Chicken skin

Options
Sued0nim
Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
edited May 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Well that was interesting, I've never eaten chicken skin and always thought you should remove it before cooking/eating it

So, I've just put on chicken cacciatore (adapted from this http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/06/crock-pot-chicken-cacciatore.html - delicious btw)

8 chicken thighs, bone in weighing 800g, removed the skin and it weighed 188g

Fry it off for the dog says hubby so I did...48g of crispy chicken skin later ...that means 140g pure fat ..1260 calories

Wow, just wow...knew it but interesting to watch the volume of fat

Dog will be happy

Replies

• Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I buy boneless skinless chicken, but I trim off the excess fat and yucky squidgy bits and feed it to the dog raw. He loves it, and it keeps the trimmings from stinking up my garbage.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    We get skinless breasts but bone in, particularly in thighs, is far more tasty ...
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I gotta keep the skin. Sorry dog.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    We get skinless breasts but bone in, particularly in thighs, is far more tasty ...

x2

I prefer bone in if I am cooking on the bbq or in the oven

but if I am using it in a salad and it needs cooked I buy skinless boneless...not cheap here in Canada but eh.

I don't buy dark meat often....unless my son is eating it...we definitely prefer white meat over dark.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    the skin is delicious!!!
  • jessieandcharlotte78
    jessieandcharlotte78 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    skin does taste good but losing weight "tastes" better!! My opinion is that the skinless thigh has enough healthy fat and plenty of taste w/o the damn skin.
  • Jgasmic
    Jgasmic Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I have been doing boneless, skinless thighs because it is easier to weigh and log, but I love the skin. I would cook 6-8 thighs and eat the skin off of all of them at once, because it wouldn't be as good the next day. Every day it becomes more clear how I ended up needing to lsoe weight. :p
  • megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Skin and bone keep it juicy. I love the flavour on roast chicken skin too. I'd rather have less food that tastes good than miss out on the skin. Fave roast is a chicken with a lemon quartered and onion quartered inside and sprigs of Rosemary from the garden with a tablespoon of butter on top, pop in oven and drizzle a tablespoon of honey over in the last 5 min in the oven. Delish.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    skin does taste good but losing weight "tastes" better!! My opinion is that the skinless thigh has enough healthy fat and plenty of taste w/o the damn skin.
    Who says we're not losing weight eating chicken skin?
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I thought this thread was going to be about some terrible dermal affliction.

Carry on.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,217 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Wow... That's a LOT of chicken skin. And I had no idea there was that much fat in chicken skin. Still... absolutely delicious..... :wink:
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

Carry on.

Me too! LOL

I buy chicken thighs with the skin on and the bone in. After roasting, I remove the skin, even though it's delicious. The skin keeps the meat from drying out while cooking. ;)
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I love chicken skin. I always offer to carve the chicken on Sundays - my family thinks I'm being helpful but really I'm in the kitchen scoffing as much as I can without anyone noticing.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I do that with the Christmas turkey. YUMMMMM.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I buy chicken thighs skin on. I try to remove lumps of fat without taking the skin off then I bake the thighs with just salt until the skin is very crisp. YUM! To me it's better than battered and deep fried chicken.

I don't eat it every day and I make it fit. Usually it's the bulk of my calories for that meal and everything else is very low cal so I can enjoy.

Most of the time I have chicken it's skinless boneless breast.... :p
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    One lucky dog.
    Dancing-Dog-Animated-GIF1.gif
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Chicken skin, yum! We don't care for breast, usually, as it doesn't have the same flavor as thighs or drumsticks and I have to be extra watchful to cook to temp. I liberally sprinkle kosher salt over the chicken, put on a rack in a sheet pan, let sit in the fridge for at least 24 hrs (48 is better), then roast (convections works best). This delivers delicious chicken with wonderfully crispy skin. My kids go crazy over it. Sometimes I make a curry mayo to use for dipping. So good!
    The oven ends up a mess, though, so we don't have it weekly. I do this with a whole chicken/turkey as well.

It fits into my calorie goals just fine, but I tend to eat two larger meals a day instead of 3 squares.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    It's completely tasteless and very often dry if it's cooked without skin imo, unless you marinate the bejesus out of it (and then you're just getting the marinade) or you brine it and etc. etc. Why not just take the skin off after cooking, there's not that much fat that gets into it. I always eat the skin myself, because eating chicken at all is punishment enough.

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

Carry on.
    Same here!

Not much on chicken skin.