restaurant portion size

Options

Replies

• Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Don't eat at restaurants. Period. Just don't. They pile calories upon calories and sodium upon sodium. Don't do it.

With all due respect, that is a ludicrous overreaction to the challenges one faces on maintaining a calorie and weight loss goal.

OP - you can try to make lower cal choices on other meals during the day; undertake some activity to burn more energy that day or the next; maybe pass on some of the more calorie-dense menu offerings in favor of something that appeals but is less calorie dense; I sometimes end up sharing plates family style with friends / family. I also like the idea of putting your leftovers out of reach during the ride home so you don't end up snacking.

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Don't eat at restaurants. Period. Just don't. They pile calories upon calories and sodium upon sodium. Don't do it.

Hmm...can be rather difficult to never go to a restaurant...what if it is a special occasion, or a one off? what if you have a family who eat out a lot? There is always healthy options and choices...and if not... Everyone needs a little treat now and again, reward your efforts :)

Yep and scratch your head as to why you are still gaining weight.

Or just be an adult and create the extra calories by budgeting in your allowance or doing exercise, splitting it straight away or boxing it. Its not hard and wont have you needlessly missing out on social occasions. Theres no reason it has to result in weight gain and no need to be so negative.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    No such luck, having leftover food for a doggie bag here in the UK.
    The portion sizes ain't too big.
    As someone suggested earlier OP, maybe ask for a smaller portion.
  • paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I don't think I ever leave enough food for it to be enough to take! But them I'm in the UK and our portions generally aren't as big. Anyway, as much as I hate food waste could you box part of the meal and just leave it behind or give it to someone else?

But definitely don't avoid eating out. Just learn to make better choices and eat less, that's what I've been doing.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    We go to restaurants rarely, but we're going out for Thai tonight and I'm eating the entire plate of Tofu Pad See Ew. That's right - the whole plate. I worked out a bit longer today and ate lighter at lunch. It can be done!! Life is too short not to enjoy...
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    We go to restaurants rarely, but we're going out for Thai tonight and I'm eating the entire plate of Tofu Pad See Ew. That's right - the whole plate. I worked out a bit longer today and ate lighter at lunch. It can be done!! Life is too short not to enjoy...

Wohoo! I like the sound of that. And yes, totally agree with everyone who says to just fit it into your day (or week). Eating out can be really nice and relaxing and a wonderful treat. I’ve been doing it more than usual lately (lots of special occasions) and it hasn’t hindered my weight loss one bit.
  • ChefSteveUrso
    ChefSteveUrso Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Either stop doing that, or plan to eat it all. Choices.

^^ this, American restaurant portions are usually enough calories for two meals, it's not like this in most other countries. It's our supersize everything culture. Smaller portions choices are starting to be more common on menus, hopefully soon it will be a standard option. Until then just don't eat it all, you can do that.
  • DebzNuDa
    DebzNuDa Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I always order or ask for a child serving or senior (since I AM old :( ). The ridiculous servings that restaurants give are never going to work for me. Most times I don't even eat that.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
  • megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Also in the UK and taking home leftovers isn't the norm. I've got a big appetite for my height and usually finish my plate of food. If I'm full I leave it and it gets taken away. I'd be embarrassed to ask for a takeaway at the end of a meal.

If we're at a carvery type of place I'll load up on vegetables and not billions of potatoes. If I'm feeling full and we have puffing I'll opt for coffee instead (I don't have sugar). Or just eat the pudding and balance out with exercise and choices elsewhere in the week.
  • megomerrett
    Options
    Also, when I've done weight watchers in the past I've got so depressed and stressed out in restaurants and cafes and it's just not a good place to be mentally. So now I select food I want to eat. And don't fill up on bread. And log it. Without guilt. But make adjustments to my other meals. Meals out are usually for a birthday or other celebration and I do g want to be Buzz Killington.
  • megomerrett
    Options
    Also, when I've done weight watchers in the past I've got so depressed and stressed out in restaurants and cafes and it's just not a good place to be mentally. So now I select food I want to eat. And don't fill up on bread. And log it. Without guilt. But make adjustments to my other meals. Meals out are usually for a birthday or other celebration and I do g want to be Buzz Killington.
  • DebzNuDa
    Options
    Jgasmic wrote: »
    There are too many social obligations that require eating in a restaurant to just say you'll never eat in a restaurant again. I limit it to social occasions and not just because I don't feel like cooking, but I'm not going to turn into a hermit because of some extra sodium and calories. That would not be sustainable to me and my lifestyle. I make the best choices I can, and if a 900 calorie piece of cheesecake happens (and sometimes it does) I accept that my weight loss may be less that week and generally I think it was worth it. :)

Yes, my family meets together every week. This week I ordered a grilled loin center pork chop (salt and pepper only) with a requested serving of steamed mushroom slices, steamed broccoli, zucchini, carrot and cauliflower, and unsweetened ice tea. I took half of the pork to my father-in-law and I feel like I ate a very healthy and delicious dinner. So, I will never forgo a nice dinner with my family be it homemade (they do not cook) or at the restaurants.
  • DebzNuDa
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Hmm...can be rather difficult to never go to a restaurant...what if it is a special occasion, or a one off? what if you have a family who eat out a lot? There is always healthy options and choices...and if not... Everyone needs a little treat now and again, reward your efforts :)

I go out to eat 3+ times a week and have lost quite successfully. Last night I went out and had an 11 oz steak and 2 salads with ranch dressing, cheese, and croutons. What works for you may not work for others and vice versa.

^This. (And NO, I'm NOT still gaining weight but rather still LOSE.) Thank you very much.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

Avoidance is not the answer. Learning portion control in all situations is.
  • pixie_mills
    pixie_mills Posts: 103 Member
    Options

Not scratching my head. If I go out for a nice meal I'm gonna enjoy it! If that means tailoring my calories and macros during the week and days beforehand and doing that extra work out then so be it. If I'm 1-2lbs up on the morning after my meal out am I going to freak out? No. I'm not. Because I've been careful and I've planned. And I'm savvy enough to know that it will be water weight.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

Not scratching my head. If I go out for a nice meal I'm gonna enjoy it! If that means tailoring my calories and macros during the week and days beforehand and doing that extra work out then so be it. If I'm 1-2lbs up on the morning after my meal out am I going to freak out? No. I'm not. Because I've been careful and I've planned. And I'm savvy enough to know that it will be water weight.
    Yep. Planning is the key.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options

well thats a sad way to live the rest of your life but hey if it works for you.....

i eat out a LOT. i generally eat half and take the rest home and have it for dinner or the next day.
  • calliegirl73
    calliegirl73 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    i get a to-go box and take 1/2 home for lunch the next day.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    If the portion I'm served seems large, I lop off 1/3 of it and give it to my husband.

Also some of the restaurants we visit offer two portion sizes ... a half size and a full size. I always order the half size.