restaurant portion size

i just admitted to myself that i cant throw food away when im at a restaurant. people say box ur food but i end up snacking on the way home. does anyone else have this issue or recommendations? thanks!

Replies

• Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Split your meal with someone? :smile: Or, enjoy yourself and compensate for the extra calories on other days that week?
  • Jgasmic
    Jgasmic Posts: 219 Member
    I'm the same way, although I have recently been able to bring something home and eat it the next day. For the most part I try to order something that is reasonable as a single meal for me since generally if it is in front of me I will struggle to stop eating, especially if I'm chatting and not really paying attention. If it is a restaurant I haven't been to (without calorie info online) I'll look at the plates being served around me or ask the server to get an idea of the portion sizes so I can make a slightly more informed choice.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Emilia777 wrote: »
    Split your meal with someone? :smile: Or, enjoy yourself and compensate for the extra calories on other days that week?

^^That... or you can put the box on the back seat of the car. Can't snack if it's not in your hands. And have the willpower to walk from the car to your home and stick the food in the fridge. Can't snack if it's put away. :flowerforyou:
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    I started ordering smaller versions of things. You can ask for half portions, at least some restaurants in VT allow you to.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    I am trying to learn to box half right away.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Don't eat at restaurants. Period. Just don't. They pile calories upon calories and sodium upon sodium. Don't do it.
  • Jgasmic
    Jgasmic Posts: 219 Member
    Don't eat at restaurants. Period. Just don't. They pile calories upon calories and sodium upon sodium. Don't do it.
    There are too many social obligations that require eating in a restaurant to just say you'll never eat in a restaurant again. I limit it to social occasions and not just because I don't feel like cooking, but I'm not going to turn into a hermit because of some extra sodium and calories. That would not be sustainable to me and my lifestyle. I make the best choices I can, and if a 900 calorie piece of cheesecake happens (and sometimes it does) I accept that my weight loss may be less that week and generally I think it was worth it. :)

• pixie_mills
    pixie_mills Posts: 103 Member

Hmm...can be rather difficult to never go to a restaurant...what if it is a special occasion, or a one off? what if you have a family who eat out a lot? There is always healthy options and choices...and if not... Everyone needs a little treat now and again, reward your efforts :)
  • pixie_mills
    pixie_mills Posts: 103 Member
    Jgasmic wrote: »
    There are too many social obligations that require eating in a restaurant to just say you'll never eat in a restaurant again. I limit it to social occasions and not just because I don't feel like cooking, but I'm not going to turn into a hermit because of some extra sodium and calories. That would not be sustainable to me and my lifestyle. I make the best choices I can, and if a 900 calorie piece of cheesecake happens (and sometimes it does) I accept that my weight loss may be less that week and generally I think it was worth it. :)

^^ This :)
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Jgasmic wrote: »

^This.

I usually go with making the best choice option, though.

We don't eat out all that frequently thanks to our dietary restrictions (I'm a vegetarian with celiac disease and my husband is a very picky eater with GERD and a very sensitive stomach). There's one regular place we go to and there are a couple of items on its menu that I can order, depending on what I want to do with my calories. One is even a brownie sundae, and one is as simple as a 250 calorie bowl of vegetarian chili that I can fit into any day.

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member

I like eating at restaurants.

OP, I just always plan to eat half of my meal (I often split my food with one of my kids), or order a smaller portion. I am not a leftovers kinda person, so I do leave food on the table. I've learned to be okay with that.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    I tell myself it's SO GOOD! Let's have it again tomorrow! So it helps me save the rest for the next day.
  • peterjens
    peterjens Posts: 235 Member
    stephyj528 wrote: »
    but i end up snacking on the way home.

Order a soup and/or salad. It's harder to eat these on the way home.
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Ugh.. I cant imagine never eating at a restaurant again for the rest of my life. That is never going to happen. Horrible advice... better is to learn how to eat at a restaurant than to avoid the challenge altogether.

What struck me is you saying you graze on the leftovers on the way home in the car. Im always the driver, and I dont eat when I drive (this is Miami, I need both hands on the wheel and mad defensive driving skills or we'd never make it anywhere alive lol) but regardless, I toss the leftovers in the backseat completely out of reach. When we get home, it goes straight into the fridge.

At the restaurant though...portions are *huge* for sure most of the time. If I don't even want to deal with it (and this before I even started trying to lose weight) I would order an appetizer and one main course for kiddo and I to share (and shes 18, she eats her fair share!!) or I would just order 2 or 3 appetizers for us to share. Then at least, the portions are reasonable.

If I get my own main, then we skip the appetizers completely, I separate half my meal on my plate and then box up the rest for leftovers to have for lunch the next day. I *really* want to be able to sit down and enjoy my lunch, so that keeps me from eating it before then. The mindset that its something Im looking forward to eating it keeps me from eating it before then.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Either stop doing that, or plan to eat it all. Choices.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited May 2015
    What are these leftovers you speak of?

Put the box in the trunk of your car for the drive home.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member

Hmm...can be rather difficult to never go to a restaurant...what if it is a special occasion, or a one off? what if you have a family who eat out a lot? There is always healthy options and choices...and if not... Everyone needs a little treat now and again, reward your efforts :)

Yep and scratch your head as to why you are still gaining weight.
  • Mentiri
    Mentiri Posts: 1,356 Member
    I have the restaurant split my order and box half before they bring it out. Try to fill up on the salad and water, not the bread, and eat the other half of your entree slowly. I always leave feeling full (and smug!). My favorite restaurants are all happy to help.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member

Yep and scratch your head as to why you are still gaining weight.

I go out to eat 3+ times a week and have lost quite successfully. Last night I went out and had an 11 oz steak and 2 salads with ranch dressing, cheese, and croutons. What works for you may not work for others and vice versa.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited May 2015

That is a very sad outlook...

OP...self control...exercise it. Don't snack on it when you're driving home with your doggie bag.

Also, I often will split a meal with my wife....I often eat lighter and skip my usual snacks if I'm going to go out as well. Also, Sometimes going out is a treat for me after say a 30 mile ride or something.