Protien

Options
wooisebart
wooisebart Posts: 10 Member
I seem to be having an issue with my protien intake. I eat fruit and veggies, but all that mostly is is carbs and fat. What does everyone eat for protien? :o

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Do a search - there's literally 100s of threads on the topic!
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Protein bars under or around 200 cals for a filling, fast snack on the go. Chicken breast. Fish is mostly protein and water. There's very little fat in nearly all species of fish. A 4oz filet of fish is typically under 100 cals and has over 20g protein. When I buy oatmeal and cereal, I get the kinds with higher protein. Special K Cinnamon ceareal with protein tastes like French Toast Crunch. If I'm going to eat cereal, I may as well get some extra protein with it! Protein is, by far, the most difficult macro for me to meet.
  • carriehanson74
    carriehanson74 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Quest Protein bars are great.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Eggs. lean meat, beans, cheese, yogurt,
  • wooisebart
    Options
    Imagine those combined together...... Ehhh.... But thank you, any preferances on cheese? Is more protien packed than others?
  • wooisebart
    Options
    Ya, protien is intense, and it is hard to find bars with low calories that are not super expensive. But health comes first, then money.
  • coraljane64
    coraljane64 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Protein makes up about half of the human body's dry weight. Many of the foods we eat contain protein, particularly flesh foods (chicken, beef, lamb, fish, goat, basically animal flesh) also nuts and legumes. Proteins are digested to release amino acids. In the body, amino acids are used to make new proteins, converted into hormones such as adrenalin or may be used as an energy source.

Some sources of dietary protein include:
    lean meats such as explained above
    *eggs
    *dairy products like milk, yoghurt and cheese
    * seeds and nuts
    * beans and legumes (such as lentils and chickpeas)
    *soy products like tofu (but to be honest as most soy is GM's these days the human body does not digest it well and the amino platform just isn't there.
    *some grain and cereal-based products are also sources of protein, but are generally not as high in protein as meat and meat alternative products.

Your protein needs

The amount of protein you need in your diet depends on your weight, age and health. As a rough guide, the recommended dietary intake (RDI) for protein (measured in grams per kilogram of bodyweight) is:
    0.75 g/kg for adult women
    0.84 g/kg for adult men
    Athletes male and female have higher demands to require higher levels.
    1 - 1.25 g/kg for adult women
    1.25-1.5 g/kg for adult men

This is a guide only, work load demands dictate the requirements.

Around 1 g/kg for pregnant and breastfeeding women, and for men and women over 70 years.
    For example, a 75 kg adult male would need 63 g of protein per day. It is recommended that 15 to 25 per cent of total energy intake per day is from protein sources. The human body can’t store protein and will excrete any excess. Therefore, the most effective way of using the daily protein requirement is to eat small amounts at every meal. Using the example of the 75 kg male above, this would require that he eats approximately 21 g of protein at three meals each day.

The needs of children and adolescents also vary according to their age and weight. A full list of recommendations for dietary protein is available from the Australian Nutrient Reference Values (NRVs) website.

While Quest bars and other Protein bars might do on the run now and again, sourcing your protein from fresh foods, and not over priced gimmicky bars that contain a heap of other unrequired sugars and other processed carbs and glutenish fillers. They aren't real food.

It doesn't take much to make yourself some easy on the run protein rissoles you can pack and tote with you if your one to use the excuse of convenience or lack of time. Fun to make with your own twist on variety.
  • mrswalton7
    mrswalton7 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I eat eggs for breakfast and whatever clean meat I'm in the mood for (about 5-6 oz per meal) for lunch and dinner. I like to cook meat for my salad lunch the evening before. Cheese, nuts and seeds round out my day.
  • WeAreAnonymous
    WeAreAnonymous Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I like to make a protein shake with whey protein isolate.
  • EricE123P
    EricE123P Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Eggs, fish, chicken. Cottage cheese is a great source of casein protein as well. I personally like drinking protein shakes as a post workout meal.
  • umphresbill
    umphresbill Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    hanshock wrote: »
    Quest Protein bars are great.
    X2
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    mrswalton7 wrote: »
    I eat eggs for breakfast and whatever clean meat I'm in the mood for (about 5-6 oz per meal) for lunch and dinner. I like to cook meat for my salad lunch the evening before. Cheese, nuts and seeds round out my day.

What is "dirty" meat? Road kill? Mice the cat dragged in?
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    mrswalton7 wrote: »

What is "dirty" meat? Road kill? Mice the cat dragged in?

Nop - dirty meat is when you don't have time to have the animal you are going to eat to take a bath before eating him (or her)!

• Creizian
    Creizian Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Too funny
  • samueljonahsantoso
    samueljonahsantoso Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    PRO TE IN

Am I the only one who noticed the spelling error?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    PRO TE IN

Am I the only one who noticed the spelling error?

No. The more people comment though, the more I have to see the thread title come up in my notifications and cringe at it. Thank you. (j/k)
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge meat eater so I have protein powder. Cheese, greek yogurt and eggs are also really good protein sources.
  • kimw91
    kimw91 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I don't think you need to resort straight to protein bars and powders. Just start by eating yogurt, eggs, fish (canned tuna or smoked salmon are easy options), meat/poultry (chicken breast, pork loin, steak), cottage cheese, any other cheese that fits your fit macros.
  • wmeyerbill455
    wmeyerbill455 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    TVP, Tempeh, tofu(silken), beans (all types) edamame, fish, chicken, turkey, lean beef, buffalo, soy milk, hemp milk, Eggs, egg whites, soy yogurt, yogurt, cheese, whey, seitan, pork, lamb, goat, shellfish, all kinds of fake meat substitutes, soy protein powder, whey protein powder, all kinds of body building protein drinks and nutrition drinks (just watch out for additives). It sounds like your a vegetarian, stick to the vegetable and wheat proteins and you should be fine just remember to watch your b vitamins, B12 specifically. Good Luck