Aversion to Veg

Options
I've been back on MFP for a week. I came back because I'm currently doing a weight loss nutrition course through my gym.

I've already lost a stone which I am delighted with but my food diary wasn't as accurate as this can be.

But anyway, here's my issue, I cannot stand veg and I am really wanting to get over this because it's the biggie.

I've been trying to boil, grill, steam and eat raw a variety of veg and yet I cannot find something that works for me.

I refuse to assume that I'm never going to like veg but it's getting me very down given the other positive steps I've taken including getting my portions under control.

How would you suggest I resolve this issue?

Replies

• daaaaaanielle
    daaaaaanielle Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be seasoning! Lots and lots of seasoning. I'm not a big fan of veg but I've found seasoning makes it easier.

Depending on what seasonings you enjoy, particularly sauces, you may want to track these in MFP because calories in seasonings can add up. It's finicky and annoying to do but if you don't want to lose momentum with your weight loss, the best way is to be as accurate as you can. Some people opt to leave a bit of headroom for their calorie goal to account for little things like seasoning, taste testing while cooking, etc of 50 or 100 calories so if you can't be bothered measuring them, try aim for your overall calories to come in under and you should be fine. :)
  • SkinnyMiss053
    SkinnyMiss053 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I can't stand it either. No matter how it's prepared it makes me gag. The only veg I can eat is onions and potatoes and corn.

But I still eat a huge bowl of veg every day. Maybe even two because of the low calories and the volume.

My method might be a bit childish, but it gets the veg in my body. I save all the best tasting things for last, and then...

Are you ready?...

I pinch my nose shut and shovel in the veg like there's no tomorrow. It works just like a cold when your nose is blocked, you don't taste anything! Just make sure to keep it shut until after swallowing otherwise the taste will come back.
  • kramrn77
    kramrn77 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    That makes me laugh! Hard!

I find that if you just keep eating something, you learn to enjoy it. Either that or your tastebuds just roll over and give up. I used to hate cauliflower and Brussels sprouts, but now find them quite nice when I roast them (not big on boiling as I don't like the texture and it releases the sulfur.) I tend to roast most of my veggies with olive oil and salt now. Maybe some paprika as well.
  • SkinnyMiss053
    SkinnyMiss053 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    kramrn77 wrote: »
    That makes me laugh! Hard!

Yeah my mom often thinks there's something wrong with me for doing that. But hey, at least I put my big girl pants on and just eat it any way I can. :wink: because it's good for me.
  • kramrn77
    kramrn77 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Damn skippy! Now that's how to woman up! :smiley:
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,699 Member
    Options
    It does add fat, but have you tried stir frying or roasting?
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,119 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to boil, grill, steam and eat raw a variety of veg and yet I cannot find something that works for me.

What have you tried, and what don't you like about each one?

Personally, veggies are one of my most favourite things about a meal. However, I don't like peppers. I can tolerate red and yellow peppers, but not the green peppers. For me, it is the flavour and the fact that I end up burping and regurgitating them for hours after. I get to experience that flavour for a long, long time.

But I don't have that reaction to other veg.

• KingoftheLilies
    KingoftheLilies Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat veg plain, I've learnt to like it but I still don't often eat veg plain. I usually mix my veggies into whatever I'm cooking somehow, so there's sauce on it.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    you're not 4 anymore. Do you really think that you should be told to "just try one more bite?" As you will be told on here basically?
  • bunsen_honeydew
    bunsen_honeydew Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Roast with a bit of oil, salt and herbs. Or fry with a bit of oil and garlic. I think I could probably eat anything fried in oil and garlic, even bok choy.

Or fry it with some oil and chopped up bacon. Mmmmm bacon.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I don't like most vegetables, either. It's a texture thing for me - most cooked veggies make me gag, no matter how hard I try, or how many times I try.

So I eat the ones I do like raw and take a multi-vit to help round things out. It's working for me.
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    What do you like-sweet or salty tastes? I eat soem veggies with balsamic vinegar, or rice vinegar and salt...a bit of tang and crunch (like cucumbers or tomatoes). I love veggies though-the more green stuff, the better. But, I do put vinegar on them :) haha
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Oh, you could put brown sugar or honey on carrots too :) Try using a tiny bit of sesame oil, and ginger to stir fry up some mixed veggies.
  • squishycatmew
    squishycatmew Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Garlic and other herbs/spices. Use a little oil and roast or sauté. Add them to whatever else you're eating - incorporate them into a sauce or a soup. If it's a texture thing you could puree said sauce or soup. Don't overcook your veggies - never boil, only parboil, steam, or braise. Soft but not mushy, and some things are honestly better with a little bit of snap to them. Try to find recipes that have flavors you like in them. Try eating, say, raw carrot and cucumber with hummus, instead of pita, or something like that. You don't have to like every vegetable. (Btw corn and potatoes aren't really veggies, they're starch sources. Corn is literally a grain.)
  • JenD1066
    JenD1066 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    1. Dip in tempura batter.
    2. Deep fry.
    3. Apply ranch dressing.
  • musicandarts
    musicandarts Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Like most aversions, dislike of veggies is a habit acquired during childhood. This too can be overcome by will power and some ingenuity. By the way, breaded deep-fried vegetables are not exactly vegetables. A smaller quantity of raw, or lightly steamed veggies are far better than a lot of deep-fried veggies. Most nutrients in vegetables do not survive the extreme heat involved in frying.

My suggestions is to try out fresh salads with different types of salad dressings. I like my pear/spring mix/gorgonzola salad with light raspberry vinaigrette. Or, a spring mix/corn/cilantro/veggie meat crumbles/grape tomatoes/mexican cheese with lite salsa ranch dressing. For dressings, I use either Litehouse or Marzetti brands.
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    you're not 4 anymore. Do you really think that you should be told to "just try one more bite?" As you will be told on here basically?

How old you are has ZERO to do with what you can tolerate eating. Ever heard of hypertaste? Aversions to certain food textures?

It's entirely possible to get the same vitamins, nutrients, and fiber from supplements if you can't tolerate veggies. Or, you can go the route I have and find recipes (there are tons of them out there) that essentially "hide" vegetables where not even *I* can detect them.

Good luck!
  • Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'm with you on your efforts, the more veggies the better!
    I eat way more veggies than any vegan or vegetarian i know, and I eat them ALL DAY:
    Stir fry for breakfast ...just chop up non-starchy vegetables and GREENS! Use a T of ghee or refined coconut oil, and put the finely chopped veggies in a hot skillet. Stir it around, add some salt, then put the cover on it for a few minutes to allow the steam to soften the greens a bit. Then remove the cover and stir-fry until the greens get crispy-chewy and the onions get carmelized. You'll love the smell and taste. Add seafood to that meal.

For lunch, put greens into a protein smoothie: parsley or kale are my current favs. In a high powered blender, put ice and water, parsley, vanilla protein powder (I prefer pea protein), a teaspoon of maca powder, 2T cacao powder, stevia powder to sweeten, and toss in a few roasted hazelnuts. Blend it up and drink it as a snack, or eat a chopped salad with it.

For dinner, make a small batch of vegetable soup and eat along with a side of lentils or black beans and meat of your choice.

By the way, did you know you get new tastebuds every 2 weeks? Yep, If you swap out your old eating patterns today, within 2 weeks you'll have a WHOLE NEW SET OF TASTEBUDS that have been acclimated to fully taste all the foods you are eating. Your food will taste better as that time passes.

If you ate like that, I wonder how you would look and feel in 2 weeks....?????
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options

How old you are has ZERO to do with what you can tolerate eating. Ever heard of hypertaste? Aversions to certain food textures?

It's entirely possible to get the same vitamins, nutrients, and fiber from supplements if you can't tolerate veggies. Or, you can go the route I have and find recipes (there are tons of them out there) that essentially "hide" vegetables where not even *I* can detect them.

Good luck!

Greek yogurt was a texture thing for me, too. Along with protein shakes. *shrug* But, I did it, adapted, and like now.

Kudos to OP though for making a valid effort to find a way to acquire proper nutrition!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Do you have three vegetables that you like? Eat those.