Eating for Blood Type O Positive

Options
Does anyone eat according to their blood type? I am O Positive and have read that I should drink green tea instead of coffee. O Positivers are very acidic. But I will miss my coffee so! I have also read that I need to avoid dairy, carbs and gluten. Just wondering if anyone has any input on this ..... I have no health issues and take no medications.

Replies

• Thaelvyn
    Thaelvyn Posts: 67
    Options
    Never heard of this, do you have a source/link available? (Not doubting, just willing to increase my knowledge).
  • mimieob
    mimieob Posts: 54
    Options
    would like more info too...I am type A, courios what I should stay away from
  • intoscrapping
    intoscrapping Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am researching this, too. My brother who has degree in Nutrition was just talking to me about it.
    Here's the author's site: http://www.dadamo.com/
    Here's a WebMD site: http://www.webmd.com/diet/eat-right-for-your-type
    And if you google on Livestrong there are articles on there, too.

I don't think it is so much to lose weight, but to be healthy ... like to avoid possible health issues .... I just really don't want to have to give up my coffee. LOL :-)
  • SeanNJ
    SeanNJ Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    From what little I can find, there's no peer-reviewed evidence that shows this diet works.

So, I would just continue to drink your coffee.
  • misswager
    misswager Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    From what little I can find, there's no peer-reviewed evidence that shows this diet works.

agreed
  • intoscrapping
    Options
    One of the things about it is the pH balance in your body with acids vs. alkaline. One thing's for sure, I do need to eat more vegetables .... so maybe if anything I will be encouraged to add more green leafy vegetables to my diet! :-)
  • DarkNebula84
    DarkNebula84 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    That is interesting, I have never heard that before. I am O negative...I can't stay away from coffee!!
  • intoscrapping
    Options
    Sounds good to me! LOL :-)
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    I am O positive - drink 2 to 3 cups of coffee a day - and it has not hampered my weight-loss (or if it has it has not been significant, as I am quite happy with my weight loss...)

I also drink 2 to 3 cups of green tea a day - so maybe it helps to cancel out the coffee ;-)
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    this was one of the many yo-yo fad diets I tried back in the 90's, now that I'm diet older and wiser I can honestly say there wasn't any evidence to support the author's claims, frankly the only blood type that makes a difference in what you eat is insulin resistant/diabetic verses not.
  • intoscrapping
    Options

Here's an article: http://livelongerwithoz.com/2011/08/does-eating-for-your-blood-type-really-work/
    I think it's interesting because I always tend to crave meat and protein and supposedly that is good for my blood type (O Positive). I don't think I could ever be a vegetarian cuz I like meat so much! Maybe I am old school, but I still think a balanced diet is best and I want to get better at "clean" eating .... no fast foods or processed foods (except for Taco Bell - LOL).
  • intoscrapping
    Options
    this was one of the many yo-yo fad diets I tried back in the 90's, now that I'm diet older and wiser I can honestly say there wasn't any evidence to support the author's claims, frankly the only blood type that makes a difference in what you eat is insulin resistant/diabetic verses not.
    Thank you for your input. :-)
  • nas061
    nas061 Posts: 256 Member
    Options

agreed

^^^^ agreed also
  • intoscrapping
    Options
    I am O positive - drink 2 to 3 cups of coffee a day - and it has not hampered my weight-loss (or if it has it has not been significant, as I am quite happy with my weight loss...)

I also drink 2 to 3 cups of green tea a day - so maybe it helps to cancel out the coffee ;-)
    That is interesting .... :-) Well, I guess the coffee is not recommended because O Positivers have highly acidic stomachs. I know some of my friends get stomach aches from too much coffee. Not this girl so I don't think I can give it up entirely. But ... maybe I will start adding green tea like you have ....

I wonder if there are coffee tasting drinks that have no coffee .... just like there is non-alcoholic beer .... LOL
  • intoscrapping
    Options
    That is interesting, I have never heard that before. I am O negative...I can't stay away from coffee!!
    Me too! I drink it when it's 100 degrees out, but when I am indoors in the air conditioning! :-)
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I've heard about it - seems like mumbo-jumbo to me.
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am researching this, too. My brother who has degree in Nutrition was just talking to me about it.

I don't think it is so much to lose weight, but to be healthy ... like to avoid possible health issues .... I just really don't want to have to give up my coffee. LOL :-)

Coffee has been shown to have many health benefits such as diabetes and cancer prevention, so I wouldn't give it up if I were you.
    Your lungs and kidneys do a wonderful job of keeping your body's ph balanced.
  • intoscrapping
    Options

Coffee has been shown to have many health benefits such as diabetes and cancer prevention, so I wouldn't give it up if I were you.
    Your lungs and kidneys do a wonderful job of keeping your body's ph balanced.
    Thank you for the input. :-)
  • BenderFitness
    Options
    I had to do a report on this as part of my yoga certification in my holistic health class. I think that there is some truth to it, but with anything there is individual variation. Think about it, we know that chemicals in the air, in food, etc, can make you sick. Why wouldn't your blood type have some influence on your life and diet. I don't think you need to stop drinking coffee, or eating anything that isn't bothering you.

I can say that I am O+ and I was a vegetarian for 3 years, and was sick all the time. Normally I never get sick. O blood is the most primitive and oldest blood type, and are supposedly natural meat eaters. Also, many of the things on that list don't agree with my body. I was getting stomach aches all the time and finally figured out anything with corn does that to me. I'm fine with wheat. I'm good with coffee, but when I hit my limit I immediately break out into cold sweats. I don't have any issues with green tea.

In addition people with O blood are supposedly very responsive to vigorous exercise, both physically and mentally. For me exercise can lift my entire mood, and give me energy. If I feel sluggish I know the best thing I can do to get energized is workout. I think it can be a decent guideline, but listening to your own body is number one. :)
  • intoscrapping
    Options
    I had to do a report on this as part of my yoga certification in my holistic health class. I think that there is some truth to it, but with anything there is individual variation. Think about it, we know that chemicals in the air, in food, etc, can make you sick. Why wouldn't your blood type have some influence on your life and diet. I don't think you need to stop drinking coffee, or eating anything that isn't bothering you.

I can say that I am O+ and I was a vegetarian for 3 years, and was sick all the time. Normally I never get sick. O blood is the most primitive and oldest blood type, and are supposedly natural meat eaters. Also, many of the things on that list don't agree with my body. I was getting stomach aches all the time and finally figured out anything with corn does that to me. I'm fine with wheat. I'm good with coffee, but when I hit my limit I immediately break out into cold sweats. I don't have any issues with green tea.

In addition people with O blood are supposedly very responsive to vigorous exercise, both physically and mentally. For me exercise can lift my entire mood, and give me energy. If I feel sluggish I know the best thing I can do to get energized is workout. I think it can be a decent guideline, but listening to your own body is number one. :)

That is really interesting and I appreciate your input! I have read that exercises energizes O positivers and it totally is the case for me. When I was exercising regularly (and now getting back into the routine again) I would exercise as soon as I got home from work ... before I got too lazy or relaxed. It would completely re-energize me and eventually I feel like I changed the metabolism of my energy level. That is also interesting that being a vegetarian didn't work for you. So I do think there is some validity to us needing meat and protein. I think the key is knowing our body and how it responds to certain foods. Thanks for taking the time to stop by! :-)