Exercising daily - now my knees are sore?

Options
Hey all!

I've gotten back into the exercise and diet routine for the first time in about 2-3 years. I exercise 6 days a week. I do Body Pump 3 times a week, then a mix of cardio fitness classes and treadmill the remaining 6 days.

I've noticed lately that my knees are starting to feel a little sore. It could be the way I squat in Body Pump, or the high impact of Body Attack, I don't know.

I especially noticed it on Saturday night when trying to get low to Flo Rida's 'Get Low' on the dance floor (LOL), it really hurt!

My question is I guess, has anyone else noticed this? Is it just my body adjusting to exercise? Or should I not be experiencing this and there's something wrong with my technique/form?

Replies

• mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    What type of shoes are you using? Did you just pick some up randomly at a store, or did you have a salesperson discuss and do a gait analysis, etc., to pick the right shoe? Having the right shoe for you that's not worn out can make all the difference.

It also may just be that you're doing too much, too quickly and your knees can't cope. If you jumped into training 6 days a week without any easing in period, your joints may just not be ready for it.

If you think it could be your squats, slow down and check your form (or better yet, get the instructor to!) in the class - it's what the gym mirrors are for, besides checking yourself out in general that is ;)
  • baybeejulia
    baybeejulia Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    What type of shoes are you using? Did you just pick some up randomly at a store, or did you have a salesperson discuss and do a gait analysis, etc., to pick the right shoe? Having the right shoe for you that's not worn out can make all the difference.

It also may just be that you're doing too much, too quickly and your knees can't cope. If you jumped into training 6 days a week without any easing in period, your joints may just not be ready for it.

If you think it could be your squats, slow down and check your form (or better yet, get the instructor to!) in the class - it's what the gym mirrors are for, besides checking yourself out in general that is ;)

Haha - thanks for that! I don't think it is my shoes, they are expensive Nike (or Adidas, can't remember lol) and I've always used them with no problems.

You may be right about the body not being used to it thing. I've spoken to the instructor and she's told me not to squat so low and focus on my form for a while and see if that helps.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

Haha - thanks for that! I don't think it is my shoes, they are expensive Nike (or Adidas, can't remember lol) and I've always used them with no problems.

You may be right about the body not being used to it thing. I've spoken to the instructor and she's told me not to squat so low and focus on my form for a while and see if that helps.

Expensive doesn't mean good FYI.

If you went from 0 to 6 days a week, that's probably part of it. And it might partially be the shoes. Nikes and Adidas are typically squishy running shoes, not the best for squats even in a group class like that.
  • mangrothian
    Options

No probs :) Although I will say in regards to the shoes, just because they're expensive and worked for general low-level exercise or walking, they may not be great for constant high impact workouts like you're doing (for example, there is not a single pair of Nikes or Adidas shoes I can workout in, no matter how expensive they are; they all make my knees/shins/hips hurt). Especially running on a treadmill or road; you have no idea how suitable your shoes really are for you until you start running in them.

I'm only stressing this because you said 'always', as in you were using them before you started your gym routine - of which I say kudos to you for keeping up with, as those classes are some pretty intense workouts :) If you've been wearing them for more than a year, I'd replace them tbh.
  • slp51
    slp51 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    The treadmill is killer for joints. How about trying the elliptical for awhile?

And I strongly agree about your shoes. You need strong shoes to hold you steady as you pump. Go to a running store and get assessed.
  • baybeejulia
    Options
    Gee, so many rules haha! In that case, I will definitely go to a shoe store and get assessed in that case. And yea, I have had them shoes for a few years, probably in need of a new pair.
    slp51 wrote: »

And I strongly agree about your shoes. You need strong shoes to hold you steady as you pump. Go to a running store and get assessed.

lol actually, I love the treadmill cos it bumps my daily steps on FitBit and helps me win the friend challenges! I might just have to get better shoes.
  • mangrothian
    Options
    Gee, so many rules haha! In that case, I will definitely go to a shoe store and get assessed in that case. And yea, I have had them shoes for a few years, probably in need of a new pair.

lol actually, I love the treadmill cos it bumps my daily steps on FitBit and helps me win the friend challenges! I might just have to get better shoes.

Fyi, the elliptical still counts as steps on your fitbit ;)
  • baybeejulia
    Options

Fyi, the elliptical still counts as steps on your fitbit ;)

Seriously? That's awesome! Thanks :smile:
  • cfp1981
    cfp1981 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I get knee pain especially if I have been sitting for a long period at work. I'm also flat footed, so running etc really causes havoc for my knees - if you're flat footed also it could be contributing to your knee pain. There is nothing really wrong with squatting low, infact, you may not be doing yourself too many favours by squatting high:

http://www.biomechfit.com/2012/02/09/3-squatting-myths-that-refuse-to-die

To keep my knee pain under control I take ibuprofen, try not to remain sitting for too long, warm up thoroughly before exercising (mainly weights) and I wear knee sleeves whilst squatting to keep them warm. After exercise you may want to ice the knees aswell.

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=43529

http://www.patient.co.uk/health/chondromalacia-patellae-leaflet

Hope this helps somewhat.
  • baybeejulia
    Options
    cfp1981 wrote: »
    I get knee pain especially if I have been sitting for a long period at work. I'm also flat footed, so running etc really causes havoc for my knees - if you're flat footed also it could be contributing to your knee pain. There is nothing really wrong with squatting low, infact, you may not be doing yourself too many favours by squatting high:

http://www.biomechfit.com/2012/02/09/3-squatting-myths-that-refuse-to-die

To keep my knee pain under control I take ibuprofen, try not to remain sitting for too long, warm up thoroughly before exercising (mainly weights) and I wear knee sleeves whilst squatting to keep them warm. After exercise you may want to ice the knees aswell.

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=43529

http://www.patient.co.uk/health/chondromalacia-patellae-leaflet

Hope this helps somewhat.

Thanks so much for a detailed response :smile:

I'm actually the opposite, my arch is too high!

The reason my instructor said not to squat low is so that I can focus on my form, once I am sure I am doing my squats properly and not injuring myself, I can squat low.
  • cfp1981
    cfp1981 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    No problem, squat form can be a tricky one to nail, and there is a lot of contradicting advice out there, hard to know which to follow. I personally found the tip of releasing my hips first before starting the descent and sitting back rather than down helped, but I wish you luck in finding what works for you!
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Hey all!

I've gotten back into the exercise and diet routine for the first time in about 2-3 years. I exercise 6 days a week. I do Body Pump 3 times a week, then a mix of cardio fitness classes and treadmill the remaining 6 days.

I've noticed lately that my knees are starting to feel a little sore. It could be the way I squat in Body Pump, or the high impact of Body Attack, I don't know.

I especially noticed it on Saturday night when trying to get low to Flo Rida's 'Get Low' on the dance floor (LOL), it really hurt!

My question is I guess, has anyone else noticed this? Is it just my body adjusting to exercise? Or should I not be experiencing this and there's something wrong with my technique/form?

So, to clarify: 6 days a week you're doing a cardio class or treadmill, plus on three of those days doing Body Pump?

There's this phenomenon called "rest days", you may have heard of them; they're actually really important for muscle and joint recovery. Chances are, it's not (just) your shoes, but that you're over working yourself.

If you're in pain, that's your bodies way of communicating that you need to stop and re-evaluate the amount of exercise you're doing; at least for a little while.
  • baybeejulia
    Options
    So, to clarify: 6 days a week you're doing a cardio class or treadmill, plus on three of those days doing Body Pump?

There's this phenomenon called "rest days", you may have heard of them; they're actually really important for muscle and joint recovery. Chances are, it's not (just) your shoes, but that you're over working yourself.

If you're in pain, that's your bodies way of communicating that you need to stop and re-evaluate the amount of exercise you're doing; at least for a little while.

Yea. That's right.

I am well acquainted with the 'phenomenon' of rest days. Sundays are my rest days.

For someone as unfit as me, my routine is an incredible achievement, compromising it would compromise my health and fitness altogether as I'd lose my motivation. I don't agree that my body is trying to communicate to me that I need to stop. Exercise has never been bad for you.
  • peterjens
    peterjens Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Sounds like overuse to me. Take a break with the impact workout. Incorporate swimming into your workout.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Don't laugh, but I do the majority of my walking everyday (10+ miles) wearing thongs, I think Americans call them flip flops.
    When the weather cools down I'll have to wear my runners! :disappointed:
  • mangrothian
    Options
    Don't laugh, but I do the majority of my walking everyday (10+ miles) wearing thongs, I think Americans call them flip flops.

Walking is a bit different though, and if she's started an exercise routine and has sore knees, minimalist definitely aint the way to go.

That, and I think us Aussies have evolved to be able to do everything in thongs / flip flops. One of my uni professors used to do marathon running in them.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Untrue about the treadmill. Lots and lots of physical therapists use the treadmill for patients.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    OP, the reason why your knees hurt is due to overuse. You jumped into an aggressive attack on exercise and not being conditioned, your tendons in your knees are likely inflamed. More than likely it's Patellar Tendinitis.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • baybeejulia
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    OP, the reason why your knees hurt is due to overuse. You jumped into an aggressive attack on exercise and not being conditioned, your tendons in your knees are likely inflamed. More than likely it's Patellar Tendinitis.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I'm not sure what that is lol, but to qualify, the pain isn't that bad, not even bad enough to make me stop 'getting low', just hurts a bit.
  • baybeejulia
    Options

Walking is a bit different though, and if she's started an exercise routine and has sore knees, minimalist definitely aint the way to go.

That, and I think us Aussies have evolved to be able to do everything in thongs / flip flops. One of my uni professors used to do marathon running in them.

Hello fellow Aussies! :smiley:

My husband and I live in thongs haha - but I definitely don't exercise in them. Although my husband does.