Working out before or after breakfast?

Options
what does everyone do?

Replies

• cfp1981
    cfp1981 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    A bit of both, depending on my work schedule and whatever else I have going on that day.
  • Ameythist
    Ameythist Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I usually work out after a light breakfast (protein bar and a banana usually) and then have a small snack when I get back, like an orange or a string cheese.
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    First off - congrats on the weight loss you look amazing. I workout late afternoon - if my body cooperated more in the morning, I would say B4 breakfast - but I would have a pre-workout snack prior to the workout - then workout - then post-workout drink and breakfast - if I were to do it that way.

Anyway - congrats on the weight loss. You look great and I am sure you feel great too.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    what does everyone do?

Everyone's different. Whatever answer you want to hear, you'll hear.

• BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Occasionally, I will do fasted cardio, but take some amino acids before/during the exercise. Typically, I will have some protein and carbs beforehand because I tend to get light-headed when lifting if I do it without food in me. Not much spoils my lifting more than feeling like that. So I try to keep it consistent (food/lifting, fasting/cardio if in morning). Sometimes I do cardio at night and just don't worry about what I have ahead of time.
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I workout after dinner after the kids are in bed for the night.
  • geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    Generally after breakfast. Could not force myself to get up extra early to eat and then exercise before work, when I was working. Not gonna try now that I have time. So I eat take my time; an hour or so later I am ready to get out, go to Y and git 'er done. Sonetimes that's closer to lunch and causes me to have it later, but I don't mind. Then the rest of the day is mine.
  • vaporhockey83
    vaporhockey83 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I usually do a protein shake before the workout and eat a "breakfast" after.
  • healthymelisa
    healthymelisa Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    My body don't like me working out in the morning. I work out in the evenings.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,368 Member
    Options
    Before... considering I work out about 10 mins after I roll out of bed, and I don't eat until after I'm at my desk at work, which is more than 3 hours later.
  • Ocrgrrrl
    Ocrgrrrl Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I workout before breakfast since I get up before 4 am to get it done before work. I lift and my body has gotten used to lifting heavy without fuel in the tank. I always chug some pre-workout before, and on days when I feel weak or shaky I might add some BCAAs/glutamine to avoid catabolism. I have been making good progress on my lifts so it seems to work for me, but then again I hold onto muscle easily--I know others may not be able to do this. Depends on your body type I suppose.
  • cfp1981
    cfp1981 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I lift and my body has gotten used to lifting heavy without fuel in the tank.

This. I think alot of people think something bad will happen if you lift / train on an empty or near empty stomach. Those same people might be surprised that you will probably cope just fine. I've set plenty of PRs during lifting sessions where I haven't had anything to eat that day.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Usually after, just because I don't like to take breakfast with me to eat between gym & work.
    (Though when I had my old job, I'd work out in late afternoon or sometimes later in the evening.)
    But exercising before breakfast does burn more stored fat than exercising after. (Because you're already running
    on glycogen, having probably used most glucose while you were sleeping, maybe even getting into the fat.)
    It's not a huge difference, so if eating after doesn't work into your schedule don't stress about it.
    Do what works best for you.