Over 40 looking to lose 70-75 lbs

Options
Jenkorp72
Jenkorp72 Posts: 103 Member
hi! I'm Jen and I'm in this to get down to a healthy weight! I'm trying the clean eating way and it's starting to work. Finding the right exercise program is harder because I can't really move to do anything! I'm so stiff I barely can do anything. I get in the treadmill to get something. Im looking for friends who want to help motivate me and who want a cheerleader in their corner! Feel free to add me!

Replies

• CleoTulose
    CleoTulose Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    :) I have been on this app for years. I don't know how to use it. I understand I'm 47 and can hardly walk. Stiffness in joints. Everything I have read says spinach salad berries fish are good and try to walk. Good Luck to you. I'm Kim by the way.
  • CAROLISWHOIAM
    CAROLISWHOIAM Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Am fighting depression and when I ate better and hut the gym felt better so here I am at 41 trying to achieve this all over.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Joined this site 5 years ago. It is an awesome tool and there is a lot of supportive folks on here. I am I suffer from both RA and Osteo Arthritis, and am over 60. So.....I know you can achieve your fitness goals. Good luck.
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    @Jenkorp72 hello from Oregon. I have been on this app for a couple of years. Off and on mostly but on the whole its really nice to be accountable. I am not really great with weight-training, or treadmills, but I love swimming. So I try to do that twice or more a week at a community center nearby. The nice thing about swimming is that it moves all your muscles and there really isn't any soreness or recovery time. I am 52 so I am not really in your age bracket. I wish to lose about the same as you. I try to log in every day, move every day, keep hydrated, not eat two hrs before bed, and go with the flow on this never-ending journey I am on. I will leave it up to you if you wish to add me. :-)
  • DMLC2014
    DMLC2014 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    CleoTulose wrote: »
    :) I have been on this app for years. I don't know how to use it. I understand I'm 47 and can hardly walk. Stiffness in joints. Everything I have read says spinach salad berries fish are good and try to walk. Good Luck to you. I'm Kim by the way.

just be careful eating too much spinach if you recovering---it can slow it down

You should try weighting--it is lots of fun!!

• Jenkorp72
    Options
    CleoTulose wrote: »

Cleo--I add spinach to my salad instead of making it the base. Also, I'm going to spend my day off today searching for exercise routines that start to stretch your muscles out so you can work out more easily. If I find anything I will post them here and in forums.
  • Jenkorp72
    Options
    Am fighting depression and when I ate better and hut the gym felt better so here I am at 41 trying to achieve this all over.

Carol--I understand completely! One day at a time! Even one hour at a time. I would like to add you as a friend if you don't mind.
  • Jenkorp72
    Options
    rileamoyer wrote: »
    Joined this site 5 years ago. It is an awesome tool and there is a lot of supportive folks on here. I am I suffer from both RA and Osteo Arthritis, and am over 60. So.....I know you can achieve your fitness goals. Good luck.

Thanks for the words of encouragement! I know this is the time it's going to happen for me! I feel it!
  • JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Your title fits my situation perfectly as well. 42/m living in South Carolina. We began working toward our new lifestyle in February and have enjoyed tremendous results so far. A bit over half way to my first goal of 75 pounds lost, and then I'll re-evaluate what's next, but I'm certainly not finished.

Good luck and keep up the great work!
  • ladykeaton
    ladykeaton Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hello from NC! My name is Yvette and although I"m not new to this site....I haven't been consistent with logging in. I'm a little over 5'9 @ 257 pounds. Although I do not look like I weight that much, my hip pain is telling me I DO weigh that much. I have to lose weight in order to avoid a hip replacement. I've been logging everything, exercising and drinking plenty of water upon receiving the news. Avoiding surgery is a great motivator, but would also like some friends / support from others on the journey. Thanks!
  • skifvr1
    skifvr1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi--I'm 44 years old, 5'3", and I've lost anywhere from 30-45 pounds FIVE different times, and I've gained it all back. Needless to say, the older you get the harder it gets--or at least that's my perception. Maybe it's just an excuse. I have started to have a lot more aches and pains in the last year or so, and I think it's directly related to the extra 40-50 pounds I'm hauling around. I've started walking again, and I'm using this app to count calories. I, too, and trying to eat clean(er). Let's help each other and good luck to all!
  • Jenkorp72
    Options
    JohnBarth wrote: »
    Your title fits my situation perfectly as well. 42/m living in South Carolina. We began working toward our new lifestyle in February and have enjoyed tremendous results so far. A bit over half way to my first goal of 75 pounds lost, and then I'll re-evaluate what's next, but I'm certainly not finished.

Thanks! That's a great motivating story! I can do it!
  • Annr
    Options
    JohnBarth wrote: »

Congrats on your journey so far!
  • Annr
    Options
    ladykeaton wrote: »
    Hello from NC! My name is Yvette and although I"m not new to this site....I haven't been consistent with logging in. I'm a little over 5'9 @ 257 pounds. Although I do not look like I weight that much, my hip pain is telling me I DO weigh that much. I have to lose weight in order to avoid a hip replacement. I've been logging everything, exercising and drinking plenty of water upon receiving the news. Avoiding surgery is a great motivator, but would also like some friends / support from others on the journey. Thanks!

I am running about 249 lbs presently, its a tough journey. I have decided its just a matter of reprograming my brain, so I took some chalkboard paint and painted some heavy cardboard squares to put up in my kitchen. The chalkboard paint makes they easy to change up. So I write on them things to remember. Like simple things, ie: Move Every Day.....Kitchen is closed 2 Hrs Before Bed......You Bite It, You Write (log) It.....stuff that keeps me on track. Anything helps right...so I pulled out all the stops. :-)
  • Jenkorp72
    Options
    Kicking this back to the top! Still looking for friends in my age range or weight loss goal range! Both would be fabulous, but not necessary!
  • wwh140
    wwh140 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I'm 50 and am trying to lose all these pounds that seem to have found ME over the years! LOL I am making small changes at a time this time around so as not to be overwhelmed with too many changes at once. I am doing much better with my eating but have just started trying to add in some exercise. I started walking on the treadmill this week and am taking it slow by adding just a minute or two each day. I must say, I do feel better after that brief bit of exercise. Feel free to add me if you'd like. I can use all the motivation and encouragement I can get also. :) Good luck on your journey!
  • kscarf1
    kscarf1 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi Jen! I am 43 and looking to lose 100 pounds (down almost 15 so far). Feel free to add me as a friend. Good luck!
  • jbiese511
    jbiese511 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am also over 40 and looking to lose about 70 pounds. 80 would be even nicer. I've been tracking pretty regularly since January and am down a total of 22 pounds since last August (about 10 since January). Trying to eat less sugar, more cleanly, lots of water, and getting 10,000 steps a day on my Fitbit. It's slow going, but any amount down is better than up :)
  • drzoltar
    drzoltar Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi Jen, I'm Joe. I lost 70 lbs in 16 months and I started after my 40th birthday and kept if off for 2+ years so it can be done. The key for me was changing the types of food I ate. I'm happy to share what worked for me if you'd like.
  • Jenkorp72
    Options
    drzoltar wrote: »
    Hi Jen, I'm Joe. I lost 70 lbs in 16 months and I started after my 40th birthday and kept if off for 2+ years so it can be done. The key for me was changing the types of food I ate. I'm happy to share what worked for me if you'd like.

Yes please! I'm enjoying the clean eating lifestyle. I'm an 80/20 follower and any advice would be wonderful! Thanks so much!