TOTM starting anyday... And

i have only started healthy eating 2 weeks ago, I've lost 5lbs so far, my period is due any day now and I've been reading posts on here about weight gain with periods? It's worrying me now, I havnt seemed to put weight on yet, but will I? Should I just weigh myself as usual? I really don't want to think I've put weight on, I'd be so devastated, I'll never give up though. Does that happen to every woman? I'm new to this all and would never of known before so thanks and I'm glad I know now.

Replies

• BigMamaLynsey
    BigMamaLynsey Posts: 390 Member
    It's brilliant being a woman haha, i weighed yesterday, wish it would hurry and start so I can get it over with, I usually step on the scales everyday just to make sure I have gained anything lol. I'm so paranoid, but soooo glad I know this now rather than find out the hard way
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Weigh yourself as usual. The weight gain during TOM is temporary water increases, etc. I retain water when I ovulate too. Just understand it's a normal temporary fluctuation.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    I would worry. It's just water. Weight loss is not linear. It will go up and down from day to day. As long as your under maintenance, it'll be mostly water intake/retention and food/poop giving you the up and down readings. Measure yourself once a month (not during "shark week", though :wink: ). I think that body measurements are more important than body weight. You want to see a downward trend in both, but I put my body measurements ahead of weight.
  • BigMamaLynsey
    Yes was thinking just to weigh as usual, I'll just not stick down what I gain during period, if I gain. As it's not real weight
  • BigMamaLynsey
    I feel much better about it now thanks ladies
  • BigMamaLynsey
  • BigMamaLynsey
    My smilies arnt showing up lol
  • TinaBaily
    TinaBaily Posts: 792 Member
    Many women will show a temporary water retention gain when TOM comes to visit. I'm one of them. I have had months when exercising like a demon when I have not seen that water retention, so how much sodium you ingest, how much water you drink, and how much and how hard you exercise all factor into that. My biggest suggestion is to NOT WORRY about any "gain" you may see just before, or during, TOM. It is almost assuredly just water retention and nothing to be alarmed about. If you're like me, and seeing the number go up makes you worry, try not to step on the scale for the first few days of TOM. My body shows a gain for the first days, then the water retention goes away by day 4. But, that's just me, and my body seems weird.

If you've lost 5 lbs in 2 weeks, you are off to a great start. Make sure you eat enough calories, drink lots of water (helps your body a lot, as well as helping to keep your stomach from rumbling too much sometimes), exercise, and eat plenty of vegetables, fruits, whole grains and, if you aren't vegetarian, lean meats. Treats are acceptable as long as they fit your macros. Best of luck to you, and may you reach your goal!

Ninkyou, I'm so glad you mentioned seeing water retention during ovulation!! I NEVER have put that together before, as being related to hormone fluctuations at that time! I do feel sick to my stomach sometimes around ovulation, much like suffering from morning sickness, though, but never realized the unexplained "gain" I notice around that time was also related. Isn't being female a fascinating and sometimes frustrating experience? :smile:
  • lcooper327
    lcooper327 Posts: 112 Member
    You said something about weighing yourself everyday to make sure you haven't gained anything. Keep in mind that weight loss isn't linear. So your weight will not always go down and it can fluctuate but that doesn't alway mean you aren't making progress.
  • BigMamaLynsey
    @TinaBaily thanks! I think I eat enough, I get a little hungry sometimes in between meals but not enough to make me eat bad stuff, I seem to be coping well with my routine, the water intake I get is quite bad though, I barely drink anything during the day, probably a cupful worth. So bad I know lol. I am trying, sort off :# yes being female is definately fascinating but periods are horrible! Agh well it's life, it's there for a reason so I'm happy enough lol. Have a great day! :)
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited May 2015
    I never weigh myself at the TOTM, as it'll probably show that you've gained :# and this won't be your correct weight.
    I would weigh a few days AFTER, so there's no disappointments.
    I know sometimes you just want to step on the scale, but i've learnt that it's best to wait a few more days.
  • BigMamaLynsey
    @lcooper327 yes I do, I read something about its supposed to help you keep progress with your weigh, I usually maintain for a few days then I see it start to drop, if I started putting weight on when I'm NOT on my period, then I guess it's down to water weight or I've eat silly things I shouldn't. Seems to be helping Me keep track so far. Should look it up on google, really didn't know it was supposed to help lol. No harm in it. I'm just abit obsessive with the scales which probably doesn't help me though
  • BigMamaLynsey
    @ExRelaySprinter I shall try! See if I can manage few days of the scales haha :p
  • shaunte92
    shaunte92 Posts: 127 Member
    If you think seeing a higher number on the scale will dishearten you, don't do it. Chances are you will see a fluctuation like most women. However you shouldn't fear this as it's not an actual gain in fat, and most likely just water retention. I think it's cool to get acquainted with your body & to know its fluctuations, so I don't see the harm with weighing in just so you can get an idea of how much the number does in fact fluctuate ... Even though essentially it is unimportant.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    i have only started healthy eating 2 weeks ago, I've lost 5lbs so far, my period is due any day now and I've been reading posts on here about weight gain with periods? It's worrying me now, I havnt seemed to put weight on yet, but will I? Should I just weigh myself as usual? I really don't want to think I've put weight on, I'd be so devastated, I'll never give up though. Does that happen to every woman? I'm new to this all and would never of known before so thanks and I'm glad I know now.

Well, even if you do put on weight, it will only be water weight and not fat as long as you're still eating at a deficit during that time. Not a big deal.

• BigMamaLynsey
    Thanks guys for replying! This really answered the question for me and made me feel a lot better!
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Heartisalonelyhunter Posts: 786 Member
    Personally I lose at TOTM. I know some other women do too. So the only way to find out if you gain/loss/stay the same at that time is to weigh yourself for a few months and notice the pattern.
  • BigMamaLynsey
    @Heartisalonelyhunter hi, thanks I will do, great idea, never thought to track every month :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Please realise the difference between scale weight ...which is made up of water weight, Lean body tissue and body fat

And just body fat

When we lose weight we look to lose body fat

Fluctuations in water weight of up to 10lbs are natural and can happen as a result of change up in exercise (water for muscle repair), sodium in diet and hormones (yes ovulation and period). In addition you can play with carb intake to reduce glycogen stores and hence water weight

Do not bother about fluctuations in water weight ...keep doing the right things and your body fat will reduce over time

Apps like Libra and sites like trendweight can give you trend lines which help even out the fluctuations ...personally I love tracking fluctuations ...interesting