Views on corn?

Options
jwolford90
jwolford90 Posts: 43 Member
I've heard mixed reviews about corn. I have no idea what to believe. I follow a 1200 calorie diet but I had a major craving today and ate two cans of corn (yes I was THAT hungry lol). I am still under my daily calories but should I avoid splurging on that in the future? I assumed eating corn was a healthier substitute than eating a sandwich, breads, etc.

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Corn is a little higher in carbs than most veg but other than that, I can't imagine why you'd have been warned off?
  • jwolford90
    Options
    Due to the higher carb count. Sorry for not saying why I was warned from it lol
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I agree with the French on this one.... Corn is fed to cows to make them fat....
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    is there any reason your avoiding carbs or going low carb or whatever you want to call it?

edit:
    kmsy0wx6vmlu.jpg
    th.jpg 20.8K
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm missing something but isn't 1200 calories/day a bit low for a 25 year old guy?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    there is nothing wrong with corn, it is delicious…

also, why is a 25 year old male eating 1200 calories a day????

if you are that hungry that is probably a signal that you are not eating enough. Let me guess you have eliminated a bunch of foods that you view as "bad" like ice cream, bread, pasta, etc…???
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm missing something but isn't 1200 calories/day a bit low for a 25 year old guy?

This.

And to answer your question, corn is not worth it for me. But it's great and if you want it, that's great too.
  • Wenchiness
    Wenchiness Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Unless you're diabetic, if you like corn eat it. If you are diabetic, measure your portion and eat it. But please, please, eat it from the cob, tub packed in water, or frozen, not canned. You're likely going to be 4 lbs heavier tomorrow from all the sodium
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    jwolford90 wrote: »
    I've heard mixed reviews about corn. I have no idea what to believe. I follow a 1200 calorie diet but I had a major craving today and ate two cans of corn (yes I was THAT hungry lol). I am still under my daily calories but should I avoid splurging on that in the future? I assumed eating corn was a healthier substitute than eating a sandwich, breads, etc.

Why? Seriously Why? That's typically the minimum recommend for women. Are you short or something? Even then you'd have to be short and do close to nothing all day. If your even remotely active, then you probably need more than that (I'm pretty sure you need more).
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    i honestly eat corn almost every day and im not dead yet
  • jwolford90
    Options
    Most sites that I see recommend 1200, so that's what I've been following. No need for condescending comments lol. I do appreciate the concern though. I will look into the proper amount. Also, thanks for the input on the corn ^_^
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Did you put your stats into MFP? Because I guarantee you that it would not give you 1200 calories.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    1200 is the recommended minimum intake for an average height woman. As a dude, you automatically should be eating more. I missed that the first time around.

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I like corn, but I need to limit it because I am eating with a reduced carb diet due to T2 diabetes. I do add it to things like my quinoa chicken chili and when it is sweet corn season (mid July through mid August around here) I do make space for a few ears with plenty of butter. Yummy!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Unless you have medical issues with corn (allergy, bowel irritation), enjoy your corn. If you like it, eat it. Corn's no more a "bad" food than sugar, bread, pasta, rice, or any other carb/grain. I'm probably biased because I'm from Iowa though.
  • pili90
    pili90 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    If corn was bad, how come three big ancient cultures in America had it as a major part of their diet? Even now most Latin American countries have corn as a basic ingridient to many preparations....Corn could rule the world if you only let it....

Corn isn't bad, most people have commented on that, but I would avoid the canned version, if you can enjoy a frozen one, or even better.... fresh of the cob.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    My view on corn is I like it dipped in melted butter, and sprinkled with seasoning salt, white pepper, and Parmesan.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    My view on corn is I like it dipped in melted butter, and sprinkled with seasoning salt, white pepper, and Parmesan.

No, no, no!!!! Dipped in melted butter, yes but then all it needs is a little plain salt and pepper. Anything else destroys the flavor of a good ear of sweet corn.

• mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    jwolford90 wrote: »
    Most sites that I see recommend 1200, so that's what I've been following. No need for condescending comments lol. I do appreciate the concern though. I will look into the proper amount. Also, thanks for the input on the corn ^_^

As a heads up op, the posters aren't being condescending, they're worried, and with good reason. Unless you're under 5ft tall and barely move, 1200Cal a day is not a good idea for any male.

And corn is delicious, but as someone else mentioned above, the canned stuff is full of sodium normally, so I'd go for a different option if you can't keep your mouth from devouring it :)
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

No, no, no!!!! Dipped in melted butter, yes but then all it needs is a little plain salt and pepper. Anything else destroys the flavor of a good ear of sweet corn.

Out fall carnival makes this awesome roasted corn with all these condiments out and I did that a few years ago, it was soooo good!! Lol

I know people that put mayo on it. No no no!