Favorite healthy breakfast recipe

Options
2»

Replies

• gigila72
    gigila72 Posts: 32 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'm looking for ideas for breakfast that I can make on the weekrndendd then just grab and go before work. Sassymama66 I think I'm going to do the jard boiled eggs next week. I have apple oatmeal muffins for this week.
  • sweatinontheeastcoast
    sweatinontheeastcoast Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I sometimes do baked oatmeal on the weekend for weekday breakfasts. Oh She Glows has a sweet potato one that is my new fave-but I do cut the sugar some as it can be kinda dessertish as written.

Also I haven't tried them yet but I keep meaning to do those muffin pan mini omelettes. I think they'd be great for weekdays and easily paired with toast/English muffin.
  • mpat81
    mpat81 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    None of these are really "recipes" but this is what i like to have. Whole wheat mini bagel with lox, capers, red onion and light cream cheese. Egg in a hole made with a little butter plus a side of fresh fruit. Apple chicken sausage and cinnamon oatmeal. Fruit and yogurt parfait. Whole grain toaster waffles with butter plus a hard boiled egg with hot sauce.
  • EricE123P
    EricE123P Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I like a protein milkshake. Made with a banana, about a cup of milk, a raw egg, and a scoop of protein powder. The shake normally keeps me full throughout the day.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    gigila72 wrote: »
    I'm looking for ideas for breakfast that I can make on the weekrndendd then just grab and go before work. Sassymama66 I think I'm going to do the jard boiled eggs next week. I have apple oatmeal muffins for this week.

Make ahead freezer breakfast sandwiches or burritos, Mcmuffins, make ahead frittata/egg muffins like these quiche cupcakes or sausage cheese and egg bake.

My personal recipe - breakfast burrito
    Sauté onion, pepper, mushroom, spinach. Chop 8 slices of turkey or center cut bacon, and crisp. Cook 8 scrambled eggs, and mix all cooled ingredients together. Lay out 8 large high fiber/low carb burritos (like La Tortilla Factory smart and delicious line or Ole Wellness High Fiber). Divide mixture amongst 8 burritos, top each with 14-28g cheese of choice, and roll into burritos, folding in the sides. Lay seam side down on cookie sheet, and freeze. Once frozen, transfer to labeled freezer bag. To serve, microwave wrapped in damp paper towel for 2-3 minutes until thawed or microwave until thawed and crisp in a pan or under the broiler. Options: add in cooked potatoes, vegetables to taste, sun dried tomatoes, jalapenos, hot sauce, or any other preferred fillings. Can substitute 2 egg whites for each whole egg.

I've been making these simple frittatas and eating 1/4 per day at 140 calories per slice. I keep swapping out the vegetables.
    frittata.jpg

• kickassbarbie
    kickassbarbie Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    My current go to breakfasts I'm loving.

-Smoked salmon, 1 whole egg two egg whites scrambled, with chopped spinach
    -Bagel with scrambled egg whites and lean bacon
    -Or if I'm in a rush/ a big meal planned for later either bran flakes and vanilla cream protein shake instead of milk. Or half a portion of museli, whatever yoghurt I have in the fridge and some waldens caramel sauce on top.
  • markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    gigila72 wrote: »

Make ahead freezer breakfast sandwiches or burritos, Mcmuffins, make ahead frittata/egg muffins like these quiche cupcakes or sausage cheese and egg bake.

My personal recipe - breakfast burrito
    Sauté onion, pepper, mushroom, spinach. Chop 8 slices of turkey or center cut bacon, and crisp. Cook 8 scrambled eggs, and mix all cooled ingredients together. Lay out 8 large high fiber/low carb burritos (like La Tortilla Factory smart and delicious line or Ole Wellness High Fiber). Divide mixture amongst 8 burritos, top each with 14-28g cheese of choice, and roll into burritos, folding in the sides. Lay seam side down on cookie sheet, and freeze. Once frozen, transfer to labeled freezer bag. To serve, microwave wrapped in damp paper towel for 2-3 minutes until thawed or microwave until thawed and crisp in a pan or under the broiler. Options: add in cooked potatoes, vegetables to taste, sun dried tomatoes, jalapenos, hot sauce, or any other preferred fillings. Can substitute 2 egg whites for each whole egg.

I've been making these simple frittatas and eating 1/4 per day at 140 calories per slice. I keep swapping out the vegetables.
    frittata.jpg

thanks for mcmuffin recipe... going to have to have a go at those
  • scratchdesk
    scratchdesk Posts: 18 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I've been doing PB&J Overnight Oats. Easy for a quick escape in the morning and good to eat cold. I'll usually pair it with a Quest bar, some String Cheese or something else. Plus my coffee!

1.00 tsp(s), Sugar White, by Cup
    0.32 cup, Quaker Quick Oats
    0.50 cup(s), Almond Milk Unsweetened
    .5 tbsp Chia Seeds

Add these in the morning before I leave and after shaking up the oatmeal:
    1.00 Tbsp (32g), Organic Peanut Butter Crunchy Salted
    1.00 tbsp (17g), Sugar Free Strawberry Jelly
    20.00 grams, Protein Granola Dark Chocolate (12-2-14 Cac Edit)
  • ThatLadyFromMN
    ThatLadyFromMN Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I have barely any imagination for breakfast so this thread is very helpful. :) I just put 3 tbsp. of malt o meal, 1 tbsp. ground flax seed and 1 tbsp. light brown sugar in a mason jar, when I get to work I use the hot water function on the coffee machine stir and wait 10 minutes and then voila! :) Otherwise I take a baggie of Raisin Bran Crunch and a mason jar of milk (probably not that healthy though). I also throw some ice cubes, almond milk, a banana and 2 tbsp. of skippy natural peanut butter into the blender and there's my breakfast smoothie. :) I really have to rush in the morning which is why there's nothing too extensive in my breakfasts.
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I love green thickie smoothies in the morning. There are so many variations I dont get bored.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    All of them! Breakfast is my favourite meal of the day. This morning I microwaved 1/3 cup large flake oatmeal with a tablespoon of powdered milk, a tablespoon of currants, and a cup of water. When done I ate it with a half cup yogurt. I had two tablespoons of pumpkin seeds on the side.
  • mccraee
    mccraee Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    this week I'm trying to eat more veggies so I made a frittata. I should get 4 breakfasts out of it
    in a 10" no stick skillet:
    1/2 sweet onion diced sauted in 1t butter
    add and cook till soft 1 yellow summer squash diced
    then, fill the skillet w/ spinach and wilt it.
    add 8 eggs beaten and immediately take it off the heat
    bake 300 degrees for 30 minutes. cut into 4 big wedges.
  • madelinecroteau
    madelinecroteau Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I like to make coconut flour pancakes, egg white French toast, egg muffins and overnight oats!

Egg muffins:
    (Makes 6 - approx. 103 calories each)
    5 eggs
    6 slices of pre-cooked bacon
    Desired veggies (I used green pepper and red onion)
    1/4 of milk (I used unsweetened coconut milk)

- Preheat oven to 400°F
    - Line baking muffin tray with bacon strips
    - Mix 5 eggs in a bowl with milk
    - Pour eggs into the muffin tray space
    - Place chopped up veggies into the egg mixtures
    - Place in the oven for 18-20 minutes

I store them in the fridge and they are quick and easy to make, plus you can grab-and-go in the morning! WIN WIN!
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Don't feel like you have to eat breakfast if it's not your thing.