Will going back on birth control impact weight?

Options
timeflies95
timeflies95 Posts: 14 Member
edited May 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I can't decide whether or not to go back on birth control (I was on it for 3 years and just came off it last month). My acne and cramps are bad since going off however I've lost about 10 pounds that would not budge. I want to go back on it to help my other issues but I'm terrified the weight will just come back. Any suggestions?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    It shouldn't...

Birth control can cause some water weight to stay or an increase in appetite but if you are aware of those things you can do what you need to counter those side effects. Such as counting calories to ensure you stay in goal, recognizing hunger vs appetite/boredom.
  • timeflies95
    timeflies95 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    It shouldn't...

Birth control can cause some water weight to stay or an increase in appetite but if you are aware of those things you can do what you need to counter those side effects. Such as counting calories to ensure you stay in goal, recognizing hunger vs appetite/boredom.

So do you think I should go back on it? Any ideas to prevent the water weight from coming back?

• misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    Would you rather the cramps and acne, or a minor setback in your journey?

I have never understood the fear of getting on bc because of the mythical "weight gain". It's the stupidest reason I've ever heard for not going on the pill.
  • cosmo_momo
    cosmo_momo Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    If you are weighing your food and logging accurately, you shouldn't worry about gaining weight on BC. If you are engaging in potentially pregnancy causing acts and you would like to avoid pregnancy, then yes I think you should go back on birth control :) But that's just my 2 cents.
  • tiarajj08
    tiarajj08 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I am on mirena and I started counting calories and walking and drinking nothing but water and I lost 17lbs in one month.
  • cosmo_momo
    cosmo_momo Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    tiarajj08 wrote: »
    I am on mirena and I started counting calories and walking and drinking nothing but water and I lost 17lbs in one month.

I also have Mirena! I've been able to lose on it as well :)
  • tiarajj08
    tiarajj08 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    quote="cosmo_momo;32347564"]

I also have Mirena! I've been able to lose on it as well :)[/quote]

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I started the pill in August of last year and have lost 32 pounds since. Just be mindful of your calorie intake.
  • aubiefan122013
    aubiefan122013 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I put off going on the pill for a while because of this fear, and once I bit the bullet and did it . . . no weight gain, possibly even some loss. Even better, I felt like it sort of redistributed the body fat I already had in a more flattering way (I've always been a little small "on top" and went up a half a cup size).

I do put on a couple of pounds of water weight during placebo week, but it disappears overnight and is no worse that what happens during a natural menstrual period.

Oh and I've been on a generic of Lo-Ovral, if anyone is interested. It's been over five years now and the only side effect I've had is some headaches the first day or two after a placebo week ends.
  • eyeofnewt555
    eyeofnewt555 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I switched from hormonal birth control to the Paragard IUD a few weeks ago (no period yet, so I can't comment on cramping). Lost about 5 pounds scary fast right after. Was worried until I realized it was water weight. On top of that (and this may be psychological) my appetite has gone waaay down. You couldn't pay me to go back now.

If you want to be on a method of birth control that won't have the same hormonal effects as the oral contraceptive, definitely look into getting an IUD. Under the new healthcare laws, most insurance plans should cover it 100% without copay or deductible.
  • shaunte92
    shaunte92 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Most methods of birth control do not cause any significant weight gain... But still there is this myth out there that they do. You will be fine, go back on it. Also for me, getting my cramps and pain under control was the most important thing. My period gets so bad that I literally cant leave the house 2 days of the month if I'm not taking birth control, stopping me from being able to work and do other important things. If you're like me, definitely get back on it.
  • NekoneMeowMixx
    NekoneMeowMixx Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I mean, if you get pregnant, you'll have a lot more than those 10 pounds to worry about, so... ;P

Plus, if you're anything like me, birth control helps not only with the cramps and acne, but the horrendous PITA that is PMS... (granted I still go crazy, just not as much... :P)
  • cindyangotti
    cindyangotti Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    It shouldn't...

So do you think I should go back on it? Any ideas to prevent the water weight from coming back?

To help with water weight you can do some extra cardio, drink water, and if needed take a water pill. You will not have water weight forever, maybe just the first month until your body gets used to it. Or maybe just before your periods. I don't weigh myself the week before my period for this reason.
  • RedArizona5
    RedArizona5 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I have the implanon implant and i LOVE it. I heard bad stuff about it but i started with the depo vera and i had to eat a half a gallon of the candy bar ice-cream everyday (when i was working out and all to) completely stopped me dead in my weightless tracks. I was moodier and gained 15 pounds in 3 months!!!! I had lost nice under wear due to erratic spotting-that annoyed me a lot.
    I have the implanon and don't crave a thing. i did have a period for 2 weeks straight but it was worth it. i have something whats near to those dieases where i have super painful periods and the 2 weeks wasn't bait was lighter/less painful and eventually went away. you have to have a positive mindset about it though and it eventually jelled with me. No i don't spot and don't crave and my mood is intact. <3<3<3
  • RedArizona5
    RedArizona5 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    shaunte92 wrote: »
    Most methods of birth control do not cause any significant weight gain... But still there is this myth out there that they do. You will be fine, go back on it. Also for me, getting my cramps and pain under control was the most important thing. My period gets so bad that I literally cant leave the house 2 days of the month if I'm not taking birth control, stopping me from being able to work and do other important things. If you're like me, definitely get back on it.
    Depo vera made me gain 15 pounds and I'm very dislipend about my food. i felt very pre go and felt very hungry all the time. i could eat n eat. stopped it after the 3rd month and the cravings went with it but I was the one who to deal with the weight gain ;(
  • rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options
    I always gain when I try to stop taking birth control. My hormones are crazy and bc keeps it under control.

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I'm on the depo shot, and have lost@70 lbs on it. Weight gain on birth control is a myth
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »
    Would you rather the cramps and acne, or a minor setback in your journey?

I have never understood the fear of getting on bc because of the mythical "weight gain". It's the stupidest reason I've ever heard for not going on the pill.

I gained weight on the pill. And my boobs grew, and my mood shifted. And I got migraines. And acne. Are bad moods and migraines an acceptable reason to you to not want to be on the pill? :|

OP: the call is yours. Some folks find that they gain weight on some hormonal BC but not others, some can't tolerate any of them (I'm in that camp).

Best of luck to you. if you DO go back on, be extra vigilant about your eating and hunger until you know how it's going to affect you this time (which also changes).
  • tiffanybrooks530
    tiffanybrooks530 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Im on lo-loestren fe, no weight issues, i just love food and i need to exercise more. In the beginning 3-6mths some spotting if you are not perfect with taking on time, and some acne when you get OFF it so i had to see a dermatologist. But I love love love no cramps, no period (after 3 mths it goes away), too many benefits to list. other drawback is low mo-jo (which may not be an issue for some)
  • tiffanybrooks530
    tiffanybrooks530 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    cosmo_momo wrote: »

I also have Mirena! I've been able to lose on it as well :)

nice to hear maybe ill look into it down the road, im happy with lo-loestrin fe for now