Need help to shred

Options
2»

Replies

• SarahSloth342634
    SarahSloth342634 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    nikipb1 Hi, I'm 5.3 and same weight as you, also had kids recently and have forgotten how to diet! I am doing the belly blitz diet which focuses on around 1400 cals a day which is working well.
  • nikipb1
    nikipb1 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    jeffpettis wrote: »
    If anyone ever tells you you won't be hungry from time to time while in a deficit they are lying to you. The simple fact is you are in essence depriving your body of food, not that you are starving your body by any means, but your body is used to consuming more calories and that is exactly why it starts to store fat to begin with. While in a deficit the goal is to do everything you possibly can to maintain lean muscle tissue, lift weights, and force the body to use the stored fat for energy. Since the body does not store protein it is important to still eat enough protein to maintain lean muscle tissue while in a deficit.

As far as eating at maintenance every so often, the only thing it is going to do is maybe keep you sane by allowing you to eat a little more. The problem with this is that some people will binge because they don't have the will power not to and will end up erasing a weekly deficit in one "cheat day". As far as "resetting" or "boosting" your metabolism or whatever else they call it now, if you are doing everything right, meaning only being in a moderate deficit to begin with you don't need to do anything special to "boost" your metabolism. Having said all that it won't hurt to eat at maintenance but it isn't going to do anything "magical" to your metabolism either.

Thank u Jeff ur advice has been amazing. How much protein should I be taking in. I went a 45 min moderate swim today and Il lifting some small weights tonight. I'm taking phd diet whey protein but only after I train. My problem is that because I'm so busy and have a kid I sometimes forget to eat, I have 845 calories left and it's 7am here in Scotland. I've already had my dinner!! I'm also aware not eating enough isn't going to get me a ripped torso...
  • nikipb1
    Options
    Yes ur right. I need to plan my meals better. sometimes I miss lunch because we r up so early with my little girl and we have maybe went to the park and when we come home we nap, sometimes when I wake I have time to make her lunch but I'm either not hungry or its a strange time in between lunch and dinner. Diet whey because I want to shred, it's just something I was advised on and still gives me protein
  • nikipb1
    Options
    It's not meal replacement. It's a protein shake u take after training
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    There is no such have thing as diet whey. Whey is whey..... It's not magical! It will increase your protein intake if you don't eat enough in normal food. If you struggle to eat your calories, make a smoothie with your whey, fruit, some greens if you like, avocado or nut butter. It would be easier for you to drink than eat by the sounds of it!

Getting a "ripped" torso is all about calorie deficit... So eating less will make you lose fat. Eating that little isn't fun or great for your health or for maintaining lean muscle...
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I just looked that product up - you'd be better off buying straight WPI and a carnitine supplement of you want the benefits of carnitine....
  • nikipb1
    Options
    There is no such have thing as diet whey. Whey is whey..... It's not magical! It will increase your protein intake if you don't eat enough in normal food. If you struggle to eat your calories, make a smoothie with your whey, fruit, some greens if you like, avocado or nut butter. It would be easier for you to drink than eat by the sounds of it!

Getting a "ripped" torso is all about calorie deficit... So eating less will make you lose fat. Eating that little isn't fun or great for your health or for maintaining lean muscle...

Ur so perfectly right. I'd find it much easier to drink. I have a smoothie maker so that's fab! All I need now is the ingredients. I seem to be fine on 1500 calories and if I'm below one day I tend to make up for it the next
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    sfelenczak wrote: »
    Make sure to eat above your calorie maintenance every 7-10 days to keep your metabolic rate from dropping and to reset leptin levels

um, no...
  • dieselbyte
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    nikipb1 wrote: »

I never said it was a meal replacement. I'm saying Diet Whey is just a marketing ploy.

So much derp here bro...
  • dieselbyte
    Options
    Ha!
  • nikipb1
    Options
    dieselbyte wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »

I never said it was a meal replacement. I'm saying Diet Whey is just a marketing ploy.

So much derp here bro...

What you guys on about here?!
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Make sure to eat above your calorie maintenance every 7-10 days to keep your metabolic rate from dropping and to reset leptin levels

um, no...

Huh? Why would you disagree with this, especially when she is low carb and her bodyfat is already pretty low?
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    richln wrote: »

um, no...
    Huh? Why would you disagree with this, especially when she is low carb and her bodyfat is already pretty low?

Did she say what her body fat % is? You can be underweight and have a relatively high body fat %.

OP, I would recommend that you eat at maintenance level, and get on a good progressive strength training program if you want to lower your body fat % in order to see your abs. 118 pounds is thin enough for your height. Don't worry about the number on the scale.

• dieselbyte
    Options
    richln wrote: »

um, no...

As stated by @deksgrl - OP never stated her bf%. Never stated her training regimen. Leptin levels don't need to be "reset" every week, especially in the initial stages of a caloric deficit. Leptin levels will play a role at much lower bf% levels and much longer into a deficit. Metabolic rate will drop when weight is lost. Eating at maintenance won't "keep it from dropping". Move more to increase metabolism. TEFF plays a minimal role. @deksgrl is correct. A recomp and heavy lifting makes more sense. Without a training plan, OP's weight loss will result in more of a skinny fat look.
  • nikipb1
    Options
    To save argument my body fat percentage is 23.3% body fat mass 12.5kg I'm 28 5ft 4.6. I swim twice a week and at the moment do strength training at home (fitness blender strength training). I'm looking to start body pump class, but remember everybody I've only been at this a week lol
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    To save argument my body fat percentage is 23.3% body fat mass 12.5kg I'm 28 5ft 4.6. I swim twice a week and at the moment do strength training at home (fitness blender strength training). I'm looking to start body pump class, but remember everybody I've only been at this a week lol

Ahh... looks like I skimmed the thread too fast and filled in all the details myself. Yeah, you sound like a good candidate for a recomp. Don't let all that cardio distract you from heavy lifting.