Why do I run faster on a treadmill than outside?

Options
2»

Replies

• rainkingire
    rainkingire Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Good topic. I always find when running outdoors it takes 1 to 2 k to get into it. Surface condition under my feet as well as the terrain and weather conditions always play a part in making it that bit tougher. Same with cycling on an exercise bike v biking on the road. Very different experience. :)
  • bnmoyler
    bnmoyler Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    MireyGal76 wrote: »
    On a treadmill, all you have to do is make sure you pick up your feet fast enough. When running out side, you need to propel yourself forward - uses more calve action as a result.

Next time you're on the treadmill, be more aware of pushing off with your feet while running. You'll see a difference.
    In that case, I'd be much faster on a treadmill.
  • kjablinskey
    kjablinskey Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I put in about 3564343743343876764 hours on the elliptical machine, so I thought I would have a pretty good jump on running outdoors.

Nope.

Hahaha!! Me too.
  • kjablinskey
    kjablinskey Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    To add onto it..the first 10 mins running outdoors tend to be the hardest, always. After that initial rough patch, it's smooth. I also find treadmil running to be easier but when I go outside, those 10 mins (compared to treadmil) are a lot harder but the key is not to stop and push through it and the rest of your run will be easier.

I find this to be the case with me too. The first mile is the hardest, after that it gets much easier.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    bnmoyler wrote: »
    So about a year and half ago, I discovered that treadmill running and outdoor running was different. While I had worked myself up to a 6.3mph on a treadmill, I could barely run 3 minutes outside. I noticed these differed as far as the muscles being used. A few months ago, I revisited outdoor running and was happy to know that I had improved and could run the same two miles I was running on the treadmill- just at a slower pace. I was running more at 5.5mph for my two mile segment. I am convinced that I will increase my speed naturally and gradually but here lately, I'm much more interested in longer distances. Has any else experienced the contrast between the two? I mean, while I go much farther distances now doing intervals, is it better or just as good as cranking up the intensity for a much shorter distance? My usual last year was 2 miles per day 4 days per week as 6.3mph on a treadmill. This year, I go to the trail and do 8 miles (intervals averaging 5-5.2 mph) for 3 days per week. The good thing about the trail is it's very hilly. I have no doubt in my mind that I have improved because I am not a runner nor have a ever been a fit person so this is big for someone like me.

What I bolded is probably the biggest difference. You'll run slower on a trail, and on hills, so throw them together, and the decrease makes sense. But you're now running per day what you used to run in a whole week, and that's major improvement, no matter the speed!