Overweight but want to start a challenge

Options
Hi, I am overweight and out of shape. I would love to do a 30 day challenge but I am afraid some the ones mentioned would do more harm then good. Any suggestions and anybody want I join me?

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Commit to a lifestyle change, not a 30 day “fix” and you’ll get what you’re after. Try moving more, drinking more water (1 - 1.5 gallons per day) and taking your sugar (in all forms) consumption down to an average of 50g or less per day. Those three things will do so much more good for you than any “challenge.”

• mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Agreed with the above. You'll be able to find something you'd like to improve by developing or reinforcing a new habit. I.e. more sleep, walk two miles four tines a week, or ride our run or swim or gym some achievable amount, eat healthier, skip late night snacking, whatever you need to work on, pick one, set a reasonable objective that requires you to work at it, and GO PUBLIC with your self challenge.
  • mwyvr
    Options
    Guess I should share what I did, I was 90-100 lbs over goal weight when I started and my first objective was to improve fitness. I had no real health problems other than weight, and years before I had been a distance runner and cyclist so naturally I picked what I knew and started running. I am not unhappy with my choice, now down 27kg, about 17 more to go and my fitness level is vastly improved. My personal challenge last sept was to make running no matter how slow, or short, a regular 3x a week or more activity. 770km later... :smile:
  • LessthanKris
    LessthanKris Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I started with a program and it got me hooked. I do not think a program or challenge equals a "fix". It is getting the habit started. I started with Body Revolution and I was overweight. It is a 90 program. It may not be the "challenge" you are looking for but I liked that my workouts were all laid out in a schedule and it got me hooked on working out. Maybe you can find a program you like but before you end the program, know what you are going to do next. I always plan out 90 days schedules for myself now. Sometimes it is a program or right now I put together my own 90 day schedule using Fitness Blender, Turbofire, and running. Find something you will look forward to doing.
  • Loreleiwalters
    Loreleiwalters Posts: 3 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Oh I am trying to change my lifestyle. I am more motivated by challenges and programs. I am cutting my sugars and taking plexus to help in the food area..now I'm ready to start the exercise portion! I do better with short term obtainable goals and sometimes thinking for life does more harm for me because I get discouraged. I have over 100 pounds to lose and need supportive people that might need short term objectives with me! Or have been like me and found something that worked
  • mwyvr
    Options
    You can manufacture your own challenges with ease. My short term goal when I started was to be able to run around the 2.4km dog park without stopping. I knew that would take a few months, and it did. Then a 5km run. Then 10km. Now training for half marathon. You don't have to run, I'm just demonstrating again here how *you* can make your own challenges up. Go public with them, enlist your friends online and in your own works to help you stick to them. If you truly make it *your* programme, your goal, your plan, you can make it happen. Don't wait for someone else.... That sounds like an excuse.

Believe me, I told myself excuses galore until I was 100 pounds heavier than I should be. The day I stopped buying my own BS excuses was the turnaround for me and there has not been a single day since last September when I embarked on this journey that I doubted I would achieve my long term goal.
  • cfp1981
    cfp1981 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Commit to a lifestyle change, not a 30 day “fix” and you’ll get what you’re after. Try moving more, drinking more water (1 - 1.5 gallons per day) and taking your sugar (in all forms) consumption down to an average of 50g or less per day. Those three things will do so much more good for you than any “challenge.”

What this man said.
  • jwolford90
    jwolford90 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    My biggest tip from one person who was severely overweight (and still slightly am, but losing weight well), cut the soda/pop and drink a lot of water. Also, try to avoid white bread, white rice, etc. Those alone can kill your calories if you eat them. Water is your best friend :) I know it seems tough at first, but there are ways to help it. There are several great water flavorings you can buy at a grocery store (or Walmart) or you can do lemon juice (fresh or bottled, whatever you prefer).

As for exercising, I know I had a difficult time beginning. The best advice is to go at your own pace. I know that a lot of people (and I did too) have the idea that you have to go hard or go home... that isn't true. Slow down and do what is okay for you. As long as your heart is pumping and you're getting a sweat, you're doing great! A slow walk is even fine too :) I walk at my local track to some music or I do youtube workout videos. You can find great workout videos for beginnings. I prefer the cardio videos so that I don't have to get in the floor and stuff because that sucks as a huge person lol