Fitness tracker question

Options
Probably should of done better research before buying my first fitness tracker which was not a cheap one. Got the misfit Swarovski shine that just came out mainly cause of how pretty it is but feeling like it's pretty useless. I have the tracker off for sleep but does anyone know why in the morning every day I have on the app over 400 calories burned every morning even though I didn't even get out of bed and the tracker is on my dresser and hasn't moved all night.

Replies

• SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    This is due to your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR). Your body burns calories, even when sleeping or not moving, just to keep you alive. Your fitness tracker makes a rough calculation that this is how many calories you burnt whilst sleeping. My garmin vivoactive comes up with a similar figure overnight.
  • shelie272000
    shelie272000 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Swindonjogger it calculated even if your not wearing the tracker?
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    i need a sitbit
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Swindonjogger it calculated even if your not wearing the tracker?

The formula is the same if you wear it or not because it is based on ALL DAY expenditure.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    If its like the FitBit is assumes you're still alive whether you wear it or not and calculates your calories based on that fact.
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    If you did nothing all day but sit, that's how many calories you would burn. The tracker is assuming that because that's the minimum anyone would do. However, when it detects activity or steps, it gives you additional calories based on how much activity you are doing. The base calories are burned whether you get up and do anything or not. They are used for basic bodily processes, e.g. breathing or digesting food.