I hit goal today after 27 months

Options
257_Lag
257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
Still no pictures of me (maybe soon) but as a data freak I thought I would share some charts since I am a daily weigher. Wake, pee, weigh, record.

GOAL!!!

629tdbjj7ye7.jpg

In January 2013 I went on a warm weather vacation. I had trouble picking out clothes to pack that fit and I was uncomfortable the whole trip in what I was wearing. In the airport on the way home I googled "Best weight Loss App" and the rest is history.

6'1" 47 year old male. I started eating 2350 when I weighed 257 and eating 1925 now @ 200 lbs and still losing slowly. The margin really is that tight, the key is time. I probably could have lost it faster but I was ok with this time frame.

It was easy right? Just look. Down, down, down...

bpr8x54wnvwf.jpg

Not really, there were plenty of problems on the way! Like this short stall. Yup, two months can be a SHORT stall in the big picture:

7n6e2bvqh683.jpg

And this much longer stall. Actually gained a few over 4 months:

ss50ye2688kz.jpg

In hindsight my stalls were all due to getting careless. I weighed and measured everything at the start but eventually you can eyeball stuff pretty accurately. Over time 3oz of meat the size of my palm became 6 oz of meat the size of my hand but still logged as 3.

I saw some interesting things along the way. I had many instances of baby stalls when I changed exercise routines like here when I started lifting:

9psfxa4rnho5.jpg

And LOTS and LOTS of spikes!!! Often you don't know why you have a spike but sometimes you do know. This was my highest daily spike ever, 6 pounds in one day but my god that sodium laden Easter ham was yummy! (also note the 6 days in a row that I weighed the EXACT same, that happens too)

3x9ooongjb0l.jpg

After a spike, don't freak out. Drink plenty of water and be patient. This is the two months after that spike. Note the other spikes along the way! Life happens, forgive yourself and move on:

i27wpwlxgj3m.jpg

My exercise has been very sporadic the whole time. I work a lot and can go a week with no exercise and then work out 5 days straight. I am going to guess it was 90% diet and 10% exercise. I have eaten all of my exercise calories except when I was trying to break a stall and then I went to half for awhile. I will admit that there were many times I exercised just so I could eat more :p My go to exercise was walking, both treadmill and outside. Also some biking, lifting, DVD's (hate you Jillian) and recently indoor rowing.

My single best piece of advice is to log EVERYTHING, good or bad. If you eat a whole pizza so be it but OWN it. It's easy to have a bad day and part way through say "Screw it. I'm already over for the day so I am not going to log again until tomorrow." Resist that urge.

In the beginning I cut out a LOT of food entirely. I made the same mistake that many do and cut out fat entirely. If I eat fat I'll be fat right? Wrong. Cutting out all fat is a great way to tighten up, your bowels that is :(

Over time I added most foods back in but in moderation but I will admit there are certain foods and I just can't have around or can't eat in moderation. I still no not want 4 chicken wings, I want 20! The same with milk. I love milk but I want a big glass, not 8 oz! I switched to almond milk just so I can have larger quantities fir the same calories.

So now what? Now that I reached the goal that I pulled out of thin air when I really didn't think losing weight was even possible I guess I will set a new goal closer to a healthy body weight. Probably 180-185. I do not think I will have to log my whole life but I do intend to weigh myself daily forever. Not weighing for extended periods of time is what got me in trouble in the first place.

Good luck people, you CAN do this!

Replies

• ewhip17
    ewhip17 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Outstanding work - congratulations. And I love your tracking and attitude.
  • wannaloseit77
    wannaloseit77 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Wow, huge congratulations!! I love your post (and the graphs too - another data freak here)! Well done!!
  • bfmummy
    bfmummy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    This is an amazingly helpful post! Thanks and well done on getting to goal!
  • SeriouslySta
    SeriouslySta Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Fantastic post - and congratulations!
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Oh my! You can talk nerdy to us anytime! ;)
  • Marlene1667
    Marlene1667 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU SO MUCH! Wow, what great information and advice. I could relate to everything you said. I get so discouraged sometimes and seeing your very REAL story has helped me enormously. Sometimes you see success stories where people lose 100lbs in a ridiculously short amount of time by just not drinking pop and not eating fast food 7 days a week . I am happy for them but at the same time I think - there has got to be something wrong with me. Congratulations on your success! Looking forward to your pictures :-)
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Wooow, good for you, and congrats on your amazing results! I love your approach and attitude, and I’m a huge fan of data, so :+1::smile:

Funny you should mention spikes, because just last week I gained 5lbs of pure bloat in 2 days (I had cake, so much cake, and takeout). My instinct was to panic, but then I thought: hey, lots of people on MFP say they see big spikes like this too, and I can’t have eaten 17,500 extra calories, no matter how inaccurate my tracking might’ve been. In other words, keeping it real helps keep everyone else on track! So thanks so much for your data, info, and encouragement.
  • greaseswabber
    greaseswabber Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Excellent post. Congratulations on your achievement. It's great to see someone achieve their goal in almost exactly the same way I am doing it (daily weigh-in, track on Libra, deficit mostly from diet).
  • tesha_chandler
    tesha_chandler Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Where did you find the graph that you used? I want to use it! lol I love your idea of weighing. Wake, pee, record! lol
  • qn4bx9pzg8aifd
    qn4bx9pzg8aifd Posts: 258 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS !!! :)

This is one of the most information-filled, and important, posts I've ever seen, on all of MFP...

And thank you for being a "data freak" (your words! ;) ) -- and for including so much explanatory context and specifics in your post. I have no doubt that this data-laden 'walk-through' the timeline associated with your weight loss, and your pointing out several spikes and stalls that occurred 'along the way' -- and providing context for each -- will help MANY people.

If I had learned of your story 'in person', I'd launch into hugging you right about now (to convey the so-happy-for-you delight that is currently keeping a smile on my face)... :)

This is so terrific, and SO important... and so *real*... and relateable... and understandable... (and my goodness, those fantastic graphs you so diligently provided data for!) -- all of this is so *powerful*...!

THANK YOU for being who you are, and for 'swimming in' that data, and for putting your story 'out there', for others to see (and undoubtedly be encouraged by, relieved by, inspired by, and most important of all -- informed by)...! WAY TO GO! :smile:
  • 257_Lag
    Options
    Emilia777 wrote: »
    Wooow, good for you, and congrats on your amazing results! I love your approach and attitude, and I’m a huge fan of data, so :+1::smile:

Funny you should mention spikes, because just last week I gained 5lbs of pure bloat in 2 days (I had cake, so much cake, and takeout). My instinct was to panic, but then I thought: hey, lots of people on MFP say they see big spikes like this too, and I can’t have eaten 17,500 extra calories, no matter how inaccurate my tracking might’ve been. In other words, keeping it real helps keep everyone else on track! So thanks so much for your data, info, and encouragement.

Those spikes are why I am a huge fan of daily weighing and learning about the fluctuations rather than letting them upset you. What if your weekly or monthly weigh in is on a spike day?

Let's say I weighed once a month on the 5th because 5 is my lucky number. Crap! I've been good all month and didn't lose ANYTHING right? I may have even GAINED a little!!! How upsetting would that be?

iqwuw5oxg27c.jpg

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! Thank you for sharing your journey with us.
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    257_Lag wrote: »
    Those spikes are why I am a huge fan of daily weighing and learning about the fluctuations rather than letting them upset you. What if your weekly or monthly weigh in is on a spike day?

Let's say I weighed once a month on the 5th because 5 is my lucky number. Crap! I've been good all month and didn't lose ANYTHING right? I may have even GAINED a little!!! How upsetting would that be?

It is so inspiring to see your chart, and I totally agree about the spikes. I weigh and record in most days (except when I am travelling) but I also look at gain/loss on the 1st of each month. On 1 March I was in the middle of one of those spikey/weight up times; on 1 April I was lower than I had ever been. It looked like I lost 4.3kg in March and only 0.8 in February and 0.6 in April, but the daily graph tells a rather different story.
  • qn4bx9pzg8aifd
    qn4bx9pzg8aifd Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    And to add yet another helpful chart-with-explanatory-comments!

257_Lag, you are a gift(-to-the-MFP-community) that just keeps on giving! :)

THANK YOU!!! :smiley:
  • culberjo65
    culberjo65 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Wow do I love this post! Thanks for sharing your data. It's very informative and encouraging.
  • 257_Lag
    Options
    Where did you find the graph that you used? I want to use it! lol I love your idea of weighing. Wake, pee, record! lol

It's a free Android app called Libra but there are many out there like it. You can even use Excel if you don't need anything snazzy :p

• 257_Lag
    Options
    I matched my all time high spike of 6 pounds yesterday! I got into a late night fight with a tub of Costco Spinach Dip Saturday night and lost. That stuff is like crack for me. The calories aren't so bad but the sodium! Puffy fingers and face the next morning. I went ultra low sodium yesterday and pounded the water to get 4 of them back off by this morning. The rest will be gone tomorrow.
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Very nice! Congrats!! Nice way to view your tracking too!
  • magairlin
    magairlin Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Congratulations and thank you for sharing your insight. I think this is the first time I have ever seen advice to weigh every day. It seems like good advice to me. Best of luck.
  • subversive99
    subversive99 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    As a fellow data nerd, all I can say is awesome awesome awesome. Your story lets me know I'm on the right track, thank you.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!