5ft4 ladies...how do you maintain?

Options
2»

Replies

• RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I'll be hitting about 1800 calories this week, which will be the low estimate for maintenance. I wasn't losing on 1550, so I don't have high hopes for being able to eat much more than that. The most I'm ever going to cardio is an hour a week, which is like a negligible amount of calories so I don't even know if it's worth it.

I'd say so that hour of cardio a week. I don't think of cardio as burning calories. I think of it as exercise to strengthen my cardiovascular system. The heart is a muscle too! So... In my opinion... That hour a week is worth it!

Start at 1800 and wait a while so see what you're body does with it. I still think you may be surprised and your maintenance will be higher even without cardio!
  • alyssa_rest
    alyssa_rest Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I average at 1200 a day. Not purposefully... I can never just get my calorie intake up without feeling like i'm stuffed. I started lifting a little heavier though, so I'm hoping that increases my hunger!
  • maddyk91
    maddyk91 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    maddyk91 wrote: »
    I lose on 1500. Maybe more slowly now, but it will still happen. I have a feeling your pound weight gain might just be a sodium/hydration=related gain, because gaining on 1500 is just.....silly. 1lb=3,500ish calories. That would mean that for you eating like two days a week, you're just putting on straight poundage (assuming you're weighing and measuring your food properly!)m ;)

I maintain on 1800 calories, sometimes a little more. But I had to slowly eat my way up to 1800 over the span of a month or so.

Just give it more time, the scale will always catch up to your efforts. :)

I hope you don't mind if I ask, do you maintain on 1800 plus exercise, or do you use TDEE method?

TDEE for sure.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    i lose on 1500, I maintain on 1700-2000. I dont eat excersize calories back (intentionally, sometimes life happens) I am 5'4 and a hair under 120lbs.
  • Toadstool_
    Toadstool_ Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    At 5'4" and 133lbs I was maintaining at 1500-1600 calories. I don't exercise much at all though to be honest, only walking, so would be able to maintain a little higher if I actually moved more! I've put on a few lbs since though so back to 1200 for me to lose the extra weight.
  • Babykeys32
    Babykeys32 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Well, iv eaten at 1500 for a week and I've levelled out again to my lowest weight so far...147, which is great because at least I know I havnt gained anything. Looking forward to seeing how it goes from here...hopefully I can continue my loss from here ...

Cheers ladies!
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    5ft 4, 132lbs, 49 yrs and maintaining on around 1800 cals.
    I Powerwalk 4 times a week (50 mins) and go on the Crosstrainer once a week (45 mins).
    I've actually lost a pound this week, so maybe my maintenance is slightly higher.
  • blossom015
    blossom015 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm, 33 yrs, 5'4" flucuate from 125lbs- 130lbs on 1200cal. I force myself to eat at least 1200 cal and I am not working out. Are you planning ur meals? What type of foods r u eatting? For example slow release carbs, how often are u working and how intense? Are u really hungry or mentally craving those calories? Just some things to consider.
    Dont forget to reward urself 4 healthy eatting ;)
  • MamaLlamaThatsMe
    MamaLlamaThatsMe Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am 34 and 5' 4.5" or so, and I weigh 112. I am still trying to figure out my maintenance calories, but they seem to be right around 1400-1500. I always gain with menstruation (just a pound or two) and feel like I have to cut back a bit, but typically if I do I just end up a little lower than before, once everything settles down. I don't get nearly the amount of physical activity as many others here. I am up and down all day, but I don't run or lift, etc. When the weather is nice I sometimes walk, and if my appetite is insatiable I occasionally jog in place (if I am stuck inside) to help offset the extra food. I play with my kids and cook and clean, but I don't do a lot beyond that. MFP has me at 1490 for maintenance. For my own feelings, this is my happy weight, but I am borderline TOO thin (or just too thin, depending on who you talk to), so I don't want to lose any more, but I don't really want to gain either.
  • MamaLlamaThatsMe
    MamaLlamaThatsMe Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I also agree with others not to worry about a one pound gain. Our weight naturally fluctuates all the time. :)