What sucks about eating healthy is...

Options

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Of course it gets expensive if you let the food you buy go to waste. Stop that, eat the stuff you buy, and eating healthy is cheap. Difficult recepies will take time and skills. Make simple food, and it takes no more time or skill than convenience food.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    I actually find it very surprising that so many people mention produce going bad so quickly! I'm not sure what the difference is between the produce I buy here (I'm in Saudi Arabia, I buy only local produce if I can possibly help it) and the produce available in other countries. Maybe the produce isn't picked as ripe or something? No idea.

All of my produce lasts between two weeks to a month, depending on what it is. I can get two weeks out of tomatoes, cucumbers, cilantro, zucchini, bell peppers, eggplants, and spinach (The spinach only keeps if I strip the leaves from the stalks, put them in a tupperware container, add a paper towel under the lid, then cover it and keep in the fridge). I can get a month or more easily out of parsley, spring onions, onions, lemons/limes, iceberg lettuce, and cauliflower.

I keep all my produce in the fridge (in the veggie drawer) and I don't wash them until I use them. If I do wash them, I carefully dry them before putting them in the veggie drawer so they won't get mouldy. I line the bottom of the drawer with parchment paper, just because it makes it easier to clean, but it also seems to absorb excessive moisture.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Yes, I go to the store at least 2 times a week.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    Of course it gets expensive if you let the food you buy go to waste. Stop that, eat the stuff you buy, and eating healthy is cheap. Difficult recepies will take time and skills. Make simple food, and it takes no more time or skill than convenience food.

This :) And also, I find that when I make a rough plan for what I'm going to eat that week and buy what I need for that plan, nothing goes to waste. I don't make a very detailed one--I plan dinners only, since my husband and I have mostly the same breakfasts and lunches, then buy the "special" planned stuff for the dinners; then, I just pick up the general items that we tend to have for breakfast and lunch, like cereal, oats, peanut butter, bread, and eggs.
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Not being able to stuff my face full of poutine.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    cabbage (including the bags of preshredded coleslaw), kale, potatoes,onions, carrots,oranges (and OJ), Raisins, apples all last for quite a while, so I would start with those.

I also buy frozen veggies (in steamer bags for maximum laziness) when on sale.

I do a mid week run to the store for fresh lettuce, bread, milk, and tomatoes, because they dont keep, and we go through them quickly anyway.
  • rbee2015
    rbee2015 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Jacleepin wrote: »
    What are you buying? I buy a 2 large bags of organic power greens at Costco, a week of peppers and cucumbers, apples, bananas (yes, I struggle with keeping those good), avocados, and melons. This all keeps good for a week except I may have to have a banana run.

You can freeze bananas for smoothies, just remember to peel them before freezing.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    What are you buying? I've never had an issue with things keeping for a week unless it was kind of on it's way out when I bought it. I occasionally have trouble with my greens, but everything else seems to last just fine.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Our produce can last 2-3 weeks if we don't eat it! We normally eat it within a week though. We buy seasonal, local, organic fruit and vegies.

Cooked meat can be frozen in portions - no need to throw it out!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    ... that my body no longer tolerates greasy and/or calorie dense foods in more than minuscule quantities such as one measly chicken wing. If I try to eat a fast food burger and fries, for example, that stuff will blast through my system at warp speed, leaving me bloated and sickened for 12 hours and laying waste to the bathroom.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    ... that my body no longer tolerates greasy and/or calorie dense foods in more than minuscule quantities such as one measly chicken wing. If I try to eat a fast food burger and fries, for example, that stuff will blast through my system at warp speed, leaving me bloated and sickened for 12 hours and laying waste to the bathroom.

That's why "moderation" is a wonderful thing.... I developed so many "intolerances" and issues with food when I was a "clean eater".
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    If I had more calories to play with, I suppose I would have tried to have the occasional treat during my year long cutting phase... but as I am oldish and hypothyroid, I decided I wanted to eat greater volume with lower calories rather than the reverse. I really did not foresee this happening! :X
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    If I had more calories to play with, I suppose I would have tried to have the occasional treat during my year long cutting phase... but as I am oldish and hypothyroid, I decided I wanted to eat greater volume with lower calories rather than the reverse. I really did not foresee this happening! :X

You can get over them... All is not lost :)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I grocery shop 1/week, sometimes every other week and I rarely ever throw food away. If I do, it was my own fault for not getting to it in time. But it's extremely rare. My stuff keeps just fine. Somethings you know you have to eat sooner than later.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I'm not a Tupperware seller, but I swear by their Fridge Smarts. They are kind of pricey, but usually you can find stuff at Thrift stores on Craigslist. Even full price, I think it's worth the savings in bad produce. I've been shocked at how long stuff has lasted in it.

I also found than any produce I buy at Warehouse clubs go bad faster than if I bought it at a grocery store... not sure why.

Berries I always store in their clam-shell container upside down. I really think it helps keep them fresher longer. I'm also extremely critical of which package I choose at the store. I'm always baffled to see so many containers with rotting fruit in them. If you didn't look carefully, you'd be bringing it home and one rotting piece will accelerate the rest of them to go bad.

• crazygooselady
    crazygooselady Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    It took me about two months to get the food for me about right. So give yourself time to learn. Eat berries right away, or get frozen. Veggies in the Cole family, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, kale, tend to last well. Apples and oranges last well, just eat ones with bad spots soon or throw them out. Who!e lettuce will last longer than bagged. If stuff is looking like it will be going bad soon, change plans and cook it for dinner.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options

For me it's not being able to have beer whenever I would prefer. Good beer. Really... really good beer.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips guys! I think I just got overzealous with the first "healthy eating" shopping trip & went a little crazy. My salads & most of my fruit was bad within 2-3 days. Most of my veggies were bought frozen thankfully & then I bought a pack of 10 chicken breast that I grilled & had in Tupperware in the fridge. After weighing them I realized I was only allowed 1/2 of each chicken breast making it now 20 chicken breast I had to eat or throw away in 2-3 days! Lol. It's deff a learning experience! I've learned so much already in just a week. I won't go so crazy next time.

You can also cook and then freeze chicken breast. I cook 3-5 pounds at a time then freeze it in portioned out bags.
  • JessicaLP643
    JessicaLP643 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »

For me it's not being able to have beer whenever I would prefer. Good beer. Really... really good beer.

BEER! I was just thinking about this last night & I'm already not looking forward to this one! It hasn't been a problem so far, as I am only a social drinker a few times a month, but when I do drink I do like to get drunk. It's going to suck! :(