Military Diet

Hi everyone I wanted to try the military diet so researched this died before I ever considered it and found out that NASA actually started this diet. The reason I picked it was because of fast results and it looked very healthy. We don't need a diet that you have to go out and buy things you don't usually eat. Another reason I wanted to see if this diet works is because I eat pretty healthy in the first place. And the idea of only strictly dieting for 3 days and the other 4 a 1200 cal diet sounded perfect for me. The diet states you can lose up to 10lbs on this diet in 3 days. Drum roll ... after 3 days I did lose 6lb and that is amazing to me...I do believe that the other 4 I should be able to lose too. will I continue to do this diet? sure it is easy and safe because I went with my fitness pal to keep track of the diet and the meals it was very easy to do. Even someone on the go could do this diet. I will post more results as I go on here.

Replies

• _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142955/military-diet

Start here. If you search "military diet" on MFP you'll find a lot.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    The diet plan was designed to make you lose weight, not fat. Essentially it is a crash diet to get rid of water weight to make a weigh in (the military requires you to be under x weight on a particular day, you do this diet 3 days before, make weight, then go back to eating normally). Same thing with fighters.

If you want to lose fat and keep it off long term, eat at a moderate deficit, and move more. Here's a great link:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    I did this diet (went through 1.5 cycles = 3 days one week, and 1.5 days the following week) because it was something I thought I could do too. But by mid-day of day 2/week 2, I was just miserable from being so hungry and feeling so deprived of food. The food wasn't terrible, but it just wasn't a good way to eat AND to feel completely fatigued and listless for 3 days was miserable. I'm much happier with my eating and exercise plan now. I feel like it's more balanced and healthy. I think this military diet really woke me up to changing things for the long-term, rather than short-term. I really wouldn't recommend that diet to anyone. I'm still trying to wrap my brain around the ice cream and hot dogs. LOL.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited April 2015
    Hi everyone I wanted to try the military diet so researched this died before I ever considered it and found out that NASA actually started this diet. The reason I picked it was because of fast results and it looked very healthy. We don't need a diet that you have to go out and buy things you don't usually eat. Another reason I wanted to see if this diet works is because I eat pretty healthy in the first place. And the idea of only strictly dieting for 3 days and the other 4 a 1200 cal diet sounded perfect for me. The diet states you can lose up to 10lbs on this diet in 3 days. Drum roll ... after 3 days I did lose 6lb and that is amazing to me...I do believe that the other 4 I should be able to lose too. will I continue to do this diet? sure it is easy and safe because I went with my fitness pal to keep track of the diet and the meals it was very easy to do. Even someone on the go could do this diet. I will post more results as I go on here.

Nope, nope, no no no

it's a ridiculous low calorie yo-yo diet manipulating water weight fluctuations

and has nothing to do with NASA or the Military

please search on the term

John-Krasinski-no.gif
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Averaging 800 calories a day isn't healthy or safe.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    8vcBhYZ.gif
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    auddii wrote: »
    The diet plan was designed to make you lose weight, not fat. Essentially it is a crash diet to get rid of water weight to make a weigh in (the military requires you to be under x weight on a particular day, you do this diet 3 days before, make weight, then go back to eating normally). Same thing with fighters.

If you want to lose fat and keep it off long term, eat at a moderate deficit, and move more. Here's a great link:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

this
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    what is the fascination with this diet? I swear there is like a thread a day on it. I guess we all want to believe in magic still....
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member

Ummm ... NO!

When your first sentence is filled with lies I don't believe the rest of your post.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    I don't get it either. I spent 9 years in the Army and never heard anything like it. When I busted tape they sent me to a dietitian and expected me to lose 3-8 pounds a month.
  • Jesusjohnjames
    Jesusjohnjames Posts: 378 Member
    I'm glad I lost the bulk of my 35 lbs because I cant take it any more.
    Now I can Burn off what I eat.
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,205 Member
    I am in the military and Ill tell you there is no "military diet" that's a fallacy. There is Eat healthy and do PT 3x-5x a week to be fit, and there is eat garbage and work out just as hard and remain unhealthy. You would be surprised at how many overweight individuals there are in the military. I work with both Air Force and Army if there was a miracle diet we would be on it :/
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator
    This diet is a rather terrible diet. Essentially, it's a starvation diet and as others point out, wasn't intended to do long term. The bigger problem with these diets, especially if done long term, it you will lose muscle mass, and you will probably see metabolic adaptation from this (to what extent will be determined by how long) which will make long term sustainment more difficult.

Honestly, I would read Calorie Counting 101 and A guide to get you started on your path to Sexypants to provide you with some basic knowledge. Additionally, I would focus on getting most of your calories (80-90%) from nutrient dense foods (fruits, veggies, meats, dairy, whole grains) and then if you want, incorporate small treats.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    NASA invented a diet where you eat hot dogs, saltines and ice cream? I think not. I'd believe a toddler made it though based on the food you eat during the 3 days.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,049 Member
    edited May 2015
    NASA did NOT start this diet. That's a total load of hooey, just like the diet itself. I can't believe people still fall for this. It is truly the stpuidest diet I've ever heard.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    NASA did NOT start this diet. That's a total load opf hooey, just like the diet itself. I can't believe people still fall for this.

P.T. Barnum's maxim remains true.
  • SherriAlison
    SherriAlison Posts: 2 Member
    Thanks for the comments on this blog ... Just to let you know I am having 1200 calories a day for the 4 days after the 3 days. Even at that I am finding it hard to make it to the 1200 calories because I watch the carb intakes too were I am diabetic as well. My sugar levels are down perfect while I am doing this and my main goal is not only to lose weight but to keep them stable. I have also noticed that the salt intake is not as much as well and that will help where summer is coming to keep down swelling. I am working out on an elliptical as well to build myself back from being so sick.
  • looklucklove
    looklucklove Posts: 128 Member
    My girlfriends tried this (they also tried the eat your heart out diet), so I thought I'd try it. This is day one for me, and I stuck to the plan, other than I had a beer for dessert instead of ice cream. Let me tell you, after not eating much of anything all day, I was feeling REALLY good after just one beer!

I thought the meal plan was pretty healthy on the first day, but days 2 and 3 are a little too out there for me. We'll see how much weight I actually lose.... I would think any weight I lose in the first three days will be gained back in the next 4 days!
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,059 Member
    Thanks for the comments on this blog ... Just to let you know I am having 1200 calories a day for the 4 days after the 3 days. Even at that I am finding it hard to make it to the 1200 calories because I watch the carb intakes too were I am diabetic as well. My sugar levels are down perfect while I am doing this and my main goal is not only to lose weight but to keep them stable. I have also noticed that the salt intake is not as much as well and that will help where summer is coming to keep down swelling. I am working out on an elliptical as well to build myself back from being so sick.

Know this was a zombie thread pulled back from the depths of the forums, and the OP may be long gone...but as a diabetic, you should be making changes to your intake with doctor's supervision. Embarking on this VLCD when you need to watch carbohydrates and monitor your blood sugar is not advisable.

This "diet" is not providing you enough fuel for your workouts, or to approach weight loss in a healthy or sustainable way. You can lose weight in a deficit without embarking on this water weight loss fad diet.

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,059 Member
    edited June 2015
    My girlfriends tried this (they also tried the eat your heart out diet), so I thought I'd try it. This is day one for me, and I stuck to the plan, other than I had a beer for dessert instead of ice cream. Let me tell you, after not eating much of anything all day, I was feeling REALLY good after just one beer!

I thought the meal plan was pretty healthy on the first day, but days 2 and 3 are a little too out there for me. We'll see how much weight I actually lose.... I would think any weight I lose in the first three days will be gained back in the next 4 days!

That is correct. Any weight loss is likely to be water weight, as you cannot create a big enough deficit in three days to lose fat in that volume. Calorie deficits and long term sustainable changes are great for weight loss. The military diet? Not so much.