Making Salmon More Palatable

Options

Replies

• runshellersrun123
    runshellersrun123 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Salmon is actually the only fish I will eat! I recently baked some in the oven with some pesto spread heavily on the top and that was really good.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Try it raw or with lots of lemon if you are roasting/steaming it. Lemon is key I find.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    first off if it's not high quality it can be nasty. Buy the best quality you can afford. Bake basted with lemon juice, dill, and a little olive oil.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    LummiBay wrote: »
    Just put a salmon fillet skin-side down on the grill topped with some garlic, salt and lots of pepper. You may want to add a bit of olive oil. Don't overcook it -- it usually just takes a few minutes depending upon the thickness of the filet. Most important, it has to be wild salmon. Don't bother with that farmed stuff -- it's not as good for our environment or for you!

+1

Generally we grill (indoors or out) our salmon. Season with salt, white pepper, dill. Done.

For canned salmon, sometimes we make salmon croquettes. Kind of like a personal-sized meatloaf. Add cracker or breadcrumbs, egg (beaten), paprika, diced/minced onion, salt, pepper (+/- other seasons to your liking) shape into patty and fry it up.

I love salmon croquettes. If you use a box of cornbread stuffing and add an egg to it, they are simple to make. I have to agree, though, if you don't like salmon, don't eat it. It's not a magical part of good health.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    This is how I do mine, easy-peasy and always good.

Preheat oven to 425

In an oven-safe pan, heat up a tbsp of oil.
    Season salmon well on both sides, I just do plain salt and course-ground pepper.
    Sear on both sides for about 2-4 minutes, then slam that thing in the oven until it's done, usually another 10 minutes or until opaque.

I always love how juicy and crispy the skin comes out, and the salmon never comes out dry this way.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Salmon has it's own, very unique flavor and I would say that generally people either love salmon or don't like it at all. You also want to be eating pretty fresh stuff or stuff that has been flash frozen...I personally would never describe salmon as "salty ocean"...that kind of indicates to me that you're not getting it so fresh maybe.

Beyond that, perhaps tuna would be more to your liking. It has many of the same nutrient benefits as salmon and a more neutral taste.

I personally like both and don't do much to either except a little S&P and a good hot grill. With either Salmon or Tuna, I like mine rare to medium rare.
  • jgaleazza
    jgaleazza Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I generally nuke mine (don't kill me) in the microwave from frozen. 8 minutes or so in a covered container. Salt, pepper, lemon juice, a bit of butter, olive oil, and a jamaican seasoning I found a while back. Sometimes I will also put some bread crumbs on top for a crunchy topping.

I don't find the flavour salty or ocean at all either.
  • mccraee
    mccraee Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Here in the PNW there is a lot of salmon. I only eat wild caught salmon. I'm lucky that i can often get it very very fresh but frozen is ok, too. I buy fillets, not steaks. You just want it to be the best quality.

We almost always grill it. My kids are really picky, but they will eat it if I put a very thin coating of bbq sauce (right out of the bottle, maybe 3T for 1.5 pounds of fish). It kind of carmalizes and keep the fish from drying out and you really would be hard pressed to guess how it's been fixed.

We also like salmon burgers. I can buy scraps but you could cut it up fine. I season it will dill, a little fine chopped onion, old bay seasoning. I throw individual piles into a nonstick pan (coated w/ olive oil or whatever you use). Once it sears, it still stick together so no need to add egg or breadcrumb fillers. Flip it. cook to finish. My kids love this on a bun w/ tarter sauce. I too love the tarter but usually skip it.

Do you like sushi? how about smoked or lox?

You will have to figure out how well done you like your salmon. My husband likes it very rare. I want my hot thru the middle but barely.
  • jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Cooking salmon is easy. Heat up some olive oil in a skill and saute until it's done.
    If you don't add salt, it won't be salty. I've never had a salmon fillet I didn't like.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    get wild not farmed
  • RunTimer
    RunTimer Posts: 9,137 Member
    Options
    This sounds yummy. Thanks!
    gia07 wrote: »
    I am cooking salmon tonight. It is marinating in the following:

2 cloves garlic, minced
    4 tablespoons light olive oil
    1 teaspoon dried basil
    1 teaspoon salt 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped

2 (4 ounce) fillets salmon

I am cooking it in an oven. The salmon will be wrapped loosely (making a pocket) with the marinate and some lemon slices on the bottom and on the top.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    My sister broils it with a bottled teriyaki sauce and it's delicious. At least I think so.
  • 50LV115
    50LV115 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I personally think it is, in fact, worth it to play around with recipes until you find one you like. Salmon (as someone said before - particularly wild caught salmon) is the superfood of fish and it is worth trying to incorporate it into your diet. I would recommend a good spice rub that you can really get into the salmon (it's not an easy fish to get to taste like anything but......well......salmon so it needs something that really sticks to it) and then grill it. I have a feeling that, since you're willing to give it a go, after you've made it a few times, you're really going to start to like it. Just keep in mind that if you start drowning it in sauces to get rid of the salmon flavor, the health benefits will decrease as the sodium/sugar/fat content of the sauce increases.
  • mpat81
    mpat81 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Canned salmon made into cakes and pan fried or smoked salmon and cream cheese on a bagel.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Salmon is our family fave. We buy skin free filets, so no strong taste or bones. I love marinating in 1:1 maple syrup and soy sauce then baking. Son's favorite is bbq on a cedar plank but that is a few steps fussier. Nothing wrong with farmed salmon now - and it is the ONLY sustainable source.
  • DaveinSK
    DaveinSK Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    We usually just have salmon with a nice rub and cook it up. We use an oil sprayer to put a bit (<1tsp) of olive oil down just to keep it from sticking. Just don't overcook it, as soon as the inside changes texture get it off and in your stomach.
  • TexOkie12
    TexOkie12 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Equus5374 wrote: »
    I would like to incorporate more fish into my diet; I pretty much like cod and haddock. I've eaten salmon but can't get past the salty ocean flavor. However, I know how healthy it is and wonder if there's a way I can prepare it that will cut down on that fishy taste.

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,006 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    By the way, there's no such thing as wild Atlantic salmon. It's a marketing term. Atlantic salmon is all farmed .
    Sounds legit.

Edit: Your right, my assumption was wrong. Learned something new, thanks.

• ninjakiwi84
    ninjakiwi84 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Try grilling it pn a cedar plank. Wood adds tons of flavor.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    My husband makes a spectacular teriyaki salmon with grated carrots and sauteed broccoli, served over steamed white rice. I go nuts for it, and I HATE fish. And as long as you don't go too overboard on the sauce or rice, it's pretty low calorie, and really filling.

I'm not sure how he makes it, I do know he makes his own teriyaki sauce from scratch, and pan fries the salmon, though. You could look online for a recipe similar to that.