  • mrsdcsmithiv
    mrsdcsmithiv Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm about 50 lbs overweight 5'11" 235 and miscarried this week. I don't know why I did.... But I plan to lose as much as possible and get healthier habits before trying again. Plus I have heard being in good shape helps for an easier delivery.
  • madinaaa2015
    madinaaa2015 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and before pregnancy I weighed 145, now I'm 8 months pregnant, currently weighing 168 so I guess during the last month I will be gaining more weight. All I can do now is developing healthier habits since I barely can exercise, also hope breastfeeding will help to lose weight.
  • megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    When tttc you have to make adjustments anyway like no booze, more folic acid so could you give yourself a window of time like 3 months to get into a good place then try? So don't pay too much attention to your weight just make sure you're exercising (something you can continue through pregnancy) and healthy, balanced and nutritious food.
    I've had two boys (age 6 and 3) and the pregnancies were different but so was my mentality. 1st one I was much smaller before having him but gave up jogging at 14 weeks for a stupid reason - I thought I looked like a fat person who's taken it up for a new year resolution. I didn't go crazy with the food. He was 2 weeks early but I was so bloated and got a fat face. I hate photos of my pregnant face that time. I'd lost a lot by his 1st birthday down to jogging thrice weekly and a nasty bout of tonsillitis.
    2nd time we had a dog so I walked half hour at least every day and went to the gym for low impact stuff twice a week and to Aqua-natal once a week. My belly got massive - obviously - but the rest of me was "normal" - I still looked like me the day he was born. And I was at the gym the day before he arrived. Not lifting just bike, step, cross trainer etc, Pilates.
    Couldn't tell you my weight before or after as it's not always helpful when it's water weight and you're carrying another human inside you.
    Be smart, be healthy, be happy.
  • ArkMom35
    ArkMom35 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    minties82 wrote: »
    20lbs overweight is nothing I personally would fret about.

This! I was over 200 lbs with each of my four pregnancies, gained around 15-25 lbs each time, kept some of it after too, but obviously I had bad eating habits.
  • wackadoodle87
    wackadoodle87 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    i went from 154lbs to 252lbs with my 1st child and lost most of it then had twins gained loads weight again lost all weight over a cpl, years then had baby no 4 15months ago i gained 60lbs and loosing slowly now
  • SallyRamona
    SallyRamona Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am 5'6" with a goal weight of 133lbs. I am currently preg with my second, due in early June. I started my first pregnancy at 166 gained 53lbs and lost it all. However, started this pregnancy at 176 and, at my midwife appointment last Thursday, I weighed in at 233! Had a gestational diabetes scare then, though, that has really lit a fire under me and I have been eating very well this week and going for a walk each day. Not focused on weight loss at this point in the game, just healthy eating but I am still curious how the scale will look at my appointment next week.

P.S. Anyone can friend me! Always on the look out for more people to help motivate and support me and to motivate and support in return. Cheers!
  • mommyofanangelboy
    Options
    20 pounds may not sound like too much, but someone who is 5'2'', it looks and feels about 40 pounds overweight on someone taller.
    thanks for info. everyone:)
  • cjeanme
    cjeanme Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5. First pregnancy i started at 200, got up to 280, obv didn't eat right at all. Second pregnancy, started 220, ended 300, again, didn't eat right at all. 3rd (i am 4 wks, very early), starting at 185, have lost 5lbs. I have been on a long journey of losing weight w fitness and clean eating so I'm much more confident this pregnancy will not be like my others in many ways. Sorry i don't have any pics on my phone.