when your burning stored fat

Options
So I was reading an article and they say you dont start burning the stored fat till after the first 30 minutes into a work out thought I would share in case any ine else was interested

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    This sounds extremely questionable.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    That's completely wrong. Find better reading material.
  • jessicatombari
    jessicatombari Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    That's completely wrong.

agreed! So many factors come into play here.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    Depends on your glycogen storage level. Some could go well past 30 minutes and not use fat stores.
    Do you know when you burn the most fat? A night or time when you are sleeping. Truth.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    You read the article wrong.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    When my burning stored fat what?
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    seems legit
  • Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    As far as I know, the body goes through cycles of burning and storing fat all day long. Not sure how much that can be influenced.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    tazbillie wrote: »
    So I was reading an article and they say you dont start burning the stored fat till after the first 30 minutes into a work out thought I would share in case any ine else was interested

If you're trying to reduce bodyfat, it's irrelevant how long the sessions are. All activities burn calories, which contributes to your calorie deficit. In fact you don't need to do any exercise to burn body fat.

• tkjerner
    tkjerner Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I actually think most of the fat burning happens in the days following the practice. When using muscles there are slightly damaged and needs to be rebuild/grow and that takes time and it costs energy. This is why its important to relax and get a good nights sleep when loosing weight.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    The fat you burn during exercise has no effect on stored body fat, so the discussion is meaningless.
  • tazbillie
    tazbillie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input on what I read I do like the feed back
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    The fat you burn during exercise has no effect on stored body fat, so the discussion is meaningless.

Please explain what happens?
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I read yesterday that when doing intermittent fasting (16:8) you're supposed to do eight minutes of high-intensity exercise right at the end of the fasting period and this triggers some kind of incredible fat burning process that carries on for hours. I never heard anyone mention that before. I wonder if there's anything in it.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I read yesterday that when doing intermittent fasting (16:8) you're supposed to do eight minutes of high-intensity exercise right at the end of the fasting period and this triggers some kind of incredible fat burning process that carries on for hours. I never heard anyone mention that before. I wonder if there's anything in it.

No truth to that.

Even if there were truth to it? Let's put it this way. I 18:6. When 18 is up? I want to eat, not do eight minutes of high intensity exercise.

Eight minutes. So random. Why eight? Why not seven? Or nine? Or 14?

• lecoman
    lecoman Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    All I know is that I have been keeping about 400-500 beneath my calorie goal (500 cal deficit/day) and in the last 18 weeks or so I have lost about 36 pounds. So the math seems about right. The fat seems to have turned into CO2, water and energy. Thermodynamics, not just a good idea, it's the law.
  • Lizadizzle
    Lizadizzle Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    lecoman wrote: »
    All I know is that I have been keeping about 400-500 beneath my calorie goal (500 cal deficit/day) and in the last 18 weeks or so I have lost about 36 pounds. So the math seems about right. The fat seems to have turned into CO2, water and energy. Thermodynamics, not just a good idea, it's the law.

This. That's almost exactly what I've been doing and I've been dropping between 2 and 2.5 a week.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

Then what's the point of exercising if not to burn stored body fat?

or are you talking about "fat loss happens in the kitchen, not the gym" ?
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options

Then what's the point of exercising if not to burn stored body fat?

Brief physiology lesson: Your body uses 2 types of fuel during exercise - fat and carbohydrates. The ratio of fat to carbs depends on the intensity & duration. He's saying it's irrelevant what that ratio is, because both fuels contribute to the calorie deficit that leads to long-term fat loss. In other words, what matters is the number of calories burned during exercise, not the type of calories. Makes sense?