lunch under 300 calories

Does anyone have any good ideas for healthy lunches that I can take to work that are no more than 300 calories?

Replies

• icanplay3
    icanplay3 Posts: 173 Member
    Big salad of 4 oz. of salad greens/veggies + 4 oz chicken breast + Walden Farms calorie free dressing for taste. Easy, filling and nutritious. :)
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    1/2 a whole wheat or multi-grain pita, a few ounces of turkey or chicken breast, romaine lettuce, diced cucumbers, feta cheese, a little vinaigrette and either a piece of fruit or yogurt. When I was actively losing, this was a pretty regular meal for me.

Another is a cup of chili and cottage cheese w/ fruit or a yogurt.
  • jessicatombari
    jessicatombari Posts: 159 Member
    SuggaD wrote: »
    1/2 a whole wheat or multi-grain pita, a few ounces of turkey or chicken breast, romaine lettuce, diced cucumbers, feta cheese, a little vinaigrette and either a piece of fruit or yogurt. When I was actively losing, this was a pretty regular meal for me.

Another is a cup of chili and cottage cheese w/ fruit or a yogurt.

Pretty much the same!!! Great combo of carbs, protein & fat especially since lunch is usually right in the middle of your day. You'll need the macros to get you through the afternoon
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,787 Member
    Tuna salad, cracker chips, and some baby carrots/tomato slices/cucumber/fruit. Or a deli meat sandwich on a sandwich thin with just a little cheese and some mustard, side of cherry tomatoes. Or literally anything you want, portioned appropriately to meet your calorie goal.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Low carb wrap with some grilled chicken, lettuce and a dash of guacamole to make it interesting.
  • breathless575
    breathless575 Posts: 140 Member
    icanplay3 wrote: »
    Big salad of 4 oz. of salad greens/veggies + 4 oz chicken breast + Walden Farms calorie free dressing for taste. Easy, filling and nutritious. :)

I forgot about Walden farms dressings. I like their Italian one.

• icanplay3
    icanplay3 Posts: 173 Member
    I haven't tried the Italian one yet, but I should! I have the blue cheese and the caesar ~ both good.
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    I like Morningstar products (freezer section). Veggie patties and so forth.
  • Cheri1218
    Cheri1218 Posts: 268 Member
    I sometimes take oatmeal to cook in a microwave and then throw in a handful of almonds. Or skip the cooking time and make refrigerator oatmeal the night before.
    Also using the breakfast theme, I have taken a Greek yogurt and added some cereal for flavor and crunch.
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ellie-krieger/minestrone-soup-recipe.html
    This minestrone soup is yummy filling and 2 cups is only 260 calories. Leave off the parmesan and it's 199!
  • Naley2322
    Naley2322 Posts: 181 Member
    huge salad with berries and veggies with a side of sweet potato or veggie wrap sandwich using those 60 calorie whole grain wraps or tofu or any kind of light meat
  • Kmbjork
    Kmbjork Posts: 3 Member
    Slice cucumbers using a mandolin blade, roll up with deli meat, hummus, and other veggies. Or whatever sounds good to you! I like to add feta cheese
  • breathless575
    Thanks for all the great ideas! I'm going shopping for food this weekend and will have some of these lunches during the week.
  • nstock
    nstock Posts: 135 Member
    I eat a salad everyday for lunch... 2 cups of spinach, grape tomatoes, cucumber, feta cheese, pumpkin seeds, and balsamic vinaigrette, with a 4-5oz piece of chicken breast.. comes to around 290-310 calories and keeps me full for a few hours! :)
  • hmck123
    hmck123 Posts: 23 Member
    Most days I have whole wheat couscous with 50g turkey breast, 2 tsp reduced fat pesto and kale - 293 cals with 21g protein
  • dfranch
    dfranch Posts: 207 Member
    I don't know how healthy it is, but a subway 6" ham sub on Italian bread with lettuce, tomato, black olives & onion with brown mustard is only 290 calories. It was a staple when I was losing weight. I'd have it a couple of times a week for lunch.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    For work I tend to eat a lot of Lean Cuisine or Healthy Choice (Cafe Steamers are my favorite). Most of them are ~300 ish calories and are so good!
  • faidwen
    faidwen Posts: 131 Member
    Homemade Hummus + homemade pita chips (so easy to make), mixed vegetable salad, yogurt topped with mixed fruit & nuts.
  • lydiakitten
    lydiakitten Posts: 132 Member
    edited May 2015
    This is something I love:
    000068.jpg

It's whole-grain tortillas with falafel and hummus (and lettuce, tomato). Each piece is ~279 calories and to me it is very, very filling and tasty and my digestive system loves it.

If you want something a little bit more high-protein, this version of it should do the trick.
    000070.jpg
    It's with lean turkey, one chopped boiled egg, and some low-fat yellow cheese. (And of course tomato and lettuce.)
    Each individual half is still well under 300 cals, and it's handy because you can roll a big tortilla and keep the other part in the fridge for tomorrow. Easy ready lunch for two days.
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    I have tuna, cucumber and lettuce or celery every day for lunch - comes to approximately 160 calories (not sure exactly because it's a school canteen so I have to take the tuna without weighing it. Low for a whole lunch though and I've gone from hating tinned tuna to loving it.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    I usually do some deli meat (lately salami) with a cheese stick (usually pepper jack) and then some veggies like cherry tomatoes, carrots, cucumber, etc. If I have the calories to spare, I will also add some skinny pop popcorn, bruschetta toasts or melba toasts.

I also recently discovered and now enjoy those Sargento break blends and add some veggies or a side salad on the side.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    It's whole-grain tortillas with falafel and hummus (and lettuce, tomato). Each piece is ~279 calories and to me it is very, very filling and tasty and my digestive system loves it.

Where do you find your falafel? Do you get it in the freezer section? If so, what brand? This is something I would like to add to my meals occasionally, but other than a restaurant, I am not sure how to buy it.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Falafel is really easy to make with a can of chickpeas and some minimal spices, but Trader Joe's also sells it fully cooked in the freezer section.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Roasted veggies and a piece of tilpia.
  • breathless575
    Pu_239 wrote: »
    a stock of celery...
    Thanks, but I was looking for something a bit more filling.

• emmacken
    emmacken Posts: 161 Member
    A serving of soup and a Greek yogurt has been my lunch all school year. I make a pot of soup on Sunday and store it in Mason jars in my fridge. In the mornings, I grab a jar of soup and a yogurt and I'm good to go.
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    I'm super lazy, so I usually grab a packet of plain oatmeal, a medium apple and cut it up into the oatmeal with a tsp of splenda. I'll usually bring a yogurt and some snap peas to get me through the afternoon. I sometimes swap out oatmeal for a half can of soup. The oatmeal is more filling though.
  • lydiakitten
    lydiakitten Posts: 132 Member
    Emily3907 wrote: »

Where do you find your falafel? Do you get it in the freezer section? If so, what brand? This is something I would like to add to my meals occasionally, but other than a restaurant, I am not sure how to buy it.

As @Queenmunchy said, you can make it yourself easily, and it also exists in the form of frozen, premade balls. However, I personally choose a middle road; I buy the crushed chickpeas etc dust/mixture ready and make the balls or burgers myself. I don't know if my telling you any brands would help you, though, because I'm not from the US and I very much doubt you'd find the Greek and Turkish brands I buy where you live.
  • sdirks
    sdirks Posts: 223 Member
    My go-to is half a baked chicken breast (2-3.5oz), cut into cubes with some herb and garlic goat cheese spread on top. A side of broccoli sauteed in coconut oil. The whole thing comes to about 290-310 calories depending on the type of cheese you use and how much oil you need in your pan to cook the broccoli. Of all veggies broccoli has the most protein, and it's very filling. The coconut oil gives it a nice sweet flavor, and it keeps well in the fridge for a couple of days.

I also do ~2oz (3 medium-size slices) of deli turkey with 1 cup of cherry tomatoes, 1 cup of sliced peppers, and 3tbsp of hummus. I put it all in a big glass container and throw in my bag for work. Good finger-food comes in handy if you have a desk job! And chewing all those veggies feels like you're eating a lot of food for 300 calories.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    edited May 2015
    Bunch of spinach or lettuce, one can of tuna (130cals) for the one I use, 50g avocado (80calories), 100g cucumber (10 calories), 100g cherry tomatoes (18calories), 50g corn (43calories) + squeeze of lemon, salt & pepper

Around 300 calories, high in protein and super filling