Discover what's new & improved in the MyFitnessPal app!
We’re dedicated to helping you achieve your health and nutrition goals. And our newest features and updates? They do just that. Learn how we're making tracking your progress easier, faster, and more motivating than ever.

question

Options
Does anyone check the nutrition pie chart when you're entering your food? Celery had more carbs than natural peanut butter? I'm trying to eat low carb and this thing just throws me off lol!

Replies

• mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    What nutrition pie chart?
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I like to pre log the day when I am not sure and check the pie chart on my phone. Then I can tweak to get things in balance. I don't worry about a single meal quite as much. I am carb cycling and am low carb today but breakfast was 50% carbs.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    I do check the pie chart on the phone app for kicks sometimes, but I don't really rely on percentages to track my macros. I do that with grams. And while I'm not intentionally going low carb, I'd guess the low-carb folk also probably use grams instead of percentages.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Um, yeah, duh. Virtually all the calories in celery come from carbs, because celery has almost no fat or protein. (Pretty much all fruits and vegetables, except avocado, are made out of carbohydrates). Even though celery is low-calorie, those calories have to come from somewhere.
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I ❤️ the nutrition pie chart! I thought I was eating low carb until I started using this app. If you join a Keto group you'll really learn which foods are lowest carb options.
  • BicepsAndBows
    BicepsAndBows Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I don't really tend to look at that chart, mostly because I don't think it's the most important tool for me for tracking my nutrition. I'm a busy lady and I don't have time to check a million things, so I just stick with what works for me
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    Yes, I check the pie chart. It's sort of a game I play--how to hit my carb goal without eating too much sugar (the answer is: lots and lots of veggies!).
  • Sharon1960
    Sharon1960 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    When I look it up on line though it shows no carbs?
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Sharon1960 wrote: »
    When I look it up on line though it shows no carbs?

Quantity and country. In the US, fiber is included in the carb count. In the rest of the world, fiber is its own category independent of carbs. So, on a US site or label, 100g of celery has 3g of carbs, while on a UK or Aus site, it has 1.4g. If the place you look online is showing the info for 1 stalk or 30g, while your MFP entry is for 4 stalks or 100g, the smaller measurement may be enough that it rounds down to 0.