Do you tell?

Options
JoyceJoanne
JoyceJoanne Posts: 760 Member
So people ask me:
(usually prefaced by OMG you look great) "So how much weight have you lost?" or "How much do you weigh now?"

I kind of waffle a bit because if they know either or both of those they will know what I weighed when I started... (which is actually 7 pounds lighter than my highest recorded at the doctors :embarassed: )

Do people REALLY need to know how much you weighed at your worst??

Don't get me wrong!! I am VERY proud of the fact that I have lost 58 pounds to date (which is 65 according to my doctor) and yes, last week I weighed 157.8. I'll do the math for you!!: 215 pounds (or 222 in doctor weight). Which STILL doesn't bring me to a healthy BMI!! :explode: But I am pretty embarrased because it SOUNDS like SOOO much. I don't care if you guys know, because you are all right here with me struggling and you KNOW how I feel- you've BEEN there. Not necessarily this weight, but at a weight that was your worst point - what ever that number is. We are here and have been here to support each other without judgement (mostly). I appreciate that. I don't have any family or friends from FB on here, because frankly, they have no idea.They have not lived it...

So I guess my question is:

How do YOU feel about this? How do you handle it?

Replies

• DESIREE1210
    DESIREE1210 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I tell people how much i lost, they wouldnt dare ask what I weighted before, and if they did, i would simply say 74#'s more than i do now. They would get the message.
  • Jena_72
    Jena_72 Posts: 1,057
    Options
    65 lbs!!! Girl you rock!!! I don't like to tell either its a weird question really I mean WHY does it matter to them? It probably doesn't just something to say I suppose.
    Just say something like... I have lost enough to get you to notice! :wink: and leave it at that. If they ask How Much You Weigh huh! well ask them How Much THEY weigh! :noway:
    So proud of your loss and am one of the MFP Privileged People that know just how much! :bigsmile:
  • ravenlunatic76
    ravenlunatic76 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Screw it - I tell em I used to be a fat fck and now I am a sort of fat fck 30 pounds skinnier ;)
  • justleeanne
    justleeanne Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I tell people how much i lost, they wouldnt dare ask what I weighted before, and if they did, i would simply say 74#'s more than i do now. They would get the message.

*LIKE*

:)

I will use this in the future! :)
  • aehartley
    aehartley Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Most poeple look at me when I tell them that I have lost 45 lbs and they are baffled because they say they don't remeber me being big before - which is sweet. They know that I have lost. Now they are baffled and wonder what I weighed before if I could loose 45 lbs and still look healthy.
  • foreverloved
    foreverloved Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I don't even tell my BF my current or highest weight!
  • thecanface
    thecanface Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    i take it as if i tell them i am bragging about my success... who cares what you weighed its about how healthy and happy you are now!
  • roylawrence87
    roylawrence87 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    I tell what I use to weigh and be proud that I lost what I did. Its amazing to let go of the past and embrace your new weight. Its the proverbial "weight off your shoulders".
  • ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    I do tell. I started at 220, but I wore it well enough. It wasn't muscle by any means, but I am a 6'2" male so it wasn't like I was a bowling ball or anything.

It just makes saying that I'm 175 sound so much better.
    -wtk
  • brooke0206
    brooke0206 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I dont mind telling how much I have lost to date but if someone were to ask me what my starting weight was or what i weighed at the point of them asking I would just say that a woman never reveals her weight :) Unless of course i was at my goal weight and 100% happy with that number.
  • JessesGirl05
    JessesGirl05 Posts: 253
    Options
    Right now, no. I don't tell how much I currently weigh, or what my heaviest weight in. I do tell how much ive lost, if they ask. (which isnt much so no one asks anyways)

however when i get to my goal weight, id be glad to scream it from the roof top and be proud of how far i've come!
  • Jassper
    Jassper Posts: 25
    Options
    I think people asking is just a way to let you know that your had work has not gone un-noticed. Loosing the weight is nothing to be ashamed of, I'd tell it to the world!
  • Ekeras
    Ekeras Posts: 22
    Options
    i'm in the same boat. I don't tell anyone my starting weight. I tell them how much I've lost and if they ask how much I'm hoping to lose, I say "alot".. that's it. They don't need to know that.
  • IamBrande
    IamBrande Posts: 237
    Options
    I agree that it is an uncomfortable question.... losing weight is a personal choice, and its a personal matter. We struggle daily to reach our short term and long term goals.

When those questions come up, i am proud to say how much I have lost... when asked what weight I am now.. I simply ignore it, and shrug it off and change the subject...

its no ones business, and usually the people asking are people who wish they had your dermination!!

Great job on your weight loss, you are doing fantastic!!!!
  • mbohara87
    mbohara87 Posts: 1
    Options
    I do tell. And the hell with people, you've lost all that weight and you body loves you for it. Im 235 and I need to be about 185 and thats still right on the edge of overweight to military doctor standards. At 6'1" I think 185 is fine but not to my doc and its embarrassing when I get my weight checked but when I tell people what I've lost its like telling people of my accomplishments even if its not alot.
  • AmberBarrios
    AmberBarrios Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    This is a good topic.

I actually will tell my starting weight & what I have lost depending on the person. If it's someone that I think I can motivate by saying how much I weighed at my highest I will tell them in the hopes that it inspires them and lets them know that no matter how far gone you are you an always get back to being healthy.

Up until a few months ago my husband never knew how much I weighed. I finally told him my starting weight one day and how much I weighed at that time and he was amazed!
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I speak on everything. I have no shame.
  • jamiesgotagun
    jamiesgotagun Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Screw it - I tell em I used to be a fat fck and now I am a sort of fat fck 30 pounds skinnier ;)

Seriously just laughed out loud!!!

But I tell how much I have lost, don't like to share the heaviest weight, but maybe need to be more like that --^
  • Tankplanker
    Tankplanker Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I always tell the truth if they ask, nobody ever believes my starting weight, they think its too high!
  • kristarablue
    kristarablue Posts: 707
    Options
    Oh, this has been a difficult topic for me as well. At first I was ashamed and embarrassed about the massive amount of weight loss. But let's face it when you are up to 80 pounds, people know something is different. I am lucky because most of the people in my family are overweight and it is not something we speak of much. However for friends I have kind of gotten to where I am proud of how far I have come. I think MFP has helped me with this aspect. In saying that, I think there is only one person (and they happen to be on MFP...I even politely refuse to be weighed at the doctor's office) that knows what I started at and when I reach goal, no one will know my weight either. I will give only one part of the equation. I still haven’t overcome the embarrassment factor. So do what you are comfortable with, if it makes you feel uncomfortable to tell people don't! If you feel ok or proud after you tell someone then for sure tell away. This is a very personal decision and you just have to do what is right for you.