Views on corn?

Options

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    jwolford90 wrote: »
    Most sites that I see recommend 1200, so that's what I've been following. No need for condescending comments lol. I do appreciate the concern though. I will look into the proper amount. Also, thanks for the input on the corn ^_^

What kinds of sites have you been on? The only times I can think of anyone gets told to eat 1200 (and even then it's often too little) is for women.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Corn is just a grain. There's no reason to avoid grains, just count the calories (as you should with everything) and be aware that it's more calorie dense than a non-starchy vegetable.

IMO, fresh sweet corn is one of the best foods ever and I live in a corn producing state, so I eat a ton of it when it's in season and lost lots of weight last year when doing so. I don't tend to eat it out of season since I'm picky about it, but no harm at all from eating a can of it. I'd maybe check how much sodium is in the can and choose frozen instead if that's an issue for you.

(And I agree that 1200 is almost certainly too low for you.)
  • fastforlife1
    fastforlife1 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I'm a 59 year old grandma who has to stick to 1200 calories for good weight loss. You should be doing at least 1800 calories unless you're only 4 ft tall.
  • amk165
    amk165 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Don't knock the mayo until you try it! Grilled Corn with mayo, rolled in queso cotilla. Sprinkle with some salt and maybe some lime or chilli powder...good eats!

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    amk165 wrote: »
    Don't knock the mayo until you try it! Grilled Corn with mayo, rolled in queso cotilla. Sprinkle with some salt and maybe some lime or chilli powder...good eats!

How dare you desecrate a good ear of sweet corn with all that stuff????????????

• Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options

giphy.gif

Hell yeah!! That's how you eat corn!! :+1:

f2414030636429d972301d814ab53682.jpg
  • fevrale
    fevrale Posts: 170 Member
    Options

YESSSSS, that's my view of corn! My dinner tonight was grilled corn, Mexican street food style. But I make the cream mixture with Mexican crema, lime juice, garlic, and a bit of mayonnaise then rolled in crumbled cotija, cilantro, smoked paprika, and cayenne.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I love corn and include it in my diet often. Polenta/whole kernel grits, corn on the cob, corn tortillas, and my beloved popcorn cooked in coconut oils. YUM. All of it. You can have everything you want, just not all at once, and probably not every day. :D
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

How dare you desecrate a good ear of sweet corn with all that stuff????????????

That's how I feel.

They sell it on the street on hot days here, which really doesn't make it seem more appealing to me.

I am sure it's what you are used to, however.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    I heard corn gives you deja vu.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I prefer it on the cob with a little butter and salt, accompanied by steak and rolls.

PS - You should be eating more than 1200 calories. The minimum suggested for males tends to be between 1500 and 1800. It's no wonder you're hungry.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    1200 is not enough for you.

secondly corn is the only food I do not believe is real food.

it goes out the same way it looks when it went in- it's not food.

That being said- it's delicious and I eat it every summer. Lots of it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Corn is a whole food...so it must be the devil.

Srsly, corn is fine, there's nothing wrong with carbs...but there is everything wrong with a 25 year old male eating 1200 calories.
    I agree with the French on this one.... Corn is fed to cows to make them fat....

^^^This is also an extremely ignorant comment.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    there is nothing wrong with corn, it is delicious…

also, why is a 25 year old male eating 1200 calories a day????

if you are that hungry that is probably a signal that you are not eating enough. Let me guess you have eliminated a bunch of foods that you view as "bad" like ice cream, bread, pasta, etc…???

^^^This...

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Corn is a whole food...so it must be the devil.

Srsly, corn is fine, there's nothing wrong with carbs...but there is everything wrong with a 25 year old male eating 1200 calories.
    I agree with the French on this one.... Corn is fed to cows to make them fat....

^^^This is also an extremely ignorant comment.

^^^All of this...

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    I heard corn gives you deja vu.

:D;):#:p

I was trying to think of a clever way to bring this up. Deja vu is perfect.
  • slucki01
    slucki01 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with eating corn, although, two cans does seem a bit excessive
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I don't get it.

If people are so convinced that 1200 is the way to go, why not eat 600? Why not eat only 1 calorie a day? Call it the "Tic Tac Diet."

Heck, why eat at all.

SMH
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Btw... just around Easter, all I heard was how "fattening" bananas were and how "bad they were for you." Now its corn. Who in the loonisphere is demonizing corn now? Is it the Food Babe and her minions? Is it the cloven-footed Doctor Oz?

If I ever leave this world alive...
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    My views on corn?

I view corn, I eat it.