soda

Options
So just recently I gave up pop. My doctor put me on a medicine that makes pop taste gross. I would drink like 4-6 mt dews a day. I just started working out at well. When should I start seeing the effects of quitting soda?

Replies

• Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Why do you think there will be any kind of effects from quitting soda? I drink diet coke and last summer I cut it out for a few months, nothing magical happened :)

eta: if you're cutting out regular calorie soda then yes it will help free up some calories, is that what you mean?
  • Charliegottheruns
    Charliegottheruns Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I would have asked the doctor that put you on medicine that makes pop taste gross.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    If you're lowering your calories by not drinking soda, then the weight would come off the same as it would if you cut out something else instead. If you're replacing soda calories with something else, then cutting out soda alone won't make a difference unless you're controlling your overall calories. Personally, on a 1500 calorie diet, I'd like as many of those calories to be actual food as possible, or I'll just wind up starving, which is why I hardly drink any soda anymore.
  • mandi1029
    mandi1029 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I don't plan on replacing those calories, that's why I gained weight in the first place, drinking and maybe some snacking. I was asking meaning if I would lose some weight?
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    what effects do you think youll see?

its not like that cartoon commercial, i can tell you that much

i stopped drinking full calorie sodas last year and it made no difference to my weight. none. zilch. nada.

LOL
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    mandi1029 wrote: »
    I don't plan on replacing those calories, that's why I gained weight in the first place, drinking and maybe some snacking. I was asking meaning if I would lose some weight?

I went from drinking 5-6 coke's a day to drinking a few sips with dinner. I lost 20 pounds my first month, but I was pretty overweight. Is that the type of answer you're looking for?
  • mandi1029
    Options
    Yah I just wanted to know what others went through. I'm not looking for a miracle, just reviews.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    A can of Mountain Dew is 170 calories, meaning you've cut out between 680 and 1020 calories a day. You will lose weight as long as you're eating less than your maintenance.
  • mandi1029
    Options
    And lots of sugar!!! :)
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    When should I start seeing the effects of quitting soda?

What effects are you expecting to see?
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

i stopped drinking full calorie sodas last year and it made no difference to my weight. none. zilch. nada.

LOL
    What cartoon commercial?
  • hobbeskastiel
    hobbeskastiel Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    A 12 oz can of Mt Dew has 170 cal. So you were drinking between 680-1020 calories a day. If you were maintaining a specific weight while drinking all these calories then you should lose weight just by not drinking it. If you have other sugar related issues it will take about a week to flush it out of your system. I used to get headaches when I cut out the sugar cold turkey. These days I balance what I eat and drink much better so no headaches.
  • hobbeskastiel
    hobbeskastiel Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    A can of Mountain Dew is 170 calories, meaning you've cut out between 680 and 1020 calories a day. You will lose weight as long as you're eating less than your maintenance.
    Ha, i didn't even read your post and I wrote the same dang thing. Opps.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options

LOL
    What cartoon commercial?

i dont know what its for but theres a cartoon commercial about a couple who stops drinking soda and the husband loses all this weight and the wife nothing.

so i guess, as long as youre the wife, it is accurate (for me LOL)
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

LOL
    What cartoon commercial?

i dont know what its for but theres a cartoon commercial about a couple who stops drinking soda and the husband loses all this weight and the wife nothing.

Well that's silly.
  • 85kurtz
    85kurtz Posts: 276 Member
    Options

I think this differs with the individual. I used to dink Pepsi until I swapped it for water and lemon juice. That was the only sweet thing I had, I didn't replace the Pepsi with other sweet foods so I did lose weight. About 1 kilo/week.

• geotrice
    geotrice Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Prepare to be a little tired, grumpy, anxious and possible have headaches because. They go away. It's not so much the sugar but also the caffeine that you're not injesting.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I'm just curious. Is the medicine strictly to make pop taste gross or is that just a random side effect? It doesn't really matter, I was just wondering. :smile:
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options

LOL
    What cartoon commercial?

I think it is for some woman's weight loss drug like alli or what not. Too funny! Ridiculous!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    geotrice wrote: »
    Prepare to be a little tired, grumpy, anxious and possible have headaches because. They go away. It's not so much the sugar but also the caffeine that you're not injesting.

4-6 Mountain Dews a day is a lot of caffeine. If you get withdrawal symptoms and don't want to treat them with coffee, buy a pack of caffeine pills and taper down with them. I started with 2 a day, then 1-1/2, then 1, and finally 1/2. It took me about 4 weeks to get over the withdrawals.