Paleo diet vs plant based diet

Options

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    OP, what foods do you like to eat? Of those foods, which are the most nutrient dense?

Eat those most of the time.

Of the foods you like to eat, considering those that aren't that nutritionally dense? Save them for treats after you've satisfied your nutritional needs.

Make sure you're eating an appropriate number of calories.

There. Everything I've just said will give you a sustainable way of eating for life. You don't have to take on any special "diet".
  • LadyFencer
    LadyFencer Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I think another thing to consider is what people in the so-called blue zones eat. These are the longest lived people in the world and none of them eat vegan or Paleo. But they all eat a lot of unprocessed plant foods, which is ideally how both of those diets work.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    LadyFencer wrote: »
    I think another thing to consider is what people in the so-called blue zones eat. These are the longest lived people in the world and none of them eat vegan or Paleo. But they all eat a lot of unprocessed plant foods, which is ideally how both of those diets work.

There's never been a successful vegan culture (free of omnivores) and anyone who ate a true Paleolithic diet is long since extinct. We have a huge variety of foods available to us, some of which are more suited to some people than they are to others. We should take advantage of those foods that are best for our individual bodies and never mind the labels or messing with things to make them "work." An omnivorous diet "works," in all its variations. What else do we need?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I have been vegan for nine years, but I am pretty suspicious of many plant-based claims.

Veganism is an ethical position on animal exploitation. Plant-based seems, too often, like a lot of pseudoscience, trendiness, and inflated claims.
  • Dofflin
    Dofflin Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I have been vegan for nine years, but I am pretty suspicious of many plant-based claims.

Veganism is an ethical position on animal exploitation. Plant-based seems, too often, like a lot of pseudoscience, trendiness, and inflated claims.

yes it does.
    I think eating clean, working out, sleeping and hydrating are the best combination.
    "eating clean" depends on your level of research into nutrition and personal beliefs.
    Also, small accumulated changes are a powerful thing and as others have noted, not as glamorous or sexy as the latest fad.
  • rrruuunnn
    rrruuunnn Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    A new book came out called "blue zone". It claimed that the healthiest longest living people were plant based.
  • LadyFencer
    LadyFencer Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Plant based is a problematic term. It's being used by Engine 2 etc to mean no animal products at all. None of the blue zone cultures eat that way completely with the exception of Loma Linda - and in that case only some of the population does.
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the one called, I can do this for the rest of my life cuz it's not a diet, it's a lifestyle.
    I eat plants. Lots and lots of plants. The vegetable kind and the fruit kind. I eat meat. And I pay attention to how I feel, how my body is acting/reacting. I have minimal dairy. Pretty much if it comes in a package, it's not in my house. However, nothing is off limits. It has to be a sustainable way of life no matter what label you put on it.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I have yet to meet anyone who can eat the same things that a person did during the Paleolithic era, since most of those foods are not available. Plants have evolved or are extinct. Animals, same thing. Seriously,
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    The best diet is one that you can stick with for life and that satisfies your nutritional needs. That encompasses a wide variety of food plans.
  • GoPerfectHealth
    GoPerfectHealth Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Well, clearly people have visceral responses to labels. I tend to believe that consistency of calorie deficit is most important when losing weight. It is easier to be consistent if you aren't hungry so adopting a way of eating that will keep you feeling satisfied and is also in line with any personal beliefs about food is a good start.
  • nicolette44
    nicolette44 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Two weeks into Paleo and I've lost 15lbs. Easy to follow and really makes you think how I over ate before. Only side effect so far is tiredness, but this is just my body adjusting. Skin better and I have literally lost my jelly belly. #happygirl
  • marilandica
    marilandica Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Eat real food, just less of it. Oh, and exercise more. It may not be easy, but it sure isn't complicated.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I feel like this question is like comparing cardio to weight lifting. not so much of the making of sense.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    LadyFencer wrote: »
    Plant based is a problematic term. It's being used by Engine 2 etc to mean no animal products at all. None of the blue zone cultures eat that way completely with the exception of Loma Linda - and in that case only some of the population does.

Right. I've always understood "plant based" to mean vegan without the ethical component (or non food related stuff, like no leather). Using it in all these various ways doesn't further comprehension.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I feel like this question is like comparing cardio to weight lifting. not so much of the making of sense.

^This.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I eat keto, which is similar to paleo in some ways. It's the only WOE that has worked for me. My advice is to try whichever one you feel you can keep up and see what happens.

How is keto similar to paleo?

Both watch carbs and both encourage the eating of nuts. The only real differences I've seen is that paleo restricts dairy, and with keto, it's best to keep the net carbs to 20g.

I know a few people who do paleo...they don't watch carbs...they don't eat wheat, but they eat potatoes and sweet potatoes and corn, etc...these are carbs and my friends are nowhere near the low level of carb intake to even remotely be close to keto.
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Both Paleo and Plant Based diets have these same foods:

kale, spinach, collard greens, romaine, broccoli, peppers, onions, asparagus, carrots, tomatoes, apples, bananas, oranges, pears, avocados, strawberries, blueberries, potatoes, sweet potatoes, yams, turnips, beets, almonds, pecans, macadamia nuts, walnuts, hazelnuts, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, coconuts, olives.

My diet consists of all of these things as well...
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    I'll just drop this little tidbit here. Waaaay back before Cordain wrote his book, there was a book out in the 90's called Neanderthin, and people back then who ate paleo followed that. I was one of them.

Back then? Paleo was basically low carbing without the dairy. IIRC... Non-starchy veggies, berries, nuts, eggs, meats, fish, and a grudging allowance for cold-pressed olive oil.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I don't like diet names. The vast majority of what i eat is whole foods, fruits, veggies, meat of all kinds, fish, poultry, eggs, nuts & seeds. By default, not by necessity, I eat lesser amounts of grains & dairy. I eat very little processed foods, and when I do opt for a "treat" it's done guilt free.