Eating for Blood Type O Positive

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    I say, why not?
    Everyones body chemistry is different, and blood type is a part of that.

Because blood type does not effect lipolysis.
    Because the majority of people here have tried and failed in the past and giving them yet another gimmicky method isn't going to help.

We do not lose fat differently. Our physiology may require that we use different macronutrient intakes, or different energy intakes, or in some cases limit foods due to intolerance. But the physiology of fat loss is remarkably similar for all of us:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/you-are-not-different.html

Thank you for the information. & not being rude. :)

Thank you for not taking my blunt reply as rudeness like most people would. =)
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    I tried to explain this in another thread yesterday, but I'll try again here (I don't think I did a good job there so I won't just link back). It might be kind of confusing since I'm trying to cram a series of lectures (which were part of a course I took during my undergrad) into a few paragraphs here, so let me know if anything needs further explanation.

There is no merit to the blood type diet or the idea that blood type has some impact upon what you should be eating. Our bodies have adapted to diets over millennia of evolution, but we have only become aware of blood type very recently. We find the ABO blood types all over the world, regardless of local pressures. Blood type does not make any difference in our day-to-day lives; most people could go their whole lives without even knowing what theirs is and be perfectly fine. It is simply not something that has been important in terms of how our bodies adapt to nutritional availability.

Basically, blood type is not among the myriad of things that affect how well our individual bodies process certain foods. And just think about it for a second. Does it make any sense that of members of a group who have all eaten the exact same diet for generations, some of them are doing well and some of them really need to completely cut out what everyone else is eating? Especially based on something that no one would even know about if we didn't perform a blood test in the first place?
  • Ugh....... I'm 0 positive

according to WebMD
    If you're blood type O ("for old," as in humanity's oldest blood line) your digestive tract retains the memory of ancient times, says D'Adamo, so your metabolism will benefit from lean meats, poultry, and fish. You're advised to restrict grains, breads, and legumes, and to enjoy vigorous exercise.

Strange thing is: I've gotten to my goal and have never gave up any of these foods,
    and have done it withOUT vigorous exercise-
    Just walking, low impact aerobics and Pilates.

Phooey on fad diets.
    I've finally found a lifestyle that makes life liveable.
  • Chipmunk222
    Chipmunk222 Posts: 240 Member
    The book is called "Eat Right For Your Blood Type", it's not a diet (to lose weight) book per say... it's more about how food reacts with different blood types and why. It's pretty interesting and it worked for me... not to lose weight, but to eat. I went through a period of time where I could not eat, everything made me sick, I lost weight down to 98 pounds. Because my doctor suggested that I read this and not necessarily follow it exactly, but to use it as a guideline, to feeling better. It did work, I was able to eat and I stayed at a normal weight for me for 10 or so years. I was just wondering the other day where my copy of the book was so that I could read over it again.
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    GIVE UP COFFEE!!!

HELL No...I will continue to be acidic and just live with the consequences.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Whether there is any truth to this diet or not, it happens I'm following it, as a diet heavy in meat is recommended for O- as well as O+.

Now I need Winter to get here so I can follow that heavy exercise recommendation, too. Might even trade back coffee for tea again once I don't need the stuff just to prop me up in my chair.

Hm. But on closer inspection, at least one site says avoid pork, then gives no reason at all for it! I don't like advice that isn't followed by reasoning. Also, kind of fond of pork roast.
  • intoscrapping
    intoscrapping Posts: 51 Member
    BTW, forgot to mention . . . it's not so much about losing weight is it is just a healthy way of eating for each specific blood type. In other words, what foods are best for each type.

Yes, I feel like that explains why I have always felt famished without eating meat. Thank you for your comments! :-)
  • intoscrapping
    GIVE UP COFFEE!!!

HELL No...I will continue to be acidic and just live with the consequences.

LOL - LOL - LOL! :-)
  • intoscrapping
    The book is called "Eat Right For Your Blood Type", it's not a diet (to lose weight) book per say... it's more about how food reacts with different blood types and why. It's pretty interesting and it worked for me... not to lose weight, but to eat. I went through a period of time where I could not eat, everything made me sick, I lost weight down to 98 pounds. Because my doctor suggested that I read this and not necessarily follow it exactly, but to use it as a guideline, to feeling better. It did work, I was able to eat and I stayed at a normal weight for me for 10 or so years. I was just wondering the other day where my copy of the book was so that I could read over it again.

That's great! Thank you for sharing your story! :-)
  • intoscrapping
    Ugh....... I'm 0 positive

according to WebMD
    If you're blood type O ("for old," as in humanity's oldest blood line) your digestive tract retains the memory of ancient times, says D'Adamo, so your metabolism will benefit from lean meats, poultry, and fish. You're advised to restrict grains, breads, and legumes, and to enjoy vigorous exercise.

Strange thing is: I've gotten to my goal and have never gave up any of these foods,
    and have done it withOUT vigorous exercise-
    Just walking, low impact aerobics and Pilates.

Phooey on fad diets.
    I've finally found a lifestyle that makes life liveable.

That is good to know. I think everyone just needs to find out what is right for their own body. And I think it is interesting to hear what's worked and hasn't worked for others. Thanks for your input! And congrats on achieving your goal weight! :-)
  • intoscrapping
    LOL. cool! -- I am O+ also, and those things do work for me.

Cool! Good to know!
  • intoscrapping
    Does anyone eat according to their blood type? I am O Positive and have read that I should drink green tea instead of coffee. O Positivers are very acidic. But I will miss my coffee so! I have also read that I need to avoid dairy, carbs and gluten. Just wondering if anyone has any input on this ..... I have no health issues and take no medications.

It's quackery. Just because someone wrote a book on it doesn't mean it's real or proven to be effective.

duck.jpg

Hilarious! Both the comment on quackery and the rubber duckie! :-)
  • intoscrapping
    I may be looking at this wrong but....
    If you eat more vegetables, have less caffeine in your diet and eat 'better reared' meat then you will be healthier?.....:huh:

Surely that's the basis of a healthy lifestyle anyway? If it takes a book telling you its something to do with blood type to make you do those things then, I suppose at least your going to be eating better....

Yes, true .... :-)
  • intoscrapping
    I say, why not?

Because the majority of people here have tried and failed in the past and giving them yet another gimmicky method isn't going to help.

We do not lose fat differently. Our physiology may require that we use different macronutrient intakes, or different energy intakes, or in some cases limit foods due to intolerance. But the physiology of fat loss is remarkably similar for all of us:

That is so interesting ... I will have to read up on that ... But also, I think this whole Eat For Your Blood Type thing is not just for weight loss, but to avoid illnesses and stuff. So wouldn't there have to be some type of chemistry or science involved in all that? Unfortunately, science is not my strong subject .... but I appreciate everyone's comments on this post. :-)
  • intoscrapping
    Not that I buy into the concept entirely but I just learned this week that I'm O+ and over the years have struggled with gluten, dairy, and felt downright awful when I ate a vegetarian diet. I'm also an avid exerciser, I always knew I felt better doing it...who knows if there's any relation to my blood type. There's no way I'm giving up coffee though!

Isn't that interesting?!? :-) Thanks for your input!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    So wouldn't there have to be some type of chemistry or science involved in all that?

No.

Will you have food intolerances or allergies? You could, but it's not based on your blood type.
  • intoscrapping
    I am O positive - drink 2 to 3 cups of coffee a day - and it has not hampered my weight-loss (or if it has it has not been significant, as I am quite happy with my weight loss...)

I also drink 2 to 3 cups of green tea a day - so maybe it helps to cancel out the coffee ;-)
    That is interesting .... :-) Well, I guess the coffee is not recommended because O Positivers have highly acidic stomachs. I know some of my friends get stomach aches from too much coffee. Not this girl so I don't think I can give it up entirely. But ... maybe I will start adding green tea like you have ....

I wonder if there are coffee tasting drinks that have no coffee .... just like there is non-alcoholic beer .... LOL

you could try teecino. it doesn't taste exactly like coffee, but it is similar. they even suggest you slowly wean yourself off coffee by mixing more and more teeccino with less and less coffee. http://teeccino.com/

best wishes! i'm a huge believer in eating the right foods for your body... (not necessarily based on blood-type or whatever else, but by careful observation of how you feel after eating certain foods.)

Thank you! Never heard of that .... Will look into it!
  • Minifeet
    Minifeet Posts: 18 Member
    Hmmm, I'm O+ and have been veggie for over 20 years. My bloodwork is always great (my weight loss demons are eating out, wine and portion sizes)

Sounds like bunkum to me.
  • intoscrapping
    I say, why not?

Thank you for the information. & not being rude. :)

Thank you for not taking my blunt reply as rudeness like most people would. =)

It was a very informative reply. Thank you. :-)
  • musiche
    musiche Posts: 214 Member
    I heard a bit about this recently. At first it sounds ridiculous, but then when you consider that different blood types developed in different regions of the world as we evolved (back when travelling long distances was rare - we're talking hundreds, thousands and millions of years ago) it makes a lot of sense. Different regions of the world evolved because of their environments and our survival depended on our ability to use what nature provided us and our ability to adapt to that.

It's interesting, but at the same time, we are such a mixing pot of different lineages these days... Our blood type may be that of our scottish mother, when our father is east indian - this doesn't mean our body is suited to a scottish diet by any means. We may be partial to east indian cuisine or, more likely, a mix of both, and then throw in our grand parents and great grand parent's lineage... We are such a mishmash of different ethnicities these days that one diet is probably not as specific as we would think to our body's needs. And this day and age, we are SO far from what our ancestor's ate, or even our parents and grand parents. Our diets have evolved insanely fast, too fast - hence the obesity epidemic. My most liked philosophy is just trying to eat more of what mother nature gives us, and having things less processed/cooked whenever possible. Fresh, fresh, fresh!

Eat healthy, bottom line, and if the guidelines of this philosophy get you there, then by all means, do it!

:)